Sign in with
Your question

Processor Issues

Last response: in CPUs
December 12, 2011 12:37:59 PM

Hello everyone

Simple question really, if my processor isn't seated properly, or has too much pressure added onto it from the heatsink, can it cause my machine to not boot properly?

Thanks

Andy

More about : processor issues

a b à CPUs
December 12, 2011 12:48:03 PM

If it's not seated properly, the PC won't boot. I don't see how a heatsink could exert too much pressure on it, unless you've over-tightened the screws holding it in place. Not sure in that case, but I don't think you can damage a CPU in that way.
December 12, 2011 12:51:18 PM

Hmm okay, thanks for your help. I'm having trouble booting in any way, and the only thing I can think of which may be the problem is the processor.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2011 1:29:49 PM

The processor is probably the last thing you would look at if the computer won't boot.

Does the computer com on at all?

Have you tried booting to your Windows disk?
December 12, 2011 1:37:16 PM

Yeahh it turns on, but gets to the "Starting Windows" page on Windows 7 and reboots. I cannot boot from the installation disk because my machine just reboots itself after the installation files have downloaded
a c 80 à CPUs
December 12, 2011 2:09:25 PM

HDD failure anyone? when booting from the installation disk is the bios set to boot from DVD/CDrom? what HDD are you using and what mode in bios is it in, i.e. ide or achi or raid, have you installed the drivers, or is it failing before that point.
December 12, 2011 2:21:51 PM

Yes it is set to boot from DVD, but once loaded the machine just reboots.
I'm using a Western Digital Hard disk, but I am not sure one the make of it.
BIOS is in IDE
And yes the drivers are installed

The machine was working fine. I left it downloading a game from Steam, came back after a few hours later and it said the machine had to reboot. Now it won't boot from hard disk, as it keeps rebooting. It does the same with booting from a DVD, and I also can't boot from Safe Mode, as it attempts to load the core basic drivers, and then reboots.

Thanks for your help

Andy
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2011 2:22:10 PM

Yeah do you have bios set to boot from DVD?

You could also try booting to a memtest86 disk.

Lot's of things could cause re-booting. Cpu overheating, bad memory, etc.
December 12, 2011 2:27:57 PM

Yes I do, but I have the 2nd boot device to hard disk, so it boots from a DVD if one is in the drive, but boots from hard drive if not.

Also, will POST always show me if a component in my machine is faulty?

Thanks

Andy
a c 80 à CPUs
December 12, 2011 2:31:49 PM

no, post will not pickup memory or HDD issues, or some cpu issues.
December 12, 2011 2:32:03 PM

POST doesn't catch all hardware issues.
a c 80 à CPUs
December 12, 2011 2:32:20 PM

can you create a boot disk, like ubcd4win or similar and test the HDD?
December 12, 2011 2:33:05 PM

Okay, well I'll try reseating some things etc to see if it works then. I guess something may not be plugged in properly so i'll give it a try. Thanks
December 12, 2011 2:44:19 PM

I'm sure I can on my Laptop, How do I create one?
a c 80 à CPUs
December 12, 2011 3:18:11 PM

check your hdd manufacturer site for tools, they may have a bootable disk, available to download. else google bartpe, or ubcd4win, they have instructions, and it would be better to follow thiers.
December 12, 2011 5:33:51 PM

Just thought I'd let you know that I've fixed the problem. It was a faulty Memory Module. Thanks for all of your help though!
a c 80 à CPUs
December 12, 2011 5:36:51 PM

i'm surprised, but thanks for coming back to us, it realy is appreciated, helps us learn more about the relationship between symptoms and causes.
a b à CPUs
December 12, 2011 6:38:40 PM

That was my second guess after cpu overheating.
!