GeForce 9800 GT Malfunctioning

WoeHammer

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Hey, I'm new here.

I have an NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT. Several times, I've had my computer screen glitch. Patterns distort and colors change. The computer will sometimes freeze, sometimes go back to the desktop. I can still get on the computer and can run Microsoft Office programs. ALSO, the card temperature gets up to 87-89 Fahrenheit.

My set up is decent:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00Ghz
8 Gigs of RAM

Is it worth it to get another card or does this sound fixable?

Thank-you so much for even reading this!

Solution

Most motherboards share the ram with the video card, it is an option you can disable from the CMOS (bios) most of the time. Do not worry, you have more than enough ram though. When the video ram is full up during gameplay, your system will allow the game to use an extra 3GB from your RAM instead of video...
are you sure the temp reading is in F, and not C? If the card is overheating, then....

If you remove the fans and all plastics/shrouds, there was a solution I read about on putting cards in conventional ovens at some relatively low temp to loosen up heat sinks, so they dould be removed/cleaned, and have new thermal paste applied and then a dab of glue to secure the sinks....

Is also possible Your PSU is now marginal at supplying it power....

Davste

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
When that happened to me, I opened up my card's heat sink and found a huge layer of compressed dust blocking the fans. It gave me no more problems after I cleaned it.

WoeHammer

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011

I've actually thought about it being dust. I'll try opening it up and cleaning it out, thank you all for replying!

WoeHammer

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
So I bought a can of compressed air and opened the computer, and I cleared out the dust.

I have another question though. When I run dxdiag and look under display...I see that I have "Approx Total Memory: 4071 MB" and I've been recommended the Radeon HD 5850. I looked up the card on Amazon and it says it only has 1 GB. Is that bad? I'm so confused. So does my current card have 4 GB of memory but this newer card only have 1?

WoeHammer

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
Okay, so my card is 170-172 degrees Fahrenheit while running a game...That seems too hot to me.

Can anyone recommend a new card?

I have an XPS 630 with...

Windows 7 (64 bit)
Intel Core 2 Duo (3.00GHz)
8 Gigs of RAM
500 Gig Hard-drive
750W psu

Thanks again you guys!

Davste

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011

Most motherboards share the ram with the video card, it is an option you can disable from the CMOS (bios) most of the time. Do not worry, you have more than enough ram though. When the video ram is full up during gameplay, your system will allow the game to use an extra 3GB from your RAM instead of video memory. It's slower, but it does the job. Don't worry about it.

One more thing, 170 fahrenheit (that's around 72 degrees right?) is PERFECTLY NORMAL for a 9800 under stress. Nvidia cards run hot as hell. Some of them even peak at 90 degrees, but I'm not saying that's good.

Here are some more things that can help reduce the temperature quite alot:
> Take apart the card and apply thermal paste.
(Just remove the 9-10 screws on the backside of the card with a Philips Screwdriver and then clean up the paste with some alcohol or surgical spirit and a lint-free cloth (old t-shirts work great). Then apply your own paste to the GPU, and put the card back together. You can reuse the thermal pads on the memory, I have done it many times and never had an issue. )
One more thing. It's easy to take apart the card, but remember how to put it back together (which skrews go where.. ;))

Other than that I cannot help much more. That card is a bit old, don't expect it to last a lot longer.

Solution

WoeHammer

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011

Alright, I'll try that. But seriously, thank-you for your help.

I'll keep doing research, but do you have any recommendations on what to get next?

Davste

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
As for a new card, I recommend the following:
> $150 - Average performance: ATI 5770 (Cheap and reliable, but not the best cards nowadays)
> $210 - Very good performance: ATI 6870 (Very good card. Look into the 6850 if you want a quieter and cooler card with a huge overclocking headroom)

If you intend to get an i7 in the future, consider getting a 6950. It's a really good card, but quite expensive. It will last quite a while. If you are going to stay
with the Core 2 duo though, seriously, you won't notice the difference between the 6870 and the 6950, because the CPU will be a huge bottleneck.

Bilal_09

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
My graphics card

"ASUS EN9800GT MT/HTDI/512M GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card" is not working properly. When i turn on my P.c it wont show any display on the monitor . I tried checking it on another P.c and monitor but faced the same result. However on the other P.c ( Intel DH67CL) it gave four beeps ( thermal warming ).

What is the problem with my Card? and is it fixable ?