Issues with slowness and crashing, and BSOD

Daksund

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Hello, recently (past 2 or 3 weeks) my computer has been having some serious issues. FYI, I have had the computer for about 4 or 5 months, with little to no problems up until now. I am unsure of what exactly is causing the problem (although I guess CPU given general slowness), so I will try to be as descriptive as possible (I will list specs at bottom of post);

A few weeks ago, my computer was running very slowly; it took forever to open or start new programs, internet loading often froze up with no network issues, and playing video games on the computer became impossible (Oblivion automatically restarts when I load a game, Fallout 3 blue screens when I attempt to load or start a game, and Civilization IV crashes after about 50 turns (when more activity accumulates).

I checked a number of possible solutions; I made sure my specifications were properly identified and above recommended levels; they are. Then I checked to see if anything might be wrong with the installation of hardware; wiring not connected, etc. I found that the CPU fan was not entirely screwed in, and the thermal-paste was pretty much gone. Sure enough, Speedfan recorded temps up to 95 degrees Celsius..... I screwed it in (have not added new thermal-paste; should I?) and it is now running at around 40. This happened yesterday, so there ain't much more to report. Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel i5 2500k (3.30GHz)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD15EARS-00MVWB0 (1.5 TB)
Computer: ACPI Multiprocessor PC
PSU: 630W from some company or another; if it's important, I can find out.

I've made several attempts to correct the issue; ran Kaspersky, came up with nothing, ran Auslogics Defrag, fragmented and optimized, ran Disc Check, corrected many issues. Still, getting issues. I don't know what else to add, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Well based on your temps you definitely were experiencing thermal throttling! Yes you should re apply paste. Have you checked in BIOS/UEFI if it is still running down clocked from the thermal events? Maybe resetting the BIOS to defaults would clear the Issue!

Daksund

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Ok thanks for the reply, I'll see if I can get thermal paste done in tomorrow (it's 9PM here), and I'll check BIOS right now. I'll get an update in within the hour.

Your motherboard has either a jumper or a button to reset BIOS/CMOS! The same can be achieved with removing the motherboard battery for a few moments. This of course is done with the power off (some people even unplug the PSU and hit the power button on the case to make sure all electricity is discharged) otherwise the motherboard is toast. when finished and you start up the computer again the motherboard will be back to factory defaults so any tweaks or activated controllers have to be redone.

Daksund

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Ok, I suppose I will give that a shot; wish me luck...

EDIT: I looked around and couldn't find a battery to remove; I have an 1155 socket, and I removed the cord connecting the MB to the PSU for a few seconds, as well as flipping the switch. I will look it up on the internet to see where the battery is, and then try my game again; if I get blue screen, I'll search once more. I probably won't get on for the rest of the night, or until 20:00 GMT tomorrow. Adios y buenas noches.

Daksund

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I removed and put back in the motherboard battery, and it seems that the problem has been exacerbated; speedfan is telling me that CPU usage is going all over the place between 10% and 80% while not doing anything, and that one core (Core 0) is at 98 degrees while the others are less than 40. The computer is really slow and freezing a lot; 3 times it has frozen on me, so I will hurry up and finish this message; I'll check when I can get on another computer for any more suggestions, thanks.

Sounds like heat; anything over 70C is danger territory. Confirm those temps using Coretemp or Realtemp.

(Seriously, I'm still shocked about some of the steps people recommend for debugging; you confirm the problem first, THEN you try and fix it. If you think its thermal, then get some temperature readings BEFORE recommending to pull out hardware.)

Looks like core 0 did not survive not having the cooler properly attached!