Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Large case suggestions?

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 12, 2011 3:46:00 AM

Okay, so I am building this new gaming rig.

It is going to consist of:
MSI Z68A-GD55 motherboard
Intel i52500k cpu
Noctua D14 cooler
Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) Vengeance DDR3 (Low profile because of the size of the cooler)
Corsair TX-750 V2 Power Supply
& 2 of these ASUS Radeon HD6950 DirectCU II 1GB crossfire

I need suggestions on PC cases, I was going to go for the Antec Twelve Hundred V3 Case because of it's size, but it's pretty expensive.

Are there any other cases that will comfortably house my system for a cheaper price?

Thanks. :D 

More about : large case suggestions

a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2011 12:38:09 PM

Well your only using a standard size ATX motherboard, not one of the huge E-ATX ones, so almost any mid-Tower ATX case will house your build. Just make sure inside the case there's enough room to fit the 6950 (most "gaming" cases make a point of displaying they can fit extra long video cards inside, but its always good to check first before buying).

HAF 912/Cooler Master Cases are always fairly popular.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2011 8:26:08 PM

The 6950, while long, isn't excessively long; I think the only extra long video cards are the 5970s, and other custom ones like the GTX4602Win (which I don't think anybody has bought).

The Antec 1200 unfortunately doesn't have as many features for the price as other full towers. What are you looking for pricewise?
Related resources
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2011 8:39:24 PM

where will you be buying from ?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2011 9:08:49 PM

Check out In Win's dragon rider, you'll definately fit the Asus beasts in there, might need the measurements for the cooler and I'll measure the side clearance for you, post back tomorrow for you cause I'm at work tonight
Moto
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2011 9:10:46 PM

You honestly cant go wrong with the Corsair Graphite 600T - I keep recommending this one because it's so damn good. It'll handle any fan, any cooling solution, any size graphics card, any motherboard (except maybe the EVGA Classified SR-2), anything you can throw at it. Drives are painless to install, and take seconds. It's wide enough to support the largest fans and heat sinks (yes, the D14 will fit), and you don't have to remove the motherboard to install new ones, and cables can be rerouted really easily.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2011 10:05:33 PM
Share

You may want to consider a HAF 922 case. It is classified as a midsize case and is priced accordingly however it has a full size interior.

Here is my HAF 922. Inside is an 11" inch ASUS HD 6870 Direct CU video card. (Yes, 11" whole inches. ASUS's website verifies this: http://usa.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/EAH6870_DC2DI2S1GD5/#specifications ) I have the power cables wrapped around the edge of it which probably adds an additional half an inch. As you can see there is plenty of vacancy between the end of the card and the hard drive cage.



However if price is no object I would say go with the Cooler Master ATCS 840 or the HAF-X. They are truly massive cases. The HAF-X is probably a little better in that it has arms built in to secure extra long video cards. However either one would do fine as would the HAF 922.

ATCS 840:
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id...

HAF-X:
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id...


I imagine the NZXT Phantom would be a good choice too for a more reasonable price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2011 10:56:16 PM

g-unit1111 said:
You honestly cant go wrong with the Corsair Graphite 600T - I keep recommending this one because it's so damn good. It'll handle any fan, any cooling solution, any size graphics card, any motherboard (except maybe the EVGA Classified SR-2), anything you can throw at it. Drives are painless to install, and take seconds. It's wide enough to support the largest fans and heat sinks (yes, the D14 will fit), and you don't have to remove the motherboard to install new ones, and cables can be rerouted really easily.


Its WAY expensive , and didnt even cool as well as its newer smaller 400 series budget little brother according to anandtech


a c 91 B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2011 11:50:03 PM

Outlander_04 said:
Its WAY expensive , and didnt even cool as well as its newer smaller 400 series budget little brother according to anandtech


Really? That's interesting. Can I get a link to the article?
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2011 12:55:15 AM

g-unit1111 said:
If we're going Cooler Master, may I suggest the Cosmos S?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...



