AMD X4 Phenom 955 stock fan speed problem

j_brujah

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
Hi guys, here is my issue. I have an X4 Phenom 955, stock speed and all. The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P. Because I had pretty high temperatures, over 60 degrees at full load, at almost 6000 rpms CPU fan(I hope I remember corectly :) ) I decided to mount a 120 mm side fan, blowing air in. So after I did that, all got better, full load temps of about 53 degrees and most importantly the noise went waaaayy down, with the cpu fan beeing at around 3000, 3500. But now I hit another problem. Recently I've beein doing some Maya work and the CPU went up until it hit 68 degrees with the CPU fan not exeeding 3800 rpms. So my question is why doesn't the cpu fan go to the almost 6000 rpms it went before I fitted the side fan ? As a test, I removed the side cover to redirect the air flow from the side fan, as not to blow directly in the CPU fan (as it does when the side cover is fitted on) and I noticed a real time increase in the CPU fan speed (went to over 4000 in idle). So does this mean it's a phisycal problem like the air flow form the side fan preventing the CPU fan from going full speed ?

ru_1980

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010

Check where your CPU fan is plugged in. You may have it plugged to a "system fan" header and is reacting to motherboard temps instead of actual CPU temps. Also check BIOS settings for any fan speed/temp settings. If your using a software program for setting CPU fan speeds check there also. I personally perfer to let BIOS deal with CPU fan as software is more affected by system loads and such that it may be "lagging" due to system usage. ( I may be wrong in that statement though).