Radeon HD 6950 Driver Problems

The driver's for my graphics card have causing my display to freeze, despite the sound and programs still running. I downloaded drivers from AMD's website and even Windows Update, but with no avail. After restarting the computer as prompted I got Blue Screened, with "Atikmdag.sys" listed as the sore spot. I rebooted my computer, went into safe mode, and searched my hard drive for "Atikmdag.sys" It didn't appear, except under "System 32" which I am unable to delete, not any ATI or AMD labeled file. I restarted the computer normally and a popup appeared saying that I had no video card drivers. After checking my device manager, I found that it wants me to restart my computer to fully install the drivers, causing a paradox trying to fry my brains with the stress and tiredness brought from this issue. Am I missing anything vital to do? I do not want to constantly be cold killing my computer from my display drivers crashing.

*Note* I am typing this on a laptop.

- Thanks, Justis
2 answers Last reply
More about radeon 6950 driver problems
  1. try system restore to before the 'issue' occured, and update the graphics drivers.
  2. The problem is that the freezing started a month or two after I built my computer, and I had been running on the same drivers with no problems until recently. Is there a chance that it's a hardware failure that an RMA would solve?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Drivers Computer Graphics