CM Silent Pro M700 Crossfire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhenomX

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Can this PSU Crossfire? Like for example, Xfire 6870? or Xfire 6950? The box says SLI Ready but nothing on Xfire Ready. >_<

Solution

I would consider that only one 8 pin connection per cable and use molex adapters for the other connection if you need the 8pin. If you on the other hand need 2 x 6 pin I would use both connectors on the cable based on this info http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDFAQs&op=FAQ_Question&ndfaq_id=19 and the fact is that the connectors are rated 75W 6-pin and 150W 8-pin!

PhenomX

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I just check my connectors, and I have 1 PCIe connector that splits in the end with 1 6pin and 1 6+2pin. And another the same, 1 6pin and 1 6+2pin. So I've got a total of 2 6pin and 2 6+2pin is this right?

I would consider that only one 8 pin connection per cable and use molex adapters for the other connection if you need the 8pin. If you on the other hand need 2 x 6 pin I would use both connectors on the cable based on this info http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDFAQs&op=FAQ_Question&ndfaq_id=19 and the fact is that the connectors are rated 75W 6-pin and 150W 8-pin!

Solution

PhenomX

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

Owh! Now I get it, Thanks a lot for you time. I guess I'm going for a single GPU over crossfire, since I would need to use 6pin molex adapter which is always not recommended for long-term use. :)

Overclock3D.net's review of the Cooler Master Silent Pro M700 (RS-700-AMBA-D3) the voltage stability of the unit is somewhat unusual, with both the +5v and +12v rails taking a roller-coaster ride depending on the distribution of load between them. They also stated "... we can't help but wonder what kind of results a user would see with a configuration that exerts a very unbalanced load on the +5v and +12v rails (e.g a dual graphics card PC)."

jonnyGURU.com also experienced the same behaviour with the Coolermaster Silent Pro M600. "The news is not all good, however, for we see the two crossload tests have brought the unit down to earth. Several voltages are out of spec. This means one thing - group regulation - where the 5V and 12V are regulated together and dependent on one another." This just confirms what Overclock3D.net found with their 700W model review since both units are based on the the same design made by Enhance Electronics.

I would have expected at least four PCIe power connectors on the Silent Pro M700 to handle two graphics cards but this may be the reason why there isn't. Cooler Master probably didn't want to have to deal with the possible problems that would arise.

PhenomX

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

I guess I bought a decent PSU for single GPU but I have the Asus M5A97 which allows me to crossfire. Oh well, single GPU for me :/

Status
Not open for further replies.