I got an increasing in the cpu temp please help

termnator

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
helloo
i have a problem now
i instaled the nvidia gtx 560 Ti 2 G from msi *(with 2 Fan)
and i got the new power supply from gamma 600 wat
and its looks likes everything is okay no crashing no freezing just nothing
but...
i was playing battlefield 3 online
and everything looks great
but i noticed that that theres is a high sound from the fan of the preocessor
and i tryied to check the temp and i found the fowloing results during playing bf3 :

core1: 73 C some times reached the 75 C
core 2: 64 C
core 3 : 65 C
core 4 : 72 C

in normal time this is the result :
core 1:52 C
core 2 : 49 C
core 3: 48 C
core 4 : 46 C

my Q here : is that NORMAL ????
if not ?? so what i have to do?
any idea???
do i have to change the motherboard??
do i have to find a methof to cool dowen the processor ??????
i hope that i can find the answer

thanx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
informationg about my case : (before the upgrade)

i am bout to upgrade my graphic card
i have the nvidia gtx 550 ti (gigabyte)
i want to use the gtx 560 (MSI) 2 G 2 Fan
my pc component is:
processor intel core 2 Quad 9550Q @2.86GH
RAM : 8 G DDR3
motherboard:G41mt-s2p (gigabyte)
power supply: 450 W and i can upgrade it to 550 W
can i upgrade to this card ??
thanx

signor

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
By the sounds of it your setup is perfectly fine and the upgrade should run smoothly.

Your issue could be one of 2 things.

1) the game isn't fully utilizing all of your CPU's Cores.
2) Your CPU is not distributing heat evenly, re-apply thermal paste.

In general the temps which you are seeing are slightly odd but nothing to worry about, if you want to be certain then I would recommend gettings some new thermal paste and applying it correctly; alternatively if you want to really make sure then get yourself an after market CPU cooler.

A further point to bare in mind is that with you upgrading to a GPU which has higher air flow this will effect the overall airflow of your system, im pressuming that your case is decent however to prolong the lifetime of your new card I would suggest you give your case a good clean out during the upgrade.

Thanks
Sig

truegenius

Distinguished
BANNED
according to me
52 in normal (idle) is not realy normal.
70'c is dead end for cpu

ark.intel.com/products/33924/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q9550-(12M-Cache-2_83-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB)

Reapply the thermal paste and remount the heat sink. (use gond quality paste and apply it evenly and use right amount neither too much nor too less)
Also check the airflow of yov case.
(You can use watercooling but their is no need of it)
Good quality 550w psu is at margine (enough for now but can cause little problem in future due to ageing) , consider to add 50w to the psu

agree, those are hot. What fans do you have in your case, my first guess would be that you don't have a lot of air movement. the first two posters are talking utter rubbish.
The load temp is about the max you'd want a cpu to be.

the idea of 'apply a little thermal paste and you'll be fine' is positively dangerous, you should already have thermal paste (it came on the stock heatsink) better paste might gain you 2-3 deg C. this is not your problem.

I also have a Q9550 on cheap air and it maxes at 55-60 and idles at 35-40.

Sig makes one interesting point, the new card will making the case warmer unless it vents to the outside of the case, most 2 fan solutions dont do that, so you CPU cooler is now working with hotter air.

Can you take that Gamma psu back (if it is new) as it is probably not a very good PSU, and the PSU is the foundation to everything, and can cause some very odd faults, but not overheating cpus.

Can you make 100% sure that the push pins are pushed all the way through on the cpu cooler, theer should be no movement at all on any of them.

andy_in_kenya

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Hi!

@truegenius: Sorry mate, but you're wrong. You're talking about tcase which is 72 degrees celsius by Intel spec. But termnator stated the CORE temps. For these the max temp (tjmax) is 100 (!) degrees. Well, what to say - this means he's 30 degrees away from the edge.

Nevertheless I agree that 50 something idle is quite high, but probably not if we're talking about the boxed stock cooler...

Next thing: I've never seen a picture of his current MSI card, but I'd thing if it has two fans it's probably a twin frozr design. Now - these things DO blow a fair amount of their heat INTO the casing, not only out of the back through the bracket. This will definitely cause a higher temperature inside the casing already, so the cpu cooler will have to do even more work to get its job done. Basically I agree with Sig and 13th.

Best
Andy

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
Wow, how he's getting to those temps? Even my laptop can only get to 59 C at full power for 30 mins, My desktop only does it at around 33 C...

Your case may be under-ventilated, clearing some cables to the sides may reallly help for making the air circulate better...

Also, did you apply thermal paste? Or did you just put the heatsink right after installing the CPU?

andy_in_kenya

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011

Had a look at your pics. Well, it's as I thought - stock cooler. Not fantastic, but should do the job *if* the case ventilation is ok...
Move the main power cable for the motherboard away from the CPU cooler.
Basically I'd say 13th's idea is quite right.
Use 120mm fans, but make sure you have enough input from the bottom/front otherwise the rear case fan and the PSU fan might 'choke' each other trying to draw air against the other fan's actual direction. By that you'd have even worse ventilation than now...
What about a 120mm or 140mm fan for intake at the front?
Is your left side panel closed or does it have air vents?