The Cosmo S is a great case however if you are interested in that type of a case you may want to hold off. September's Maximum PC Magazine Show Cases the new Cosmos II in their 2011 Dream Machine Cover Story. It is estimated Cooler Master will make an announcement about this case in October. (The link is provided below but the majority of the information is on page two.)

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/dream_machine...

It looks awesome!
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2011 1:15:04 AM

rwayne said:
The Cosmo S is a great case however if you are interested in that type of a case you may want to hold off. September's Maximum PC Magazine Show Cases the new Cosmos II in their 2011 Dream Machine Cover Story. It is estimated Cooler Master will make an announcement about this case in October. (The link is provided below but the majority of the information is on page two.)

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/dream_machine...

It looks awesome!


Yeah I saw that article - that case looks amazing. When I get ready to do a new build (probably this time next year) I'm heavily considering it.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2011 1:37:02 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Really? That's interesting. Can I get a link to the article?


Here is the AnandTech Article on the Corsair 400R cooling better than the Corsair 650D:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4690/corsair-carbide-400r...

The Thermal Benchmarks you are looking for are on pages 5 & 6
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2011 4:22:15 AM

I love my RV02 - it's got a great design and works well with reference-style GPU coolers (external exhaust). I would've gotten the FT02 if I could have afforded it... :( 
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2011 7:21:07 AM

The 600T generally doesn't have any side fans, the only intake it has is the front fan which is why heat builds up. We're literally only talking like up to 5 degree's though, so its no reason NOT to buy it. Reviews have a habit of making things out to sound worse than they actually are. When you actually look at the figures, the differences are minor.

Personally I dislike the backwards-motherboard design of the SilverStone Raven, but again if your very temperature-concious its a good choice.
September 13, 2011 10:34:54 AM

boiler1990 said:
The 6950, while long, isn't excessively long; I think the only extra long video cards are the 5970s, and other custom ones like the GTX4602Win (which I don't think anybody has bought).

The Antec 1200 unfortunately doesn't have as many features for the price as other full towers. What are you looking for pricewise?


Anything that can house my system, preferably cheaper than the Antec 1200 :p 
September 13, 2011 10:40:28 AM

rwayne said:
You may want to consider a HAF 922 case. It is classified as a midsize case and is priced accordingly however it has a full size interior.

Here is my HAF 922. Inside is an 11" inch ASUS HD 6870 Direct CU video card. (Yes, 11" whole inches. ASUS's website verifies this: http://usa.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Series/EAH6870_DC2DI2S1GD5/#specifications ) I have the power cables wrapped around the edge of it which probably adds an additional half an inch. As you can see there is plenty of vacancy between the end of the card and the hard drive cage.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f44/Rwayne/DSC02044.jpg

However if price is no object I would say go with the Cooler Master ATCS 840 or the HAF-X. They are truly massive cases. The HAF-X is probably a little better in that it has arms built in to secure extra long video cards. However either one would do fine as would the HAF 922.

ATCS 840:
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id...

HAF-X:
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id...


I imagine the NZXT Phantom would be a good choice too for a more reasonable price.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I am leaning towards the HAF-X, the HD 6950 is apparently 11.7 inches :lol: 

You think it will still fit?

Also, how large is the space for the PSU, I don't want it to clash with the D14 cooler.


September 14, 2011 12:38:46 AM

Going with the HAF-X.
Thanks all.
September 14, 2011 12:39:16 AM

Best answer selected by -Sylvan.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 15, 2011 12:49:35 AM

-Sylvan said:
I am leaning towards the HAF-X, the HD 6950 is apparently 11.7 inches :lol: 

You think it will still fit?

Also, how large is the space for the PSU, I don't want it to clash with the D14 cooler.


I think you will like the HAF-X. I helped a friend who used one for a build back in October 2010. The case is amazingly quiet. Especially with the components we picked.

You may want to check out this video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWf47-UVXUE

Per the video there is 13.46" inches of clearance between the back of the case and the hard drive cage.


!