superthug44

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
I'm planning on buying a 6870 now and it requires two 6 pin connectors. However I only have one connected to my OCZ 500W ModXStream PSU right now; there's another open output for an 8 pin PCI-E cable. But the way it's set up is that the PSU has an 8 pin output and it came with a cable to connect to the 6 pin on the video card. This one specifically:

http://oi56.tinypic.com/2cqnx8z.jpg

I'm looking online for cables like this but I can't find any. I just see adapters like this:

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Express-Power-Adapter-PCIEX68ADAP/dp/B001TK3TJY

Is that really all I need or do I need something else? Because when I compare the individual pins on that adapter to my cable, they don't seem to match.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
NO, it won't match, the red 8 pin to 6 pin cable is a modular power supply cable, the 8 pin end will not match an 8 pin PCI-E cable. You need to use the red ended cable that came with your PSU on one of the 6 pin connectors on the video card, and you should have another 6+2 pin PCI-E connector where the last 2 pin can be slid off to make it into another 6 pin connector.

superthug44

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
So can you provide me a link to a cable that will do that? I'm still confused as to how this works. I have only one 8 pin to 6 pin cable. I don't know if my PSU came with anymore, I can't find them. Thanks for the reply though!

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I can't find any for sale by themselves, you might try contacting OCZ if you have lost the ones that came with your power supply. The cable you are looking for will not be a 8 pin to 6 pin cable, it will be either an 8 pin to 8 pin where 2 of the pins can be unclipped from the other 6, or it may be on the hardwired portion. I can't tell from the photos on any of the sites I looked on.

superthug44

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
I have no idea where my cables are or if they even came with the PSU. I only have one 8 pin to 6 pin cable and then some other cables for my mobo and HDD and Blu Ray player. No 6+2 pin cable to be found. I noticed on the PSU there are 3 open 6 pin slots. Is there such a thing a 6 pin to 6 pin cable?

superthug44

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
It isn't. All I see is my 8 pin cable to my mobo, and it comes directly from within the PSU. I don't know if OCZ just didn't give me my cables because I don't remember having too many when I opened the PSU box. Also, I haven't ordered the 6870 yet, but this has got me really frustrated looking for cables.

So you think that 6 pin to 6 pin should work? On the PSU there is a diagram that has 2 of the pins as GND and then one nonexistent pin. Like:

5 and 6 say GND and then 4 has no pin. Would these cables still work?

That's all you need
Edit
[strike]Geez, here I thought there was one on the psu, sorry
You could use a 6 pin extension[/strike]

Wow 420 ;) and I shouldn't even be here

Here's a PCI-e cable that should work, without having to change the pinout.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=34_186&products_id=21236

superthug44

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
HAHAHAHA WOW. After I posted that link I decided to look at the pictures of the PSU. I saw the picture of a bag that the PSU comes with and completely forgot I had that thing. Then I realized that all of my cables are in there. Sure enough I dug through my closet where all of my boxes were and found that damn bag. Got a nice 8 pin to 6 pin cable in there. Hahaha thanks guys.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Thats not how electricity works, the 150w is a max rating for the circuit, it doesn't force 150w through it all the time. The 8 pin connector is what's on his power supply I don't think you can stick a 6 pin cable in one of those slots.

+1 thats what i did for my GPU was use the 6+2 and zip tied the 2 back and only plugged in the 6 - works like a charm