PCI-e 2.0 vs PCI-e x4 slot

rivolinho

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Ive bought a PCI-e SATA3 adapter so that I can utilize the full (or as much as possible) bandwidth of my new SSD which is currently running on SATA2 to my motherboard.

My mobo (Asus P6T Delux v2) has a PCI-Express x4 slot available. Is it possible to use this slot for the adapter Ive bought, or does it have to be connected to a PCI-e 2.0 16x slot?

Thanks

PCIe is wonderfully backwards compatible, your PCIe2 card will work just fine in a PCIe1 slot (as long as it is a slot as big or bigger than the card you purchased). It will just run at a slower speed, which is 256MB/s per lane instead of the PCIe2 standard of 512MB/s per lane. In the case of a PCIe1 4x slot it would be 1GB/s which should be faster than a single SSD, but may be a slight bottleneck if you are doing a RAID0 on 2 fast SSDs.

rivolinho

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010

Ok cheers, Looks like I'll use one of the free PCI-e 2 ports then just to make sure theres enough bandwidth. I did read somewhere that PCI-e x4 is capable of around 1000mb/s and that should be enough to the cover the 600mb/s that SATA 3 is capable of, is that correct?

This is the adapter I have

rivolinho

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Yeah, Ive got it in the PCI-e 16x slot and the drive is now giving me read speeds of just over 350 mb/s
The write speed is pretty poor in comparison but that seems to be a failing of the 128gb C300. The larger drives have higher writes.