Need help compiling a list of times I was right when every..

Last response: in Video Games
June 10, 2005 3:51:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

I'm missing some, MSGojo, so help me out if you see something, k?

1 PSP games costing more than DS games
2 The limited interest in the PSP, hence sluggish sales
3 GWB winning the election
4 Mattinglyfan is a bitch
5 The DS being gobbled up like wine coolers at Neverland Ranch
6 ...?

Things I was wrong about.

1 ...?

More about : compiling list times

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 3:51:03 PM

Fred Liken wrote:

> Things I was wrong about.
>
> 1. Deciding not to kill myself this morning
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 4:28:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> I'm missing some, MSGojo, so help me out if you see something, k?
>
> 1 PSP games costing more than DS games
> 2 The limited interest in the PSP, hence sluggish sales
> 3 GWB winning the election
> 4 Mattinglyfan is a bitch
> 5 The DS being gobbled up like wine coolers at Neverland Ranch
> 6 ...?
>
> Things I was wrong about.

1)Fred doesn't fanny about!
June 10, 2005 8:07:02 PM

"TNKEV" <kthune@alexanderjeepfrankling.com> wrote in message
news:D 8cisf$bl7$1@domitilla.aioe.org...

> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
>> I'm missing some, MSGojo, so help me out if you see something, k?
>>
>> 1 PSP games costing more than DS games
>> 2 The limited interest in the PSP, hence sluggish sales
>> 3 GWB winning the election
>> 4 Mattinglyfan is a bitch
>> 5 The DS being gobbled up like wine coolers at Neverland Ranch
>> 6 ...?
>>
>> Things I was wrong about.
>
> 1)Fred doesn't fanny about!

Come on, now you're just fannying about, and I haven't time for fannying
about, so if you want to fanny about, find someone else to fanny about with
and go about your fannying and waste someone else's time with your fannying
about, for I haven't the time to fanny about! I'm a very busy man with many
important things to do, and fannying about isn't high on the list.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:18:38 PM

> "TNKEV" <kthune@alexanderjeepfrankling.com> wrote in message
> news:D 8cisf$bl7$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> >
> > "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> >> I'm missing some, MSGojo, so help me out if you see something, k?
> >>
> >> 1 PSP games costing more than DS games
> >> 2 The limited interest in the PSP, hence sluggish sales
> >> 3 GWB winning the election
> >> 4 Mattinglyfan is a bitch
> >> 5 The DS being gobbled up like wine coolers at Neverland Ranch
> >> 6 ...?
> >>
> >> Things I was wrong about.
> >
> > 1)Fred doesn't fanny about!
>
> Come on, now you're just fannying about, and I haven't time for fannying
> about, so if you want to fanny about, find someone else to fanny about
with
> and go about your fannying and waste someone else's time with your
fannying
> about, for I haven't the time to fanny about! I'm a very busy man with
many
> important things to do, and fannying about isn't high on the list.

LOL you must have that ready to paste so you don't have to fanny about
writing it.
I am laughing my ass off dude! seriously,I have a grate time reading your
posts!
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 9:43:02 PM

"joemono" <joe@REMOVE-monterosso.net> wrote in message
news:D 8cikk$mo6$2@news.msu.edu...
> Fred Liken wrote:
>
>> Things I was wrong about.
>>
>> 1. Deciding not to kill myself this morning

I'm far too important to kill myself.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 10:51:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> I'm missing some, MSGojo, so help me out if you see something, k?
>
> 1 PSP games costing more than DS games
> 2 The limited interest in the PSP, hence sluggish sales
> 3 GWB winning the election
> 4 Mattinglyfan is a bitch
> 5 The DS being gobbled up like wine coolers at Neverland Ranch
> 6 ...?
>
> Things I was wrong about.
>
> 1 ...?

1) Claiming you purchased an import PSP from Japan and it didn't work
2) Ever being laid in your lifetime
3) Sending LL Cool Names that picture of yourself in the wife beater
4) Claiming Dora the Explorer was "Hot as bull's nuts"
5) Telling your mom you were just brushing your teeth
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 3:50:02 AM

"Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in message

> 1) Claiming you purchased an import PSP from Japan and it didn't work

Yep, that's something everyone said was wrong that I was right about.

> 2) Ever being laid in your lifetime

Ditto. At least you're catching up.

> 3) Sending LL Cool Names that picture of yourself in the wife beater

? Did I miss a Photoshop? Damn!

> 4) Claiming Dora the Explorer was "Hot as bull's nuts"

Who's Dora the Explorer?

> 5) Telling your mom you were just brushing your teeth

Yep, you can throw stones since you've never taken your wee pee for a spin
alone...
Doesn't it work?
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 6:34:08 AM

In article <42a9c49b$0$2493$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...

>I'm missing some, MSGojo, so help me out if you see something, k?
>
>1 PSP games costing more than DS games
>2 The limited interest in the PSP, hence sluggish sales
>3 GWB winning the election
>4 Mattinglyfan is a bitch
>5 The DS being gobbled up like wine coolers at Neverland Ranch
>6 ...?
>
>Things I was wrong about.
>
>1 ...?

1. Never said you were wrong on this one.
2. Wrong. PSP selling well.
3. Wrong in spirit. He might of won but in the end we all lose because of it.
4. Wrong. Look in the mirror for your picture of a bitch.
5. Wrong. The PSP is whats being gobbled up. Even in Japan where the DS has
been coming out with all kinds of special deals and special colors to boost
sales its still only neck and neck with the PSP that has no special colors or
special come on deals.
6. Just about everything you open your mouth about.

Well 1 out of 6 is just about the right ratio for you being right and wrong.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 7:50:15 AM

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message

> 5. Wrong. The PSP is whats being gobbled up. Even in Japan where the DS
has
> been coming out with all kinds of special deals and special colors to
boost
> sales its still only neck and neck with the PSP that has no special colors
or
> special come on deals.

I don't really want to get involved in this weird thread, but boy, are you
wrong about the DS and PSP. The DS is over a million units ahead of the PSP
over there. The DS has sold 2.4 million units, the PSP has sold 1.37
million. Over the last month of tracking (through May), the DS has sold
164,000 units, while the PSP has sold 106,000. That's not "neck-and-neck".
The month before was even worse--212,000 vs. 130,000. The DS has caught the
PSP after it's strong start this year and passed its year-to-date numbers,
and continues to pull away.
Here in the US, the DS is about 700,000 units ahead, despite Sony's
high-profile launch.
If Sony wants to stop the nearly 2-to-1 sales (not counting GBA sales), they
need a price drop soon.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:47:32 AM

In article <Xbtqe.2351$hK3.227@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net says...

>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>
>> 5. Wrong. The PSP is whats being gobbled up. Even in Japan where the DS
>has
>> been coming out with all kinds of special deals and special colors to
>boost
>> sales its still only neck and neck with the PSP that has no special colors
>or
>> special come on deals.
>

>I don't really want to get involved in this weird thread, but boy, are you
>wrong about the DS and PSP. The DS is over a million units ahead of the PSP
>over there. The DS has sold 2.4 million units, the PSP has sold 1.37
>million. Over the last month of tracking (through May), the DS has sold
>164,000 units, while the PSP has sold 106,000. That's not "neck-and-neck".
>The month before was even worse--212,000 vs. 130,000. The DS has caught the
>PSP after it's strong start this year and passed its year-to-date numbers,
>and continues to pull away.
>Here in the US, the DS is about 700,000 units ahead, despite Sony's
>high-profile launch.
>If Sony wants to stop the nearly 2-to-1 sales (not counting GBA sales), they
>need a price drop soon.

Don't let the facts get in your way. The PSP was outselling the DS until
Nintendo started with their colored units and pack in deals. Even with these
deals the PSP is keeping up and will soon start to outsell it again. Please
note that the PSP has sold 892,000 units this year and the DS has sold 904,000
units. That is neck and neck my friend. Here is a link to support what I say.
Something else I find interesting is an article in Famitsu that talks about
how the PSP has caused Nintendo to stray from its "make money on hardware"
strategy with the pack in deals connected to the DS.

http://www.the-magicbox.com/topten.htm

Now try Amazon.com and see that the PSP is #7 in videogame sales and the
Nintendo DS is #78 in videogame sales(pretty pathetic considering how much
cheaper the DS is). Oops looks to me like the PSP is whooping ass. Now run up
to Gamestop and ask the guy behind the counter which handheld is selling
better. Don't forget to listen when he gives you a reply.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:47:33 AM

> Don't let the facts get in your way. The PSP was outselling the DS until
> Nintendo started with their colored units and pack in deals. Even with
> these
> deals the PSP is keeping up and will soon start to outsell it again.
> Please
> note that the PSP has sold 892,000 units this year and the DS has sold
> 904,000
> units.

Don't let the facts get in your way. The DS was out last year, so you'll
need to add those in, Mr Dishonesty. Plus, you need to look at world sales,
not just Japan.

Looks like you're pretty hard up to save face, if you're doing this much
selection in your scope. lol.

Pathetic.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 2:39:20 PM

--

"Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>
>> 5. Wrong. The PSP is whats being gobbled up. Even in Japan where the DS
> has
>> been coming out with all kinds of special deals and special colors to
> boost
>> sales its still only neck and neck with the PSP that has no special
>> colors
> or
>> special come on deals.
>

> I don't really want to get involved in this weird thread, but boy, are you
> wrong about the DS and PSP. The DS is over a million units ahead of the
> PSP
> over there. The DS has sold 2.4 million units, the PSP has sold 1.37
> million. Over the last month of tracking (through May), the DS has sold
> 164,000 units, while the PSP has sold 106,000. That's not
> "neck-and-neck".
> The month before was even worse--212,000 vs. 130,000. The DS has caught
> the
> PSP after it's strong start this year and passed its year-to-date numbers,
> and continues to pull away.
> Here in the US, the DS is about 700,000 units ahead, despite Sony's
> high-profile launch.

Just curious but what exactly was this "high profile launch?" Cause they
really did little to promote it before or during the release...

> If Sony wants to stop the nearly 2-to-1 sales (not counting GBA sales),
> they
> need a price drop soon.

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 4:04:50 PM

MS#1Fanboy-JoJo wrote:
> It supports so many things(downloaded porn movies being my favorite)

Can you name a time when you need a portable system to watch porn on?

joemono
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 7:18:23 PM

In article <42aa7041$0$37104$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...

>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>
>> Don't let the facts get in your way. The PSP was outselling the DS until
>> Nintendo started with their colored units and pack in deals. Even with
>> these
>> deals the PSP is keeping up and will soon start to outsell it again.
>> Please
>> note that the PSP has sold 892,000 units this year and the DS has sold
>> 904,000
>> units.
>
>Don't let the facts get in your way. The DS was out last year, so you'll
>need to add those in, Mr Dishonesty. Plus, you need to look at world sales,
>not just Japan.
>
>Looks like you're pretty hard up to save face, if you're doing this much
>selection in your scope. lol.
>
>Pathetic.

What part of "this year" do you not understand Mr. Dipshit. Why should we add
in last years sales in to THIS YEAR SALES NUMBERS. Get back to me on that one.

Mr. Dexter wrote:
"Over the last month of tracking (through May), the DS has sold
164,000 units, while the PSP has sold 106,000. That's not "neck-and-neck".
The month before was even worse--212,000 vs. 130,000."

Total sales for the year place the DS at 904,000 units and the PSP at 892,000
units which means they are neck and neck. Sorry if the truth hurts you. We all
know what the future holds for the PSP so just go ahead and kiss up to me right
now so it doesn't hurt so much later.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 7:18:24 PM

> What part of "this year" do you not understand Mr. Dipshit. Why should we
> add
> in last years sales in to THIS YEAR SALES NUMBERS. Get back to me on that
> one.

