Sign in with
Your question

World of Warcraft

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 11, 2011 7:56:29 PM

Hello,I recently bought world of warcraft cataclysm. However, due to my graphics card I have to have all the settings on very low. Does anyone know the best graphics card for the computer without having to change the powe input or anything, just the card? Also, it needs to be capable of "shader 3", not sure what that means. I have an ADVENT SQ9204, with 4gb RAM and a 300gb hardrive, with over 100gb left. I know absolutely nothing about computers so anything would help :) 

More about : world warcraft

July 11, 2011 8:12:42 PM

jameshanlon123 said:
Hello,I recently bought world of warcraft cataclysm. However, due to my graphics card I have to have all the settings on very low. Does anyone know the best graphics card for the computer without having to change the powe input or anything, just the card? Also, it needs to be capable of "shader 3", not sure what that means. I have an ADVENT SQ9204, with 4gb RAM and a 300gb hardrive, with over 100gb left. I know absolutely nothing about computers so anything would help :) 

Your biggest issue will be the Power Supply here. I'd suggest you open the case and try to find the label and see how many Watts the PSU is rated for. I'd say you want a Minimum for 400W for a dedicated graphics card. If it's 350W or less you may want to consider getting a new PSU first.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2011 8:33:25 PM

If you haven't already, have a read through Tom's Performance Guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-c...

Four things you should consider when buying a card:
1.) Clearance inside the case. Use a tape measure inside the case and measure where the card should go. Most cards are about 9 inches long. 5670 is shorter at about 7inches.
2.) What PSU is installed. I can't find any info on the system but I would assume it's a generic 300watt psu. In this case you can either
a.) your choices are limited and you can just buy a low power gfx or
b.) replace the PSU and then buy a more powerful gfx.
If you want us to double check, take a picture of the label on the side of the PSU showing AMPs/rail and post it online(imageshack or similar) .
3.) Budget. Give us a price range and currency.
4.) What resolution do you game at or want to game at. A 1280x1024 will run with ease on lower cards. Full 1080p with AA will require a significantly more powerful card.]

The most powerful card that does not need an external power cable would be either the 5670 or the refreshed 6670. The 5670s can be had for around $60 on newegg right now.
July 13, 2011 6:36:00 PM

Okayy i'll do that throughout the week and post a reply, but do you know anywhere i could get all this stuff in pounds haha, i live in england? :) 
July 13, 2011 6:58:01 PM

I did a bit of research on this PC and from what I can tell these things shipped with a 300w power supply. If you want to add a new graphics card you are most certainly going to have to upgrade the power supply first. I agree with the PSU geof2001 recommended from a budget perspective... It has a PCI-E power connector. As far as the card, a 5670 will serve you well for wow, anything more than that and your going to need to verify that you have at least 9" of clearance in your case.
July 13, 2011 7:17:28 PM

I really dont understand any of this haha ):
do you have any links for the new power connector and card which i can just follow and buy them? :')
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2011 7:38:53 PM

jameshanlon123 said:
I really dont understand any of this haha ):
do you have any links for the new power connector and card which i can just follow and buy them? :')

Ok basically. The first thing you will need to do is upgrade the part of your system that deals with the graphics in a game. geof2001 suggested this card: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/265344 It will not run everything on high, but it should give you smooth gameplay. Anything better than this and the cards start getting very long, so that might be an issue that it wont fit inside your computer case.

To give your system enough power to run the card on top of everything else in there, you need to also upgrade your power supply. geof2001 suggested this: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/159924 This will be enough to power the card plus the rest of your system.

After you get these, its a matter of installing them in your computer. There are many guides out there on youtube and stuff that you can watch people upgrade these things if you want a reference on how you go about doing it. Otherwise, you shouldn't have much problems getting it all working

a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2011 5:16:58 AM

A 5670 should work fine and will be a huge boost if you don't want to buy a new powersupply. If you are willing to replace the PSU there is a whole range of cards you could use.
July 24, 2011 12:16:49 AM

so if i buy the 5670 i WONt need a new power supply? :')
!