Sign in with
Your question

New - Added Delay?!?

Last response: in Networking
October 26, 2010 8:05:57 AM

Hello all!

Could I get a suggestion or two?

This PC has stated adding huge [1-2min] delays on page loads, from a period a couple of mins after startup, but randomly all day. Never used to do this, even with slower connection. Often I watch the loading animation on a page tab go round and round and round for freaking ages!

Other machines in the house don't do it. Most VOD Sites seem fine, pings seem OK [20-200ms depending on server location]

Have I scrambled my settings? Because it comes and goes, but usually only starts after a couple of mins after boot - it has to be a setting, right? Can I rebuild my network connection database or something? Just seems the PC is looking for a nonexistant connection or such.

It's a total nightmare if you want to check something in a hurry, like a train timetable just as you go out!!

I also never get above 20% network use, even sharing PC-PC. Graph is like a wall at 20%. Hmmm.

Any advice appreciated greatly, fellow techies!

Relevant info below:

Only the Wireless connection I am using is listed in Network and Sharing Center

Browsing using Chrome

Have high-spec PC - Core i7/6GB/Win7/54Mb D-link Wireless card - on a 10Mb Cable modem. Am also running Avira [up to date], all Win7 patches and I reboot daily.

Have changed wireless network settings several times, have connected and disconnected wired networking [between PCs, with a switch], have shared docs with wired and wireless network.

At one point the cable network went down, and temporarily installed a T-Mobile dongle for connectivity [on local 3G cellphone network] Have since removed, and uninstalled software.

Wireless router 3 feet away - signal good. No problems with ISP network [other machines and network status reports]

Have disabled several services/startup items [though nothing that ought to be related to internet access]

There are lots of other wireless networks visable -maybe 10 - router is set to auto channel

Thanks again.

GfS

More about : added delay

Anonymous
October 26, 2010 8:52:50 AM

You mention trying wired -- did things improve ?

Have you considered if it may be a wireless mode issue ? Change setting in router.
m
l
October 26, 2010 9:35:44 AM

Sry - wired was Pc to PC.

Wireless mode? Router is set to 54Mb.

IS this what you mean?

Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
October 26, 2010 11:42:43 AM

Try wired to router -- see if things improve.

If they do check out wireless mode in Router's Wireless Settings -- choices are for example -- 802.11n or 802.11g or Mixed Mode.

Download the full router manual from the CD which came with it or from maker's site.
m
l
October 27, 2010 9:58:54 AM

Hey fihart,

it's deffo. set to .11g. It's a Virgin custom router, with integrated modem, but I think the manufacturer is Netgear. Will tryy cable, but requires cable through 3 rooms, though it's just the other side of a plasterboard wall!

Because none of the other 3 computers havy the same problem I was thinking it would be a software thing - any ideas oon that front?

:) 

GfS
m
l
!