New card or GPU cooler?

arras

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Howdy folks. I have a whirring noise coming from my GPU when I am playing EVE Online, Civ V, and Global Agenda. In the near future, I will be playing Guildwars 2 and SW:TOR.

In any case, I need some advice.

Do I:

1) Find an after market cooler to replace the stock cooler on my current GPU? If so, what do you recommend.

2) Buy a new graphics card? If so, do you have any recommendations? I would like the best gaming card for the least amount of money and it would have to be QUIET! Okay, so it's a fantasy card, right :)

I am currently running the following:

Antec 900 case with 4 120mm
Antec 500W Earthwatts PSU
AMD Athlon II X3 440 Rana
COOLER MASTER Hyper TX3 92mm CPU Cooler
Asus M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard
ASUS Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel
SAMSUNG 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Any advice or recommendations are most welcome.

Cheers!

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
did you try cleaning the fan and heatsink?
if no then do that and see if the noice is dropping else try oiling the fan .. you want more details related to oiling?

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
try oiling the fan remove the fan and you can see a sticker behind open it and you will see the bearings of the fan just put 1 DROP of oil into it and close it just rotate it with hand for some time just to set the oil inside and fix everything back..
this should make the fan smooth :)

mjsharma

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
if he can correct the problem then why go for a new card and waste money?
also how come HD 5770 became very old tech?
dont know about the op's resolution but this card is good for resolutions upto 1600x1200 i think

redeemer

Distinguished
May 30, 2004
He mentioned buying a new card as an option. There are other ways I am sure he can save money, getting a new card is a sound investment at this time considering all the amazing game coming out this year and early next year. How long will his Crossfire 5770 last him? With BF3 skyrim, Bioshock Infinite around the corner a new generation of card is not a waste of money but a good investment as he can still have the option of SLI or X-fire

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Heck, I'm still running a single 5770 with all of my games at 1080p, and it does just fine. There's no point in getting another GPU until the time comes when your current one stops running what you want it to run. Putting it away in a box somewhere would be a complete waste of money when it still works absolutely fine.

Like mjsharma said, I'd try oiling the bearings on your fan first. It might just be dried out under there, making it a whole lot louder than it should be.

mj, nice avatar by the way, assuming you know it's from TW2. Great game, that is. :)