1 million D70 sold in less than year.

Deryck
12 answers Last reply
More about nikon confirm d70s

    deryck lant wrote:
    > http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/03/31/nikon/index.php
    >
    > New DSLR range on way.
    >
    > 1 million D70 sold in less than year.

    I thought that it was a hoax, until dpreview started censoring posts
    about these new models, and until Ken Rockwell claimed that they were
    not real. Once I saw those two things happen, I knew that they were
    real.

    Steve
    "http://digitalslrinfo.com"

    "deryck lant" <deryck@deryck.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/03/31/nikon/index.php
    >
    > New DSLR range on way.
    >
    > 1 million D70 sold in less than year.

    I have a feeling Nikon is going to use the D70 as a standard for it's line
    of prosumer DSLR's. I wouldn't be surprised to see a DSLR that is cheaper
    and with less whistles and bells than the D70, just to get some market share
    from Canon. Problem is, if the newer D70 is a better camera than the
    original, and the same price, will you see a glut of used D70's on the
    market as owners upgrade? IMO it would be better for Nikon to keep the D70
    and come out with a new entry level DSLR in a price range that will bring in
    a new set of buyers.

    Sheldon

    "Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> writes:
    > I have a feeling Nikon is going to use the D70 as a standard for
    > it's line of prosumer DSLR's. I wouldn't be surprised to see a DSLR
    > that is cheaper and with less whistles and bells than the D70, just
    > to get some market share from Canon. Problem is, if the newer D70
    > is a better camera than the original, and the same price, will you
    > see a glut of used D70's on the market as owners upgrade? IMO it
    > would be better for Nikon to keep the D70 and come out with a new
    > entry level DSLR in a price range that will bring in a new set of buyers.

    The D70s is just a slight update of the D70. The new entry level
    camera is the D50, which is sort of like the Digital Rebel. One
    big change is the D50 uses SD cards instead of compact flash.

    Personally I've been interested in a D70 for a while, so if prices
    for them drop from the D70s coming out, I'll be happy to grab a bargain
    rather than pay a lot extra for the D70s's small improvement. A D70
    after rebate is already available for under $800 online. I refuse
    to send in rebates but maybe they'll be in the $700 range on closeout.

    Does the D70s have MLU (mirror lock up)?

    Gregor

    "deryck lant" <deryck@deryck.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.macworld.com/news/2005/03/31/nikon/index.php
    >
    > New DSLR range on way.
    >
    > 1 million D70 sold in less than year.
    >
    > Deryck

    newp.

    "Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid> wrote in message
    > "Sheldon" <sheldon@XXXXXXXXsopris.net> writes:
    >> I have a feeling Nikon is going to use the D70 as a standard for
    >> it's line of prosumer DSLR's. I wouldn't be surprised to see a DSLR
    >> that is cheaper and with less whistles and bells than the D70, just
    >> to get some market share from Canon. Problem is, if the newer D70
    >> is a better camera than the original, and the same price, will you
    >> see a glut of used D70's on the market as owners upgrade? IMO it
    >> would be better for Nikon to keep the D70 and come out with a new
    >> entry level DSLR in a price range that will bring in a new set of buyers.
    >
    > The D70s is just a slight update of the D70. The new entry level
    > camera is the D50, which is sort of like the Digital Rebel. One
    > big change is the D50 uses SD cards instead of compact flash.
    >
    > Personally I've been interested in a D70 for a while, so if prices
    > for them drop from the D70s coming out, I'll be happy to grab a bargain
    > rather than pay a lot extra for the D70s's small improvement. A D70
    > after rebate is already available for under $800 online. I refuse
    > to send in rebates but maybe they'll be in the $700 range on closeout.

    Refuse to send in rebates? How do you buy electronic equipment in 2005 and
    refuse to send in rebates? I think, the way things are going, is that all
    computer/electronic equipment is going to be priced one thousand dollars,
    the final price, though, will be determined by the rebate. A cheap memory
    card will be $20, intitially $1000 minus a $1980 rebate. You'll need to
    send in any vowels typed on the package to get the rebate.

