Your question

Asus m5a97 r2.0, won't boot

Tags:
  • Asus
  • Boot
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
September 22, 2012 8:32:32 PM

Hello, I recently bought an asus m5a97 r2.0 and 2 4gb sticks of ram. On first attempt to boot everything powered up, but the monitor received no signal. I tried placing the ram in every combination of slots and ran memok. The red memok light only blinked endlessly after I pressed it. Finally I tried updating the bios with usb flash back. But the process won't complete. The light flashes after 3 seconds like it id supposed to, but hasn't finished after more than an hour.

Relevant components:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : asus m5a97 boot

September 23, 2012 4:26:53 AM

you may have bricked your motherboard when you flashed it. you should first checked if the rams you have is compatible with your board, interupted bios uppdates, really im pretty if you did that your board will not boot until you recover the bios correctly, you shouldnt have done that update until the pc boots normally, what if the rams are the ones faulty my friend
m
l
September 24, 2012 11:49:00 AM

Hi,
Don't panic, I did the same thing with an FX-4170 !

You'll find If you put the Video card in the second PCIE slot it will work fine.

I still haven't got to the bottom of it, but I'm working on it.

Fortunately I bought an Asus HD7750 Video card, so I can complain direct to Asus.

At least I know it's definitely not the RAM or the processor now.

What I haven't figured out is if the card runs in x16 mode or x4 mode in the second slot, the performance seems OK, but I can't compare it to much, it runs 7.4 on the Win7 rating.

I'll keep working on the problem.

LeonP

m
l
Related resources
January 23, 2013 5:15:01 PM

any update on the problem. because i've had the same problem with my board and if you found a work around it would be better then me having to try and return it and get a new one. i know this thread is kind of old but any help would be nice.
m
l
February 14, 2013 4:27:31 PM

Hi at all!
I have the same problem but at the first moment work fine all, but after bios update (1503) the system don't boot and DRAM LED flashing infinetely and beep.

My configuration is:

- M5A97 R 2.0
- AMD FX 8320
- CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2X4GB 16000MHz 9-9-9-24
- AMDI RADEON HD 6850

Please help!!!

Sorry for my bad english
m
l
March 7, 2013 2:45:51 AM

Hey Guys.... im sort of new to this but im having the same problem uninstalling my old Geforce GT 620 and installing my XFX Radeon HD 7750... I take the old GT 620 out and put the new 7750 in and the monitor says "No VGA input"?

Please help me guys!

-M5A97 R 2.0
-AMD FX 8320
-CORSAIR VENGEANCE 2*4GB
-GEFORCE GT 620------>trying to get 7750
-APevia X DREAMER3

m
l
March 12, 2013 3:37:48 PM

THIS MOBO IS A PILE OF CRAP! you get ramdom crashing on boot when you leave a flash stick/cd in it you just get stuck on the asus splash screen or no signal from your gpu the only thing you can do that works is remove all power then restart the computer clicking f2 or delete to get the uefi bios up and click boot harddrive (it will take 4-7 times) and the bios DOSENT REMBER THE BOOT ORDER!!!
And ive tryed all the bios updates from asus..........i usealy love asus mobos but this one is just a brick as soon as i can aford a better one i will replace it
m
l
August 25, 2013 3:37:59 PM

btgunderson said:
Hello, I recently bought an asus m5a97 r2.0 and 2 4gb sticks of ram. On first attempt to boot everything powered up, but the monitor received no signal. I tried placing the ram in every combination of slots and ran memok. The red memok light only blinked endlessly after I pressed it. Finally I tried updating the bios with usb flash back. But the process won't complete. The light flashes after 3 seconds like it id supposed to, but hasn't finished after more than an hour.

Relevant components:

Ever get this MOBO to work for you ? If so...??
m
l
February 25, 2014 6:30:06 AM

hii .!!!

i have this mobo asus m5a97 le r2.0 having same kind of problem that when i turned on my pc everything working in cpu i mean fans were running hd light and other lights were blinking. but monitor didnt getting any signal death black ..!! i had to manually power off the smps and then trun it on and start the pc again some how it works but i was always be worry as i spent money on that..!!

the solution i did was manually clear cmos by removing cmos battery..!! one thing was i told by my frnd that if you have mobo drivers like asus suit II install on pc the uninstall it cuzz it has overclocking utilities which drive up ur chip+mobo automatically overclock according to software demands and games demands..!

so what i did i uninstall all the asus suit driver and yes it some how works ..!! not having this problem since that day..!!

u can try this as well if u installed asus suit II

sorry for english :D 

m
l
April 17, 2014 11:31:50 PM

I had same problem with M5A97 LE R2.0 won't boot or post, constant rebooting for no reason.
I solved the problem by getting a 650 watt psu.
The old 550 watt psu was the minimum to run motherboard, cpu, vga and memory.
m
l
June 27, 2014 3:25:22 PM

hoz152 said:

Hi,
Don't panic, I did the same thing with an FX-4170 !

