Sign in with
Your question

Need Help Asus M5a78L-m USB3

Last response: in Motherboards
September 21, 2012 8:46:41 PM

Help Asus M5A78L-M USB3
hello i bought an M5A78L-M USB3 motherboard also with a stick of 4GB RAM and AMD FX 6100 6-Cores 3.3 Ghz 14.0MB Total Cache i have installed them into my computer but nothing will show on the monitor i have used the VGA port and also the HDMI port to a HD TV and still no result the PSU i have is a 300 Watt could that be the problem???

Thanks in advance

More about : asus m5a78l usb3

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 137 V Motherboard
September 21, 2012 9:16:32 PM

Without specifics, my best guess is that the BIOS is too old for the 6100. It needs to be BIOS 0411 and I would bet on that board only having a first release BIOS (even if you just bought it).

Do you have a discreet GPU to use to rule out the on board graphics being faulty, at least?
September 21, 2012 9:33:51 PM

i have another GPU and have tryed that it was an Nvidia geforce 210 i know its a low spec GPU just used to test and and that didnt work with the monitor or the HD TV how would i go about updating my BIOS and what BIOS update will i need?
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 137 V Motherboard
September 21, 2012 9:53:53 PM

You'll need at least BIOS 0411, but you might as well upgrade to the latest, since you'll be updating anyway. Go here http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A78LMUSB... and download BIOS 1401.

As far as how you do it? That's a bit more complicated. The act of updating isn't hard (you just put the new BIOS on a FAT32 formatted USB drive and use EZ Flash 2 in the BIOS itself and it's mostly automatic), BUT you need a non-FX CPU installed to do it.

You can either borrow one or try to find and buy the cheapest CPU that works with the 0204 BIOS listed here http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A78LMUSB...

In all honesty, it might just be easier to return the board and get a 970/990 board. None of those have integrated graphics though, so if you have to have integrated graphics, a 880G board with integrated graphics is your best option. You might run into the same problem you have now with a 880G board, but it's less likely.

Edit: Also, just to make sure I understand you correctly, you tried both the on board graphics and the discreet card, right?
September 23, 2012 11:41:41 AM

Sorry to crash this thread, but im having an issue with the exact same MB. My PC wont find any wireless internet connections...only wired or USB connections. I think ive installed the correct LAN drivers, and still no success. Any help would be great. Thanks.
!