    LarryLOOK wrote:

    > Refuse to send in rebates? How do you buy electronic equipment in 2005 and
    > refuse to send in rebates? I think, the way things are going, is that all
    > computer/electronic equipment is going to be priced one thousand dollars,
    > the final price, though, will be determined by the rebate. A cheap memory
    > card will be $20, intitially $1000 minus a $1980 rebate. You'll need to
    > send in any vowels typed on the package to get the rebate.

    One of the biggest reasons that manufacturers have embraced large
    rebates, on big ticket items, is that it prevents product returns. Most
    people will send in rebates for $100 or more, so the manufacturer isn't
    making money from people failing to submit the paperwork for the large
    rebates.

    Does it have at least a faster, more reliable auto focus? How about a
    battery grip? How about a larger buffer to hold more RAW images? Does it
    finally, after all this wait, support USB 2.0 at high speeds? - At least the
    D2Hs comes with larger buffers than the D2H and better support for wireless
    I/O.

    Gregor

    "Yakov Chiu" <chiuynospam@sbc.com> wrote in message
    > LarryLOOK wrote:
    >
    >> Refuse to send in rebates? How do you buy electronic equipment in 2005
    >> and refuse to send in rebates? I think, the way things are going, is
    >> that all computer/electronic equipment is going to be priced one thousand
    >> dollars, the final price, though, will be determined by the rebate. A
    >> cheap memory card will be $20, intitially $1000 minus a $1980 rebate.
    >> You'll need to send in any vowels typed on the package to get the rebate.
    >
    > One of the biggest reasons that manufacturers have embraced large rebates,
    > on big ticket items, is that it prevents product returns. Most people will
    > send in rebates for $100 or more, so the manufacturer isn't making money
    > from people failing to submit the paperwork for the large rebates.

    It's also a good way for states with sales taxes to collect more money. The
    sales tax is charged on the initial purchase price, not on the final rebated
    price. So that $1000 item rebated down to $20 still collects $60-85 in tax.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Yakov Chiu <chiuynospam@sbc.com> writes:
    > One of the biggest reasons that manufacturers have embraced large
    > rebates, on big ticket items, is that it prevents product
    > returns. Most people will send in rebates for $100 or more, so the
    > manufacturer isn't making money from people failing to submit the
    > paperwork for the large rebates.

    Usually you have 30 days to send the rebate in, which is generally
    long enough to decide whether to keep the product.

    What they really hope is that you won't send in the rebate. I used to
    do that (at least for small rebates--I didn't buy anything with big
    rebates). But that just plays into their wishes, so I don't do it any
    more. I just don't buy anything with a rebate. If something is $20
    with no rebate, and I'm willing to pay $20 for it, I buy it. If it's
    $20 with a $5 rebate, I buy some other product with no rebate instead,
    even though I could just pay $20 and ignore the rebate on the first
    product.

    > Yakov Chiu <chiuynospam@sbc.com> writes:
    > > One of the biggest reasons that manufacturers have embraced large
    > > rebates, on big ticket items, is that it prevents product
    > > returns. Most people will send in rebates for $100 or more, so the
    > > manufacturer isn't making money from people failing to submit the
    > > paperwork for the large rebates.
    >
    > Usually you have 30 days to send the rebate in, which is generally
    > long enough to decide whether to keep the product.
    >
    > What they really hope is that you won't send in the rebate. I used to
    > do that (at least for small rebates--I didn't buy anything with big
    > rebates). But that just plays into their wishes, so I don't do it any
    > more. I just don't buy anything with a rebate. If something is $20
    > with no rebate, and I'm willing to pay $20 for it, I buy it. If it's
    > $20 with a $5 rebate, I buy some other product with no rebate instead,
    > even though I could just pay $20 and ignore the rebate on the first
    > product.

    I think many send in the rebates early so they won't miss the deadline
    later. My cellphone had a $50 rebate. The fine print said, once a rebate
    request was requested, the phone could no longer be returned. I bought a
    laptop once where they wanted the bar code on the packaging. And there were
    5 barcodes there! I had to call them to be sure which they wanted. They
    were probably praying I'd send the wrong one! It's out of control.

    paul <paul@not.net> wrote:

    > newp.

    Nikon NEVER listens to their customers.

Nikon Photo DSLRs Cameras