Digital video cable problems

Last response: in Digital Camera
March 31, 2005 4:26:35 PM

Hiya,

I am a bit confused, and as I am abroad it is hard to find anyone to
ask (given that my communication skills are not that sophisticated).

I bought in England a digital video camera. A Canon MV 700 i. I want
to connect it to my laptop which runs XP and has video editing
software.

I thought I needed a firewire cable, a firewire card for computer, and
suitable software.

The shop when I bought the camera ~(right before going abroad – which
was silly) told me that I didn't need a firewire cable as my laptop
had a fast USB connection (USB2??) and therefore I could use a DV
cable and did not need a firewire cable. (I was not convinced, and
reluctant to be left abroad with the wrong connection, and made them
check it with the manager, and the specification list.) And I was
slightly confused, are firewire and DV cables the same thing or
totally different? Having unpacked and tried the camera out the DV
cable I was sold is not the right fit to connect the camera.

Can any one help me with the name of specification of the cable that I
do need? The DV female part of the camera is rectangular, with an
indent in one side, and holes for four pins. The DV wire I was sold is
semi circular, with an indent.

Do I need a fire wire cable? Will that mean I need new software? It
has occurred to me that I probably can't install a firewire card in my
laptop, as presumably you can't just put the card in like you can in a
normal computer?

Does anyone know what cable I need? Presumably DV to fit camera at one
end and fast USB2 at the other end. Can I order it online, perhaps
from Amazon UK? And pay extra to have it delivered to Europe?

Any help deeply appreciated

Many thanks

Pip
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:41:42 AM

wingedhorse wrote:
> Hiya,
>
> I am a bit confused, and as I am abroad it is hard to find anyone to
> ask (given that my communication skills are not that sophisticated).
>
> I bought in England a digital video camera. A Canon MV 700 i. I want
> to connect it to my laptop which runs XP and has video editing
> software.
>
> I thought I needed a firewire cable, a firewire card for computer, and
> suitable software.
>
> The shop when I bought the camera ~(right before going abroad – which
> was silly) told me that I didn't need a firewire cable as my laptop
> had a fast USB connection (USB2??) and therefore I could use a DV
> cable and did not need a firewire cable. (I was not convinced, and
> reluctant to be left abroad with the wrong connection, and made them
> check it with the manager, and the specification list.) And I was
> slightly confused, are firewire and DV cables the same thing or
> totally different? Having unpacked and tried the camera out the DV
> cable I was sold is not the right fit to connect the camera.
>
> Can any one help me with the name of specification of the cable that I
> do need? The DV female part of the camera is rectangular, with an
> indent in one side, and holes for four pins. The DV wire I was sold is
> semi circular, with an indent.
>
> Do I need a fire wire cable? Will that mean I need new software? It
> has occurred to me that I probably can't install a firewire card in my
> laptop, as presumably you can't just put the card in like you can in a
> normal computer?
>
> Does anyone know what cable I need? Presumably DV to fit camera at one
> end and fast USB2 at the other end. Can I order it online, perhaps
> from Amazon UK? And pay extra to have it delivered to Europe?
>
> Any help deeply appreciated

Hi Pip...

Don't have one; so can't offer much by way of help...

According to the published specs it supports both firewire
and usb.

Can't tell where you are in Europe, but surely there's a
computer store available to you? If so, I'd suggest that you
take both the camera and the laptop in with you, just ask for
a usb cable.

Good luck, and take care.

Ken
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 3:53:18 AM

wingedhorse wrote:

>Hiya,
>
>I am a bit confused, and as I am abroad it is hard to find anyone to
>ask (given that my communication skills are not that sophisticated).
>
>I bought in England a digital video camera. A Canon MV 700 i. I want
>to connect it to my laptop which runs XP and has video editing
>software.
>
>I thought I needed a firewire cable, a firewire card for computer, and
>suitable software.
>
>The shop when I bought the camera ~(right before going abroad – which
>was silly) told me that I didn't need a firewire cable as my laptop
>had a fast USB connection (USB2??) and therefore I could use a DV
>cable and did not need a firewire cable. (I was not convinced, and
>reluctant to be left abroad with the wrong connection, and made them
>check it with the manager, and the specification list.) And I was
>slightly confused, are firewire and DV cables the same thing or
>totally different? Having unpacked and tried the camera out the DV
>cable I was sold is not the right fit to connect the camera.
>
>Can any one help me with the name of specification of the cable that I
>do need? The DV female part of the camera is rectangular, with an
>indent in one side, and holes for four pins. The DV wire I was sold is
>semi circular, with an indent.
>
>Do I need a fire wire cable? Will that mean I need new software? It
>has occurred to me that I probably can't install a firewire card in my
>laptop, as presumably you can't just put the card in like you can in a
>normal computer?
>
>Does anyone know what cable I need? Presumably DV to fit camera at one
>end and fast USB2 at the other end. Can I order it online, perhaps
>from Amazon UK? And pay extra to have it delivered to Europe?
>
>Any help deeply appreciated
>
>Many thanks
>
>Pip

Hi,
How about reading manual?
That camera can use either interface, USB2 or FW. Cable should come with
camera in the box.
Your laptop ought to have USB port. So better get a correct USB cable.
Camera end has mini
USB connector of different shape and size. It has to be right one.
Tony
!