Um, because that's the only way to judge which has sold more. It's simple,
my retarded friend. Market penetration doesn't look at how many were sold
in one little slice of time, but rather the whole time. It doesn't matter
how many were sold this year if the user base is larger for the DS. Also,
looking just at this year is rediculous, because the PSP has it's launch
this year and therefore would have an artificial boost in sales if you cut
out the DS launch.

Like I said, don't let the facts get in your way. :)

> Total sales for the year place the DS at 904,000 units and the PSP at
> 892,000
> units which means they are neck and neck.

Yep, the PSP had it's launch this year, and it still is behind the DS.
Looks like you were pretty wrong about the whole mess, Pookims.

> Sorry if the truth hurts you.

lol.

> We all
> know what the future holds for the PSP so just go ahead and kiss up to me
> right
> now so it doesn't hurt so much later.

Why would I? I've been right every time and you've been a fool. :)
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:10:49 PM

In article <vICqe.29196$iU.15040@lakeread05>,
massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net says...

>--
>

>"Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> 5. Wrong. The PSP is whats being gobbled up. Even in Japan where the DS
>> has
>>> been coming out with all kinds of special deals and special colors to
>> boost
>>> sales its still only neck and neck with the PSP that has no special
>>> colors
>> or
>>> special come on deals.
>>

>> I don't really want to get involved in this weird thread, but boy, are you
>> wrong about the DS and PSP. The DS is over a million units ahead of the
>> PSP
>> over there. The DS has sold 2.4 million units, the PSP has sold 1.37
>> million. Over the last month of tracking (through May), the DS has sold
>> 164,000 units, while the PSP has sold 106,000. That's not
>> "neck-and-neck".
>> The month before was even worse--212,000 vs. 130,000. The DS has caught
>> the
>> PSP after it's strong start this year and passed its year-to-date numbers,
>> and continues to pull away.
>> Here in the US, the DS is about 700,000 units ahead, despite Sony's
>> high-profile launch.
>
>Just curious but what exactly was this "high profile launch?" Cause they
>really did little to promote it before or during the release...

LOL!! I can tell you one place where it had a high profile launch....Freds
house where I'm sure Freds family was crawling the walls having to deal with
poor little Freddy being in such a tizzy.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 8:10:50 PM

news:D 2Eqe.85457$Wr.49759@fed1read04...

>>Just curious but what exactly was this "high profile launch?" Cause they
>>really did little to promote it before or during the release...
>
> LOL!! I can tell you one place where it had a high profile launch....Freds
> house where I'm sure Freds family was crawling the walls having to deal
> with
> poor little Freddy being in such a tizzy.

LMFAO!
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 10:51:41 PM

In article <42ab24d3$0$2519$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...

>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>
>> What part of "this year" do you not understand Mr. Dipshit. Why should we
>> add
>> in last years sales in to THIS YEAR SALES NUMBERS. Get back to me on that
>> one.
>
>Um, because that's the only way to judge which has sold more. It's simple,
>my retarded friend. Market penetration doesn't look at how many were sold
>in one little slice of time, but rather the whole time. It doesn't matter
>how many were sold this year if the user base is larger for the DS. Also,
>looking just at this year is rediculous, because the PSP has it's launch
>this year and therefore would have an artificial boost in sales if you cut
>out the DS launch.
>
>Like I said, don't let the facts get in your way. :)

Read the original post and realize that he was talking about this years sales
and not(specifically the last two months) and not total sales to date. You
must realize that retail tracking tracks many different sales numbers
including everything we've been talking about. Surely you understand this. No
matter though because the PSP will soon be leading in overall sales too. Make
sure you tape up all the glass in your house right now because things are
going to get messy when the PSP starts to clean plow and you start breaking
glass with all the throwing of bullshit you will be doing.

>> Total sales for the year place the DS at 904,000 units and the PSP at
>> 892,000
>> units which means they are neck and neck.
>
>Yep, the PSP had it's launch this year, and it still is behind the DS.
>Looks like you were pretty wrong about the whole mess, Pookims.

I wasn't wrong about it. Just wait till this time next year and you will
realize just how right little Pookims JoJo was.

>> Sorry if the truth hurts you.
>
>lol.
>
>> We all
>> know what the future holds for the PSP so just go ahead and kiss up to me
>> right
>> now so it doesn't hurt so much later.
>
>Why would I? I've been right every time and you've been a fool. :)

Right about what? Being the dumbass that you are? Ok you got me on that one.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 11:35:30 PM

"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

> Just curious but what exactly was this "high profile launch?" Cause they
> really did little to promote it before or during the release...

What, you didn't see it on the news? I sure did, and I don't even have
TV--I caught it while out somewhere. They made a big deal of it,
interviewed people waiting in line, etc. The DS sure didn't get attention
like that.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 11:35:31 PM

> "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Just curious but what exactly was this "high profile launch?" Cause they
>> really did little to promote it before or during the release...
>
> What, you didn't see it on the news? I sure did, and I don't even have
> TV--I caught it while out somewhere. They made a big deal of it,
> interviewed people waiting in line, etc. The DS sure didn't get attention
> like that.

The "news" is a lot different than commercials which were completely absent
until AFTER launch or an MTV special. Or even a G4 TV special for that
matter. Sony dropped the ball in terms of hype.
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 11:35:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

--

"Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Just curious but what exactly was this "high profile launch?" Cause they
>> really did little to promote it before or during the release...
>
> What, you didn't see it on the news? I sure did, and I don't even have
> TV--I caught it while out somewhere. They made a big deal of it,
> interviewed people waiting in line, etc. The DS sure didn't get attention
> like that.

There was some, but what I saw it was pretty slim. And there was really no
advertising to speak of as far Tv goes leading into the release of it. The
PSP launch was far from being high profile...many people didn't even know it
had been released.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 12:08:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

In article <42ab24d3$0$2519$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...

>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message

>Yep, the PSP had it's launch this year, and it still is behind the DS.
>Looks like you were pretty wrong about the whole mess, Pookims.

