Sign in with
Your question

First Time Home Build

Last response: in Systems
September 12, 2011 12:54:09 AM

I've been a big PC gamer fan for years now but I've never had to luxuary to game on anything other than a stock laptop intended for general workstation uses. Now that I'm out of college and working (took awhile to find a job in this economy but I'm one of the lucky ones for the moment) I want to spend some money and build a great first home built rig. I've thought long and hard and I've come to the following specs. Take note, I wanted to set myself up for adding on in the future so that I may easily install dual or triple GPUs. At any rate, here is my build. I would appreciate any tips or advice and if anyone can point out any crucial flaws that would be great as well. Thank you!

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 Mid Tower

Processor: Intel Core i7 960 Processor

Motherboard: Asus Sabetooth x58 (SLI/CrossFire, USB 3.0 and SATA 6g)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB (4x4GB) 240 PIN DDR3

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5 GB GDDR5 w/PhysX

Power: 1200 Watt Silverstone ST-1200G 80+ Gold Cert Modular Power Supply

Hard Drive: 750 GB Internal HD 600 MBps - 7200rpm

Optical Drive 8x Lite-On Blu-Ray reader & DVD Lightscribe Combo Drive

Headset: Logitech G35

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow

Mouse: Logitech G500

Monitor: Asus 27" Widescreen Flat-Panel LCD HD Monitor

Total Est Price: $2,600

More about : time home build

a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2011 2:06:51 AM

I love my full tower. It accommodates any size cooler and any length card with ease, and I can rest my elbow on it. And you can slap hard drive after hard drive in there at your whim.

I'd say your CPU is more than you need. An i5-2500K is optimum for gaming, they say. But if you can afford it easily, you might want to stick with the warm feeling you get inside from massive overkill.

I don't think you need all that memory, either, but memory is cheapish. You could get away with half and not notice a difference, I'll bet.

The 580 is good, but you want at least two of them if you want maximum game. But you know that.

I like your thinking on the PSU.

I think the time has come for the OS to be on SSD in a maxed-out system; I think 160G is ideal, but 120 might do. At the very least it cuts shut-down time to nearly zilch and boot time in half. It's very pleasant. Don't get the Intel 2.5" 160G---it has a serious firmware bug that they can't seem to pin down. Read the reviews in Tom's here. That hard drive is kinda slow, anyhow. You want 10,000 rpm, like a Velociraptor, and get a big one for storage.

If you're throwing money around, throw some at decent headphones. Forget Logitech and any other computer crap and visit your local audiophile store. You will need to spend a few hundred dollars.

That's all just my opinion, of course. Shop around for prices.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2011 2:35:54 AM

Double check the CPU. I think an i5-2500 or i7-2600 will outgame an i7-960 as well as being a current gen processor instead of n-1. That'll give you MBs that have new features and access to future stuff like intel SSD caching on z67 MBs. I use X58 MB, but it's a dead end. See http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-gaming-performa...

You could do better with high performance disk, say WD Black 1.5TB (the 1.5 is faster than the 1TB). Or look at WD RE4's and go raid.

Win = win7 64 bit.

Memory is funny == i use 8GB and the only value i get from it is that win7 pre-loads world of tanks. WOT is slow to start when i first boot, but even if I just surf for a few mins before starting WOT, win7 has preloaded it for me into memory. neat.

Monitor is ASUS VK278Q 27" ??? 1920 x 1080 at 27". I use 1920x1200 at 24". You'll do better with a 2560x1600 monitor, 27" is too big for 1920 X 1080 unless your eyes are going bad.

GTX580 is great. You have other options. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-performance-...

Enjoy build.
m
l
!