Motherboard or cpu?

grassonone

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
HI I have a gigabyte board B75m-D3H with latest F11 bios. I have a G540 cpu .I keep getting black lines in windows ,even bios menu has it.
I have tried a video card and when I installed that old 7300gt all is good.
So I figure it has to be bios settings,but what.
I am now looking at video memory and frequency I just changed the mem on the integrated graphics to 32 ram (64 is default) and freq at 950 ,got to desktop and no lines running at 1280x1024,when I restart machine lines come back.This has happened a few times today. Anyone have any ideas. Pls Thks

grassonone

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
It seems problerm is still there.I got new mobo back and it is still doing it.I took out 1 ram stick and lines are gone.I tested other ram stick in each slot and both sticks are good just not together.So I did a processor test and cpu failed ,platform controller hub test fail.I guess it could be a crappy processor.Anyone ? Thks

I know that it wasn't your decision to replace the motherboard, but it at least proves that it wasn't the issue. If the processor tests failed, then I'd presume that it's defective. They could hardly refuse to replace it since they now know that it isn't the motherboard (unless you're very unlucky and got another bad one). Are you using a quality PSU and are all voltages within specs?

grassonone

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
I have not tested memory ,I got in touch with Intel and they RMA'ed the processor since the graphics is on that. I got in touch with Gskill and they said if needed to also RMA the ram, but I have been told on Gskill forums that the mobo should take ram at default settings. I'll wait and see. Thks