Game, set and match goes to Pookims.....

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/10/screens_6127362...

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/granturismo/index.h...

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/wrc/index.html

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/daxter/index.html

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/adventure/medievil/index.ht...

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/crisiscorefinalfantasyv...

Oh yeah baby...let the good times roll!!!
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 12:13:09 AM

In article <62Hqe.2909$jX6.819@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net says...

>"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Just curious but what exactly was this "high profile launch?" Cause they
>> really did little to promote it before or during the release...
>
>What, you didn't see it on the news? I sure did, and I don't even have
>TV--I caught it while out somewhere. They made a big deal of it,
>interviewed people waiting in line, etc. The DS sure didn't get attention
>like that.

It wasn't as big of deal with fewer units being sold.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 1:47:57 AM

jojo@cox.net (MS#1Fanboy-JoJo) writes:
> I have only stated the fact that the PSP will kick the DS in the ass in the
> long run. It supports so many things(downloaded porn movies being my
> favorite) that the DS simply can't compete.

Now that I don't understand. How is a portable good for porn? Both of your
hands are occupied holding the PSP. You can't exactly watch it on the train
either. That is one application, I think, that is better for the home
entertainment system in the darkened living room :-).

--
Cheers, The Rhythm is around me,
The Rhythm has control.

"Ray Blaak" <rAYblaaK@STRIPCAPStelus.net> wrote in message
> jojo@cox.net (MS#1Fanboy-JoJo) writes:
>> I have only stated the fact that the PSP will kick the DS in the ass in
>> the
>> long run. It supports so many things(downloaded porn movies being my
>> favorite) that the DS simply can't compete.
>
> Now that I don't understand. How is a portable good for porn? Both of your
> hands are occupied holding the PSP. You can't exactly watch it on the
> train
> either. That is one application, I think, that is better for the home
> entertainment system in the darkened living room :-).

Uhhh, you don't HAVE to manipulate yourself every time you watch porn.
Sometimes it can be for plot.

> --
> Cheers, The Rhythm is around me,
> The Rhythm has control.
> Ray Blaak The Rhythm is inside me,
> rAYblaaK@STRIPCAPStelus.net The Rhythm has my soul.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 2:52:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

In article <umzpwva3p.fsf@STRIPCAPStelus.net>, rAYblaaK@STRIPCAPStelus.net
says...

>jojo@cox.net (MS#1Fanboy-JoJo) writes:
>> I have only stated the fact that the PSP will kick the DS in the ass in the
>> long run. It supports so many things(downloaded porn movies being my
>> favorite) that the DS simply can't compete.
>
>Now that I don't understand. How is a portable good for porn? Both of your
>hands are occupied holding the PSP. You can't exactly watch it on the train
>either. That is one application, I think, that is better for the home
>entertainment system in the darkened living room :-).
>
>--
>Cheers, The Rhythm is around me,
> The Rhythm has control.
>Ray Blaak The Rhythm is inside me,
>rAYblaaK@STRIPCAPStelus.net The Rhythm has my soul.

A bathroom stall and speed tape will take care of all problems.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:40:20 AM

> The DS is falling behind here in the US. It won't cool off when people
realize
> they can play games that look as good as the ones at home while on the
run.
> Not sure what you mean by support...most big companies have announced a
bunch
> of titles for the PSP but the DS has more that are closer to coming out
> because of its headstart.

The DS isn't falling behind here yet, it's still way ahead. It's selling
slower. That's not the same thing. This time of the year is almost devoid
of software releases, and that hurts the DS a lot more than the PSP, because
of the movie/music features, etc.

As for the support, maybe it is just that the DS has more coming sooner,
although I doubt that has much to do with its small head start at retail--it
seems like Nintendo threw together the DS and got developers signed on after
Sony was prepared to go ahead with the PSP. It's probably more to do with
faster dev times (2D stuff, etc). If you look at a release calendar for the
rest of the year (or beyond, try ebgames.com), the DS has quite a few more
games on the way than the PSP. The PSP calendar looks big, but it has a lot
of movies on it.

> Its been selling solid here in the US since launch and the NPD numbers
support
> that.

I don't doubt it. I don't watch TV--don't even have it at home--but I've
seen quite a few PSP commercials, just from seeing TVs in stores, etc. They
seem to be marketing it heavily.

> I was totally writing off the DS until they showed those two adventure
style
> games at E-3 called Phoenix Wright:Ace Attorney and Trauma Center:Under
the
> Knife. Now I'm getting pretty interested in the DS. That Trauma Center
game
> puts the touch screen to good use unlike Mario DS. If they continue to
make
> games like these(they both kind of remind me of Snatcher on the Sega CD)
then
> I think the DS will have a good chance of getting older gamers like myself
> buy one.

Those don't have much appeal to me (I'm 32), but it's good to have your
genres covered, and get original and innovative games. That's one thing the
PS2 has always had over the Cube and Xbox--it has every genre well-covered.
The others have holes and weak areas in their lineups, to this day.

> Hell I'll be here even if I'm dead wrong. Unlike Fred I'm not hung up with
> always being right. I wouldn't mind it at all if the DS wins(I'm no fan of
> Sony either) but I just have a feeling that the PSP has to many features
and
> too much power for the DS to compete. Even with the price difference the
PSP
> is selling well...just imagine when they drop the price.

I don't think it's the PSP's features that will help it in the long run.
They're gimmicks, and really impractical. They're being made a big deal of
now, but the novelty will wear off. The movie player might be an exception,
which is idiotic considering the prices on UMDs, but apparently UMD sales
are very good. And power has never won in the portable area. There are
higher concerns--battery life, size, ease of use, etc. The PSP does ok on
all those, despite pre-launch grumbles. What bugs me about the PSP are the
load times, which are pretty bad, and the lack of 2D games. Portables are
the last breeding ground for 2D, and it's a good match, because 2D games are
better suited for on-the-go play.
But I really think what's going to sell the PSP is simply the Playstation
brand name, more than anything else. All Sony needs to do is get the
pricing down to sane levels.

> I thought Nintendo was seared into their handheld brains over there? PSP
sales
> will pick up when the games start rolling out(you know those weird Jap
games).

Nintendo's done very well with the GBA, but it hasn't had a strong
competitor since Sega's Game Gear. Nintendo's sold about 16 million GBAs in
Japan, vs. no competition. (insert question about how many SP's were sold
to GBA owners here).
Sony's sold 21 million PS2's in Japan, vs. Gamecube (insert question about
broken PS2's and 2nd purchases here).

I would say the Playstation brand name is stronger there than Nintendo's or
Game Boy's (and of course, the DS isn't called Game Boy--it should have
been). It should be a tough fight.
Oh-and those "weird Jap games"? That's definitely a strength of the DS over
the PSP. Nothing on the PSP could possibly be as weird as the "DS training"
IQ test thingy game. The DS is definitely going to be where the weird ones
pop up.

> I just remember it selling like a mother over there for the first six
months.
> I remember that mag called Next Generation having pictures of people
camped
> out for over six days in line just to get their hands on a machine that
would
> play Virtua Fighter. Virtua Fighter was king over there and everybody
wanted
> a Saturn(at least for the first year or so). Heck it ended up doing pretty
> good over in Japan over the long haul with games still coming out for it
clear
> up until 2003. Its game support even out lasted the PS support. All those
2D
> shooters and pinball games.

The Saturn, in my recollection, started off very strong, then slumped when
Virtua Fighter turned out to be so unimpressive, then spiked again for VF2,
and faded away fast when FF7 was announced for Playstation. But all that
aside, it's not the Saturn I was talking about. The PS did solidly from its
start, trailing the Saturn, but not by much. For example, according to Next
Generation magazine #9 (I have every issue but #3), Sony was claiming 1
million Playstations sold in Japan, and Sega was claiming 1.3 million
Saturns. Their launch dates were Dec. 3rd and Nov 23rd respectively.
That's pretty close (a lot closer than PSP and DS), and that information was
probably from around June-July 1995 (to make the Sept. issue of NG).

> Well it hurts them because a person can try a PSP game for a week at $6
> instead of paying $25,$30,$40 or $50. I played all the way through Untold
> Legends for only $6. Can't do that right now on the DS unless you get a
> smoking deal on Ebay.

Hurts who? Nintendo believes it hurts sales. I'm not sure they're right
about that--the top-selling games and top rentals are always very similar.
I think it might drive sales due to visibility and try-before-you-buy
(something Nintendo doesn't put much weight in, considering they still have
no monthly demo disc distribution).
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:46:57 AM

news:p BHqe.87121$Wr.57855@fed1read04...

> >What, you didn't see it on the news? I sure did, and I don't even have
> >TV--I caught it while out somewhere. They made a big deal of it,
> >interviewed people waiting in line, etc. The DS sure didn't get
attention
> >like that.
> >

> It wasn't as big of deal with fewer units being sold.

Well, that's reverse logic for you. If it had gotten media attention, it
would have done better. Sony didn't sell out of PSPs on day one. They sold
a lot the rest of the week--to people who decided to jump on the bandwagon
after seeing it on TV.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 7:56:23 AM

> There was some, but what I saw it was pretty slim. And there was really no
> advertising to speak of as far Tv goes leading into the release of it. The
> PSP launch was far from being high profile...many people didn't even know
it
> had been released.

It was the highest profile portable launch ever, I'd say. The DS launch, by
comparison, was non-existant. Hell, even I missed it. I didn't realize it
was out until a few days later. I definitely noticed the PSP. It was
impossible to miss--people at work even asked me if I was going to stand in
line! They'd seen it on the news, the day _before_ the launch. None of
them had heard of the DS. They didn't even know what it was weeks later
when I bought one and brought it to work.
Sure, the pre-launch advertising for PSP was slim, but that's just Sony's
arrogance. They expected to sell out. When they didn't, that's when they
hit hard with the ads.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 8:40:21 AM

In article <E8Oqe.3085$jX6.1511@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net says...

>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> The DS is falling behind here in the US. It won't cool off when people
>realize
>> they can play games that look as good as the ones at home while on the
>run.
>> Not sure what you mean by support...most big companies have announced a
>bunch
>> of titles for the PSP but the DS has more that are closer to coming out
>> because of its headstart.
>
>The DS isn't falling behind here yet, it's still way ahead. It's selling
>slower. That's not the same thing. This time of the year is almost devoid
>of software releases, and that hurts the DS a lot more than the PSP, because
>of the movie/music features, etc.

Its lead is falling month to month and after GTA(as long as the reviews are
good)comes out its all over.

> [...]
>
>I don't think it's the PSP's features that will help it in the long run.
>They're gimmicks, and really impractical. They're being made a big deal of
>now, but the novelty will wear off. The movie player might be an exception,
>which is idiotic considering the prices on UMDs, but apparently UMD sales
>are very good. And power has never won in the portable area. There are
>higher concerns--battery life, size, ease of use, etc. The PSP does ok on
>all those, despite pre-launch grumbles. What bugs me about the PSP are the
>load times, which are pretty bad, and the lack of 2D games. Portables are
>the last breeding ground for 2D, and it's a good match, because 2D games are
>better suited for on-the-go play.
>But I really think what's going to sell the PSP is simply the Playstation
>brand name, more than anything else. All Sony needs to do is get the

Blockbuster is going to start carrying the UMD movies next week and I for one
can't wait. I'm going to pick up that movie dock thing for $30 and have a
blast watching movies on my break time at work. All the features are very
practical to me including using the usb cable and having the PSP be another
hard-drive to transfer files or transfer video/music videos/pictures.
Everything works like a charm and is actually very fun to use.

