Need Advice - New Windows XP Machine

Shark Sandwich

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Long time reader, first time poster. I'm following the "How To Ask For New Build Advice" outline provided. I've been out of the build fold for awhile. And though not a newb a bit rusty on the lingo, basics, etc... Be gentle. :p

Various compatibility issues force me to remain moored to Windows XP and my Dell is on its last legs. Could do a clean install on the Dell, but looking for a stand-alone machine.

So, looking to piece together a good bang for the buck Win XP system to serve as a stand-alone DAW. I use Cakewalk Sonar 4 (ancient, I know), Sony Vegas and Guitar Port (Original Rev. Again, ancient), primarily, and am not a gamer.

Basically looking for the following to best serve as a solid, fast XP build with plenty of leg room to be extremely stable:

CPU
Motherboard
Memory
Case w/ requisite cooling
OS (?) - I have Dell Windows XP/SP2 install disk, but from what I've read will need a new XP OS specific to this build
Vid Card (?) - again, not a gamer but for Sony Vegas purposes I might need one.

--

Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Budget Range: less than $500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: DAW - Sonar 4 and Sony Vegas

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: open to recommendations

Overclocking: No

Monitor Resolution: n/a

Hmmm I had no idea posts were not responded to fast enough. Sorry for the delay.

Welcome!

OK ouch. You are trying to buy parts compatible with XP in 2011. MS does not sell this OS now. It's not so much the running as the installation. Say you find a used XP Pro somewhere... when you install it, it has to configure itself to your new hardware, and may struggle with that.

Now Win 7 Professional comes with a virtual XP mode. That might work for you?

Let me list the parts I think you need, although I warn you it's probably over $500.

OK here it is I kept the cost down and you get a system that can be upgraded for a while and will be a good start:

ASRock 880G PRO3 AM3+ AMD 880G SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
SAPPHIRE 100292DDR3L Radeon HD 5450 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card
G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBNT
Seagate Barracuda Green ST1500DL003 1.5TB 5900 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7260S-0B - OEM
Rosewill Green Series RG430-S12 430W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core ...
Rosewill Smart One ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, Black interior, comes with three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Rear ...
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ955FBGMBOX
TOTAL: $590.21 (That's shipped to me, it's a script I use from the newegg shopping cart, saves me time.)