DirectX 10 compatibility issues

RandomQuestion

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Alright here is my problem. I got a xfx HD6950 (1GB version), but when i play games like Crysis, Crysis: Warhead, and BF:BC2, the game crashes within a few seconds/minutes with the message "the display driver has stopped responding, and has successfully recovered." I had posted a thread a couple of days ago here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=33&post=320427&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0

Back then I thought it was either a faulty card or my PSU was not supplying enough power. I have tried rolling back to CCC version 11.4 and 11.5 (which is what I'm running now) and previously had 11.6 and have also tried underclocking. I have also tried changing the Timeout Detection and Recovery which I read about here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487368.aspx

After all of that I contacted XFX about RMA'ing my card, but I'm still not convinced it is a faulty card or PSU at this point. I can play Metro 2033, TF2, NBA 2K11 and every other DirectX 9 game. If I force BF:BC2 or Crysis into DX9 mode, it will play flawlessly, albeit alot less pretty. I thought, maybe by playing in DX 9, it isn't stressing the card enough. So then I played Witcher 2 (Which I believe is a DX 9 game) with ubersampling enabled just to see if it would crash but it still chugged along (I wouldn't call it playable at 15-20 FPS though). Could it still be a hardware issue if its only DX10 that causes a problem? But I'm still kinda confused since it plays Metro 2033. The settings indicate that it is running in DX9 mode with some DX10 shaders enabled. I cant really find anything relevant about this problem through google, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction for a fix(I'm still waiting on a reply from XFX support).

My specs:
Windows Vista 64 bit
i7 930
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
6GB GSKILL Ram
1000w Kingwin PSU
XFX HD6950
1 TB HD

EDIT: I forgot to mention I've checked for faulty memory through Windows Diagnostics tool and HWMontior is reporting a max temp of 77c under load which is normal for this card