>> I thought Nintendo was seared into their handheld brains over there? PSP
>sales
>> will pick up when the games start rolling out(you know those weird Jap
>games).
>
>Nintendo's done very well with the GBA, but it hasn't had a strong
>competitor since Sega's Game Gear. Nintendo's sold about 16 million GBAs in
>Japan, vs. no competition. (insert question about how many SP's were sold
>to GBA owners here).
>Sony's sold 21 million PS2's in Japan, vs. Gamecube (insert question about
>broken PS2's and 2nd purchases here).
>
>I would say the Playstation brand name is stronger there than Nintendo's or
>Game Boy's (and of course, the DS isn't called Game Boy--it should have
>been). It should be a tough fight.
>Oh-and those "weird Jap games"? That's definitely a strength of the DS over
>the PSP. Nothing on the PSP could possibly be as weird as the "DS training"
>IQ test thingy game. The DS is definitely going to be where the weird ones
>pop up.
>

>> I just remember it selling like a mother over there for the first six
>months.
>> I remember that mag called Next Generation having pictures of people
>camped
>> out for over six days in line just to get their hands on a machine that
>would
>> play Virtua Fighter. Virtua Fighter was king over there and everybody
>wanted
>> a Saturn(at least for the first year or so). Heck it ended up doing pretty
>> good over in Japan over the long haul with games still coming out for it
>clear
>> up until 2003. Its game support even out lasted the PS support. All those
>2D
>> shooters and pinball games.
>
>The Saturn, in my recollection, started off very strong, then slumped when
>Virtua Fighter turned out to be so unimpressive, then spiked again for VF2,
>and faded away fast when FF7 was announced for Playstation. But all that
>aside, it's not the Saturn I was talking about. The PS did solidly from its
>start, trailing the Saturn, but not by much. For example, according to Next
>Generation magazine #9 (I have every issue but #3), Sony was claiming 1
>million Playstations sold in Japan, and Sega was claiming 1.3 million
>Saturns. Their launch dates were Dec. 3rd and Nov 23rd respectively.
>That's pretty close (a lot closer than PSP and DS), and that information was
>probably from around June-July 1995 (to make the Sept. issue of NG).

Do you have the issue that showed people camping out waiting for the Saturn
and the original Virtua Fighter? I remember the article kinda dogged the
Saturn and Virtua Fighter but over in Japan it was king. They loved it with
its flaws and all.

>> Well it hurts them because a person can try a PSP game for a week at $6
>> instead of paying $25,$30,$40 or $50. I played all the way through Untold
>> Legends for only $6. Can't do that right now on the DS unless you get a
>> smoking deal on Ebay.
>
>Hurts who? Nintendo believes it hurts sales. I'm not sure they're right
>about that--the top-selling games and top rentals are always very similar.
>I think it might drive sales due to visibility and try-before-you-buy
>(something Nintendo doesn't put much weight in, considering they still have
>no monthly demo disc distribution).

The consumer.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 2:43:09 PM

> "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
>>
>> There was some, but what I saw it was pretty slim. And there was really
>> no
>> advertising to speak of as far Tv goes leading into the release of it.
>> The
>> PSP launch was far from being high profile...many people didn't even know
> it
>> had been released.
>
> It was the highest profile portable launch ever, I'd say. The DS launch,
> by
> comparison, was non-existant. Hell, even I missed it. I didn't realize
> it
> was out until a few days later. I definitely noticed the PSP. It was
> impossible to miss--people at work even asked me if I was going to stand
> in
> line! They'd seen it on the news, the day _before_ the launch. None of
> them had heard of the DS. They didn't even know what it was weeks later
> when I bought one and brought it to work.
> Sure, the pre-launch advertising for PSP was slim, but that's just Sony's
> arrogance. They expected to sell out. When they didn't, that's when they
> hit hard with the ads.

No, it may have been the gaming media's most high profile but non-gamers
don't go to gamestop.com or watch G4 so what good would that be getting
information to the masses. Commercials and newspaper ads are what would
accomplish that and those were non-existent until slightly before and after
launch and in small quantity at that.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 2:48:22 PM

> "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:p BHqe.87121$Wr.57855@fed1read04...
>
>> >What, you didn't see it on the news? I sure did, and I don't even have
>> >TV--I caught it while out somewhere. They made a big deal of it,
>> >interviewed people waiting in line, etc. The DS sure didn't get
> attention
>> >like that.
>> >

>> It wasn't as big of deal with fewer units being sold.
>
> Well, that's reverse logic for you. If it had gotten media attention, it
> would have done better. Sony didn't sell out of PSPs on day one. They
> sold
> a lot the rest of the week--to people who decided to jump on the bandwagon
> after seeing it on TV.

No they sold a lot on word of mouth because the TV commercials did not do
the system justice. I know I had 5 students buy it within 1 month of seeing
me bring it to school and watching Spiderman. They didn't even know what
games they wanted at the time. They just picked one up and then started
asking each other what games the others were going to get so they could play
wi-fi.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 3:36:19 PM

> Its lead is falling month to month and after GTA(as long as the reviews
are
> good)comes out its all over.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. GTA is a powerful franchise, no doubt,
but it's never done any impressive numbers in its GBA releases. It's going
to depend on the PSP's demographic, or rather, the demographic of potential
customers.
The DS, on the other hand, has some proven portable franchises on the way,
like Mario Kart, Advance Wars, Castlevania, Mega Man, and Mario Bros. They
don't have a Pokemon RPG announced (stupid), but being that Pokemon is
hands-down the best-selling portable franchise--even topping GTA's PS2
sales--one might say that once they get a Pokemon game out, it's "all over".
After all, GTA can be done on the DS if Rockstar feels like doing it
(although they probably won't based on GBA sales). Pokemon will never be on
a non-Nintendo machine.

> Blockbuster is going to start carrying the UMD movies next week and I for
one
> can't wait. I'm going to pick up that movie dock thing for $30 and have a
> blast watching movies on my break time at work. All the features are very
> practical to me including using the usb cable and having the PSP be
another
> hard-drive to transfer files or transfer video/music videos/pictures.
> Everything works like a charm and is actually very fun to use.

These things are all just novelties, like I said. I have movies and songs
on mine, too, and it's fun to show it off to people, but it's not actually a
practical machine for any of this. I have a USB micro on my keychain that
works much better for files. I have an mp3 player (a Rio Karma) that works
much, much better for music. The movie player might be the exception, as I
said, though not for me personally. Rentable UMDs will help the PSP a lot,
though, I'll bet.

> Do you have the issue that showed people camping out waiting for the
Saturn
> and the original Virtua Fighter? I remember the article kinda dogged the
> Saturn and Virtua Fighter but over in Japan it was king. They loved it
with
> its flaws and all.

Yeah, #5. The sales they had in that issue were through the end of Dec, and
the Saturn had sold 500,000 vs. the Playstation's 300,000. They even had
that broken by daily average--17,241 vs. 15,789. It was a good start for
Sega.

> >Hurts who? Nintendo believes it hurts sales. I'm not sure they're right
> >about that--the top-selling games and top rentals are always very
similar.
> >I think it might drive sales due to visibility and try-before-you-buy
> >(something Nintendo doesn't put much weight in, considering they still
have
> >no monthly demo disc distribution).
> >

> The consumer.

Oh. Well, no arguing that. Sony needs to get a UMD demo system in
place--another thing Nintendo's unlikely to do. Whether that's downloadable
demos, or a monthly disc in OPM, it's important.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 9:41:22 PM

> In article <42ab24d3$0$2519$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>>
>>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>

>>Yep, the PSP had it's launch this year, and it still is behind the DS.
>>Looks like you were pretty wrong about the whole mess, Pookims.
>

> Game, set and match goes to Pookims.....
>

> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/10/screens_6127362...
>
> http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/granturismo/index.h...
>
> http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/wrc/index.html
>
> http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/daxter/index.html
>
> http://www.gamespot.com/psp/adventure/medievil/index.ht...
>
> http://www.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/crisiscorefinalfantasyv...
>
> Oh yeah baby...let the good times roll!!!

OMG.... GT4 and GTA (and even Jak and possibly Ratchet probably not being to
far behind) are going to put PSP's sales into the upper statosphere!
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 9:43:11 PM

In article <T6Vqe.2992$hK3.2387@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net says...

>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>
>> Its lead is falling month to month and after GTA(as long as the reviews
>are
>> good)comes out its all over.
>
>I wouldn't be so sure about that. GTA is a powerful franchise, no doubt,
>but it's never done any impressive numbers in its GBA releases. It's going
>to depend on the PSP's demographic, or rather, the demographic of potential
>customers.
>The DS, on the other hand, has some proven portable franchises on the way,
>like Mario Kart, Advance Wars, Castlevania, Mega Man, and Mario Bros. They
>don't have a Pokemon RPG announced (stupid), but being that Pokemon is
>hands-down the best-selling portable franchise--even topping GTA's PS2
>sales--one might say that once they get a Pokemon game out, it's "all over".
>After all, GTA can be done on the DS if Rockstar feels like doing it
>(although they probably won't based on GBA sales). Pokemon will never be on
>a non-Nintendo machine.

Top down GTA games have never done as well as the 3D GTA games have done.

>> Blockbuster is going to start carrying the UMD movies next week and I for
>one
>> can't wait. I'm going to pick up that movie dock thing for $30 and have a
>> blast watching movies on my break time at work. All the features are very
>> practical to me including using the usb cable and having the PSP be
>another
>> hard-drive to transfer files or transfer video/music videos/pictures.
>> Everything works like a charm and is actually very fun to use.
>
>These things are all just novelties, like I said. I have movies and songs
>on mine, too, and it's fun to show it off to people, but it's not actually a
>practical machine for any of this. I have a USB micro on my keychain that
>works much better for files. I have an mp3 player (a Rio Karma) that works
>much, much better for music. The movie player might be the exception, as I
>said, though not for me personally. Rentable UMDs will help the PSP a lot,
>though, I'll bet.

Not novelties for people like me who don't have an mp3 player or a usb micro.
I just saw an article about a web browser thats coming from Sony for the PSP.
I'm already using it at work with the wireless network but I'm having to go
through that web portal that guy set up and it doesn't work that well on some
sites. The web browser coming from Sony will be another big selling point for
the PSP.

>> Do you have the issue that showed people camping out waiting for the
>Saturn
>> and the original Virtua Fighter? I remember the article kinda dogged the
>> Saturn and Virtua Fighter but over in Japan it was king. They loved it
>with
>> its flaws and all.
>
>Yeah, #5. The sales they had in that issue were through the end of Dec, and
>the Saturn had sold 500,000 vs. the Playstation's 300,000. They even had
>that broken by daily average--17,241 vs. 15,789. It was a good start for
>Sega.
>

>> >Hurts who? Nintendo believes it hurts sales. I'm not sure they're right
>> >about that--the top-selling games and top rentals are always very
>similar.
>> >I think it might drive sales due to visibility and try-before-you-buy
>> >(something Nintendo doesn't put much weight in, considering they still
>have
>> >no monthly demo disc distribution).
>> >

>> The consumer.
>
>Oh. Well, no arguing that. Sony needs to get a UMD demo system in
>place--another thing Nintendo's unlikely to do. Whether that's downloadable
>demos, or a monthly disc in OPM, it's important.

Agreed. Free stuff/cheap stuff always helps.
June 12, 2005 10:22:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

Not really. I hate what I do. I'm just a compulsive junkie and
sometimes get entwined into "certain" debacles sometimes (heheheh, I
should get that checked out). However, I'm an impromptu basher; running
by the seat of my pants. It seems your hobby (in here) requires ALOT
more time and energy. Seriously though, Nintendo might actually pay
you if they knew how hardcore you are; ya might want to give Satoru
Iwata a buzz.
Well, the Cubs are on; time to go memorize some meaningless stats.

www.IHateJohnnyDamon.com
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 2:31:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

In article <n-udnWprSIJmNjHfRVn-3Q@suscom.com>, boodybandit@hotmail.com
says...

>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>> In article <42ab24d3$0$2519$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
>> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
>>>
>>>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>>

>>>Yep, the PSP had it's launch this year, and it still is behind the DS.
>>>Looks like you were pretty wrong about the whole mess, Pookims.
>>

>> Game, set and match goes to Pookims.....
>>

>> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/10/screens_6127362...
>>
>> http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/granturismo/index.h...
>>
>> http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/wrc/index.html
>>
>> http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/daxter/index.html
>>
>> http://www.gamespot.com/psp/adventure/medievil/index.ht...
>>
>> http://www.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/crisiscorefinalfantasyv...
>>
>> Oh yeah baby...let the good times roll!!!
>
>OMG.... GT4 and GTA (and even Jak and possibly Ratchet probably not being to
>far behind) are going to put PSP's sales into the upper statosphere!

Check out the screen shots for WRC. Its got me pretty stoked right now.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 2:31:45 AM

> In article <n-udnWprSIJmNjHfRVn-3Q@suscom.com>, boodybandit@hotmail.com
> says...
>>

>>"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> In article <42ab24d3$0$2519$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
>>> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...

>>> Game, set and match goes to Pookims.....
>>>

>>> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/06/10/screens_6127362...
>>>
>>> http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/granturismo/index.h...
>>>
>>> http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/wrc/index.html
>>>
>>> http://www.gamespot.com/psp/action/daxter/index.html
>>>
>>> http://www.gamespot.com/psp/adventure/medievil/index.ht...
>>>
>>> http://www.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/crisiscorefinalfantasyv...
>>>
>>> Oh yeah baby...let the good times roll!!!
>>
>>OMG.... GT4 and GTA (and even Jak and possibly Ratchet probably not being
>>far behind) are going to put PSP's sales into the upper statosphere!
>>

> Check out the screen shots for WRC. Its got me pretty stoked right now.

If the game, WRC is as good on the PSP as it was on the PS2 then it will be
great...love the WRC games. One of those titles that many don't know about
or overlooked...
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:21:57 AM

> No they sold a lot on word of mouth because the TV commercials did not do
> the system justice. I know I had 5 students buy it within 1 month of
seeing
> me bring it to school and watching Spiderman. They didn't even know what
> games they wanted at the time. They just picked one up and then started
> asking each other what games the others were going to get so they could
play
> wi-fi.

Yeah, I saw the "don't know what games there are, but I'm buying it anyway"
phenomenon a lot. I had two acquaintances of mine ask me what games to get
AFTER they pre-paid for the PSP. That's hype at its finest.
June 13, 2005 3:50:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

2 The limited interest in the PSP, hence sluggish sales

The PSP sold 602,000 the first week. In a non holiday period (unless
you count all those St. Patricks Day revelers).

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/04/07/news_6121853.ht...

The DS sold 500,000 units at Christmas time with a much lower price
point.

http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.aspx?i=23442

So while the PSP didn't sell as much of their inventory, around 60%,
they did do bigger numbers than the DS which sold 90% of the inventory.

- Jordan
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:08:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

What a lame ass virgin this Fred is turning out to be.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:12:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message

>>Yep, the PSP had it's launch this year, and it still is behind the DS.
>>Looks like you were pretty wrong about the whole mess, Pookims.
>
> Game, set and match goes to Pookims.....

Wow, a bunch of games I've already played on the PS2. Big whoop! Funny
that any non-ports get panned.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:16:02 PM

> Nothing like a bunch of bored aircraft techs.

hahaha
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:17:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

"Leon Dexter" <leondexterNOSPAM@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Just curious but what exactly was this "high profile launch?" Cause they
>> really did little to promote it before or during the release...
>
> What, you didn't see it on the news? I sure did, and I don't even have
> TV--I caught it while out somewhere. They made a big deal of it,
> interviewed people waiting in line, etc. The DS sure didn't get attention
> like that.

Yeah, JoJo and his barrel of monkeys were all yapping about how much media
it was getting compared to the DS. Forbes mag, etc, etc, etc...

Didn't pan out, I guess, and now they are trying to rewrite history.
June 13, 2005 4:22:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

whatever happened to civilized discussion?
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:24:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

Whatever. The proper response is "Gotcha Bitch!"

Now who's trying to rewrite history. If the PSP is a "failure" by your
estimation because of its slow start, than what does that make the DS
(which started out slower in spite of a holliday season under its belt)?
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:25:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

> There was some, but what I saw it was pretty slim. And there was really no
> advertising to speak of as far Tv goes leading into the release of it. The
> PSP launch was far from being high profile...many people didn't even know
> it had been released.

Many people that didn't matter anyways. All the game sites talked about it.
All the mags talked about it, even Forbes, Money, Maxim, etc, etc, etc.
Time magazine, even.

It was hyped, despite not having many commercials about it. You're just
trying to rewrite history now, and that's lame.
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:26:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

Your link didn't work! Skye gave me this one.

www.gayassredsoxfans.com
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 6:17:17 PM

"Jordan" <lundj@earthlink.net> wrote

> 2 The limited interest in the PSP, hence sluggish sales
>
> The PSP sold 602,000 the first week. In a non holiday period (unless
> you count all those St. Patricks Day revelers).
>
> http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/04/07/news_6121853.ht...
>
> The DS sold 500,000 units at Christmas time with a much lower price
> point.
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.aspx?i=23442
>
> So while the PSP didn't sell as much of their inventory, around 60%,
> they did do bigger numbers than the DS which sold 90% of the inventory.

The DS sold out. There wasn't enough stock to sell anymore than that. The
demand was greater than the supply. The PSP was over supplied by a long
shot, and despite that, still barely outsold the DS in the first week. But,
look at the numbers. The DS has a lot more market penetration than the PSP.
Sales are pretty heavily distributed towards the launch and come in at a
pace there after. There won't be a huge spike in PSP sales that won't
correspond to a spike in DS sales. It's pretty much a done deal.
!