8.00 GB (3.74 GB usable)

CharlesW16

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Hello everyone,

I like to consider myself a beginner when it comes to computers and this one has me stumped :pfff:
I just built a budget AMD 455 machine with a Biostar a880gz mobo. For some reason I can't get the full 8gb to be utilized. I am running 64bit Win7 ultimate. I figure the onboard graphics are using some of the RAM but surely not over half... :heink: Ive tried reseating the ram and CPU multiple times.

This is the RAM I am using http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104173

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CharlesW16

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I have verified both RAM sticks due in fact work. When I just one in, they both work. However they only work when plugged into the first dimm. If one stick is only in the second dimm it fails to boot. When I go into the bios (with both sticks installed) it shows that both dimms have RAM in them, but whenever I boot, I get this

I'm starting to think the board is faulty. I need to know soon before the newegg return policy is up. :fou: :fou:

Biostar A880GZ - http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_ID=555&tab=3
Support Dual Channel DDR3 800/1066/1333(supportted by CPU model)/1600(OC)/1866(OC) MHz
2 x DDR3 DIMM Memory Slot
Max. Supports up to 8GB Memory

Try (1) stick in each DIMM slot, and sure you can have a bad DIMM slot. Keep in mind your RAM is 1.65v @ Rated and 1.50v @ DDR3-1333 or slower.

Q - What if any changes have you made in the BIOS?

Next, try to Clear the CMOS, unplug the PSU for 5 minutes, then move the CMOS 'Jumper' for 5 seconds or longer, then place the Jumper in the Default position, boot into the BIOS and 'Load 'Optimized' Defaults, Exit & Save = 'Yes' and see what happens. Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

You can try to update to BIOS '88PMP824.BSS' often it 'can' be an old BIOS issue.

CharlesW16

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

It will boot when one stick is in the first slot, but when one stick is in the 2nd slot I get nothing. I will try clearing the CMOS with the instructions you provided and report back. I will go ahead and update the BIOS while I'm at it.

The only change I have done to the BIOS is unlocked the core, which seems to work fine as a QUAD core (as jaquith stated, that's why it showed up as a Phenom), however I have no need for it, so I will most likely revert back to three cores in the future, it was for kicks and giggles.

Also, if I do deem this board defective, how is Newegg's return policy? I hope its not shoddy.

First, hopefully the core unlocking and/or BIOS is the issue - my preference and I'm sure yours.

NewEgg is EXTREMELY good and if the MOBO was sold to you 30 days or less then you'll have no problems. In fact as an 'option' you can arrange an 'Accelerated Cross Ship' -- essentially you buy a 2nd MOBO and once the old is returned and inspected you get refunded for the 2nd MOBO; 1-2 days. Otherwise, contact NewEgg for an RMA and ship it back to them; approximately 1 week turn around time.

CharlesW16

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I reset the CMOS, restored to default settings and still no dice. I went to the biostar website and entered my product credentials and the latest BIOS they listed for download was "88PMP208.BSS". Where can I find this '88PMP824.BSS' version your talking about?

Ugh, I'm starting to think I need to RMA it.

CharlesW16

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
For some reason I didn't see that listed... Anyway, just updated the BIOS to the version you posted via the BIO-flasher utility, reset the CMOS again, reseated the ram.... again... and it still reports total memory as 4096MB. Any other possible reasons this could happen? This is driving me crazy!

Forgot to mention, I manually set the RAM frequency to 1333 in hopes of something... but of course...

CharlesW16

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

I'm starting to think the same. I'm still confused though, I don't understand how Windows can recognize that I have 8 GB installed, it just can't utilize it. I would assume that if the RAM slot is faulty it would register at all in Windows. I'll take a few more opinions before I pull it and ship it back to Newegg... Stuff is never as simple as expected. :fou:

CharlesW16

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012

Incorrect, with (1) stick the PC will only boot if the single stick is in the 1st DIMM slot. If the stick is in the 2nd DIMM slot, it will not boot, fans turn on, harddrive spins up, but monitor stays blank.