Interesting sales tidbits

Last response: in Video Games
June 10, 2005 6:23:49 PM

Nintendo released some interesting numbers on their top franchises last
week, in celebration of Pokemon passing 100 million units on their handheld
systems. A lot of sites ran the story, including Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/gba/rpg/pokemonred/news_6126710...

Here's the gist:

Mario franchise: 181.17 million units
Pokemon franchise: 100.86 million units
Donkey Kong franchise: 46.51 million units
Zelda franchise: 46.33 million units

The funny thing is that these articles talk about the breakdown of handheld
games vs. home console games in each franchise, and the numbers are
backwards! For example, they list Zelda's 46.33 million as 15 million on
home consoles and 31 million on handhelds. But that's wrong, it's the home
versions that total 31 million:

The Legend of Zelda 6.51 NES
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link 4.38 NES
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past 4.61 SNES
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 7.6 N64
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3.36 N64
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker 3.9 GC
The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures 0.82 GC

Same for Mario, they list 120 million of the total as being for handhelds,
with only 59 million for home consoles. But just the "main" Mario games on
home systems total over 100 million:

Super Mario Bros. NES 40.24
Super Mario Bros. 2 NES 7.46
Super Mario Bros. 3 NES 17.28
Super Mario World SNES 20.6
Super Mario 64 N64 11.62
Super Mario Sunshine GCN 3.8

I'm surprised the "major" game sites couldn't be bothered to double-check
their numbers. Nintendo of Europe's site ran the story without the
home/handheld numbers included.

I was also surprised to see DK edge out Zelda like that--the bastard!
That's due to Donkey Kong Country, no doubt. Well, Twilight Princess will
take care of that .18 million difference during its first day of sales, I'll
bet. Take that, Donkey Kong!

:-)

--
Leon Dexter
www.gameswelike.com

I love Nintendo so much.
June 12, 2005 4:36:31 AM

"Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Nintendo released some interesting numbers on their top franchises last
> week, in celebration of Pokemon passing 100 million units on their
> handheld
> systems. A lot of sites ran the story, including Gamespot:
>
> http://www.gamespot.com/gba/rpg/pokemonred/news_6126710...

[snip]

Every time someone posts a sales topic, Bill Gates eats a puppy.

Please, think of the puppies.
June 12, 2005 6:25:32 AM

"Seth" <d@d.d> wrote in message

> Every time someone posts a sales topic, Bill Gates eats a puppy.
>
> Please, think of the puppies.

So that's where the 5 billion in lost revenue went. Edible puppies
(certified disease-free, etc) aren't cheap!

Besides, I didn't post a "system war" sales post, and I didn't cross-post.
I doubt Bill reads the Cube group.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:58:20 AM

G wrote: