Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX 670 running at PCIE 3.0 x8 instead of x16?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Graphics Cards
Last response: in Motherboards
September 22, 2012 5:38:58 PM

On GPU-Z it states that my graphics card is only running at x8 speed (pcie 3). My motherboard, asrock extreme 4 says that it ca support a card at 16x and 2 at 8x. However, I am currently running only 1 card so I don't see why it does that. I benchmark a lot so that 1% increase would be useful (just trying to discourage posts that might say that there's no difference). Any help?

edit: I have a i5-3570k which supports pcie 3.0

More about : gtx 670 running pcie x16

a c 137 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 5:43:30 PM

Even when you do the Render Test in GPU-Z it only says x8?

Still, I'm gonna be one of "those" people that say it doesn't matter because it doesn't. I don't care what you do, 1% isn't gonna affect you. What, 2-3 more FPS, LOL. Come on...
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 6:24:44 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Even when you do the Render Test in GPU-Z it only says x8?

^+1 yep. The GPU's when there's no load 'throttle down' and if you as @DJDeCiBeL stated run the render then it 'should' read x16 PCIe 3.0 on the top PCIe slot and only if there's no other 'card' in the shared x8 PCIe slot below.

/edit - on GPU-z click the '?' to the right of the 'BUS Interface', start the full screen option render, run for a few seconds, press ESC then look again.
m
l
Related resources
September 22, 2012 10:00:59 PM

I forgot to say that I did that render test thing and it still was at 8x. And since unigine and 3dmark benchmarks are in the thousands, the 1% makes some difference.

I'm using the bottom pcie slot since the hyper evo was kinda getting in the way and I had some cables running close to the top one which may have touched and damaged it, if that matters at all.
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 10:41:16 PM

badhomaks said:
I'm using the bottom pcie slot since the hyper evo was kinda getting in the way and I had some cables running close to the top one which may have touched and damaged it, if that matters at all.

That actually may have something to do with it.

I'm not really understanding the clearance and wire issue though. There should be plenty of space between the cooler and the GPU and wires close to or even touching the GPU (while not the most ideal), isn't a terribly destructive or dangerous thing. A pic with the GPU in the top slot would help, though.

I'm still not understanding your obsession with benchmarks either, since they're only for bragging rights. They're pointless and meaningless beyond telling if your system is performing well. A few hundred points on a 3DMark score means nothing. Don't get hung up on bench scores, or you'll drive yourself insane for no benefit at all other than making yourself look "cool" (or not, to me, since I really couldn't care less). Unless you're in a competition and that competition pays you for the highest score, don't worry so much about it.

I'm old school, though, so what do I know, right?
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 22, 2012 11:26:59 PM

badhomaks said:
I forgot to say that I did that render test thing and it still was at 8x. And since unigine and 3dmark benchmarks are in the thousands, the 1% makes some difference.

AFAIK all the 2nd slots on these Z77 mobos is 8X MAX since most people only use it in SLI and the total 16 Lanes are split (8X/8X) in SLI. If you want PCIE3.0 16X, place it in the first slot, mobo manufacture all said you should put your GPU in the top slot for best performance in their user manual because they didn't bother connect the extra 8 lanes to slot 2.

p.s It is not going to affect your GPU performance, Graphic card are still not capable of saturating 8 PICE3.0 Lanes.
a c 717 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
September 23, 2012 12:12:55 AM

badhomaks said:
I'm using the bottom pcie slot since...

That's 100% of the issue.

It works:
x16/x0 or x8/x8 so anytime the 2nd non-primary PCIe slot is used, it's shared, it's x8/x8. The only solution is to solve the top PCIe 'space' issue or live with it...
m
l
September 23, 2012 1:23:49 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
That actually may have something to do with it.

I'm not really understanding the clearance and wire issue though. There should be plenty of space between the cooler and the GPU and wires close to or even touching the GPU (while not the most ideal), isn't a terribly destructive or dangerous thing. A pic with the GPU in the top slot would help, though.

I'm still not understanding your obsession with benchmarks either, since they're only for bragging rights. They're pointless and meaningless beyond telling if your system is performing well. A few hundred points on a 3DMark score means nothing. Don't get hung up on bench scores, or you'll drive yourself insane for no benefit at all other than making yourself look "cool" (or not, to me, since I really couldn't care less). Unless you're in a competition and that competition pays you for the highest score, don't worry so much about it.

I'm old school, though, so what do I know, right?

Well I just think that giving extra room between the graphics card and the cooler couldn't hurt in case something somehow short-circuits.

Regarding the benchmarks, idk, it just feels good to know that you have one of the best performances for that gpu in the whole world (like the top 10%-15%).
m
l
September 23, 2012 1:26:41 AM

Best answer selected by badhomaks.
m
l
September 23, 2012 1:27:22 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, but since I don't wanna disassemble the graphics card from the mobo, I'll just leave it there.
m
l
!