You'll find If you put the Video card in the second PCIE slot it will work fine.

I still haven't got to the bottom of it, but I'm working on it.

Fortunately I bought an Asus HD7750 Video card, so I can complain direct to Asus.

At least I know it's definitely not the RAM or the processor now.

What I haven't figured out is if the card runs in x16 mode or x4 mode in the second slot, the performance seems OK, but I can't compare it to much, it runs 7.4 on the Win7 rating.

I'll keep working on the problem.

LeonP

The second slot only supports 4x. Im having a similar problem, bought a new m5a97 with a FX 8350 cpu and sapphire R9 270x gpu, and one stick of 8gb 1600 ddr3 ram. Installed everything, bit no picture. No mem lights blinking. Guess ill try the second slot and if nothing then il reinstall the cpu
m
l
July 3, 2014 3:09:21 PM

Did you manage to make it work?????

The second slot only supports 4x. Im having a similar problem, bought a new m5a97 with a FX 8350 cpu and sapphire R9 270x gpu, and one stick of 8gb 1600 ddr3 ram. Installed everything, bit no picture. No mem lights blinking. Guess ill try the second slot and if nothing then il reinstall the cpu
[/quotemsg]

m
l
August 3, 2014 2:53:25 PM

I had big problems getting this going. Went into AI Tweaker in advanced BIOS, set AI Overclock Tuner from auto to manual, haven't had a problem since. I think the CPU was overheating, the crashes looked hardware.
8GB Patriot Viper 1600 1 stick
EVGA 650 GTX
m
l
August 13, 2014 11:05:13 AM

I called ASUS tech support directly with this issue and this is what they had me do:

In BIOS go to AI Tweaker and scroll down to change boot options on your hard drive from "Legacy opROM" to "Both, UEFI first" to fix boot issues. It defaults to Legacy opROM and most hard drives are UEFI now.

Also in AI Tweaker change the ram settings from "Auto" to "D.O.C.P." and then select the proper profile (profile #0) for your xmp settings. If your RAM is rated above 1333Mhz, you'll have to do this so the bios will load the proper speed for the ram. To see if your ram has xmp settings, in the bios hit F3 and select S.P.D to check out all your ram specs.

I had the same issue where the computer would not boot properly. I would either have to pull the ram out and reseat it every time, or power cycle 4-6 times before I could get into the bios and manually select to boot to my hard drive. I tried upgrading the BIOS, changing out the ram, changing the video card, changing the power supply, nothing helped. It was buried in the bios settings.

PC Specs:
M5A97 R2.0 mobo (bios rev. 2501)
AMD FX-6350 3.9Ghz six-core
Radeon R9 270x 2GB DDR5
4GB 1600MHz zeus team group ram
650W rosewill power supply
samsung 1TB 7200rpm hard drive
atapi dvd drive

UPDATE: I've changed out my ram completely with 16gb of corsair, but I still have these same boot issues. After spending another hour on the phone waiting for Asus (the guy I got this time was a clueless moron), he finally swore is was my hard drive that was bad and to replace that first.

I'll work on the hard drive part, since that is the oldest component in my system, but I still think this motherboard is a load of crap. Would a bad hard drive cause consistent boot failure off a sleeping/hibernating system? And crashes in the BIOS settings after that?
m
l
November 5, 2014 12:17:59 AM

Had similar problem.
after reading many posts i replaced my 500watts PSU with 700 watts one. but problem remained.
eventually i found out that i had one defective ram. if i run machine with this ram it simply wont display anything on screen, all fans and components runs but no display. it wont give even any beep. i tried to put one stick at a time in A1 slot and violla problem solved. display was there with good ram but even if i use one good ram and a bad one it wont start.

my config
m5a97 evo r2.o
amd 6300
asus r7260
4gb*2 corsair
700watts (87 % efficiency)

m
l
November 26, 2014 12:16:26 PM

i recently bought the same board, fx 8310 cpu, corsair venegence ram 2x4gb and ssd. no post, thought it was the ram, tested ram with all combos, still nothing. got adata ram 2x4gb(checked the qvl for the board) pulled battery and reset cmos, works now.
m
l
February 4, 2015 7:09:19 AM

Hi all
About a month ago i faced the same kind of issue hope the solution that i got will help you guys also.
I got asus m5a97r2.0 motherboard and paired it up with a fx 6300 processor and 4 gigs of kingston hyperx fury ram. It worked for like till windows installation finished and when the system started it got hanged. I didn't had an option other than power off the PC. I powered off the PC and powered it on and this time monitor was showing no signal along with no post. I tried every possible thing a person can imagine to fix it but it didn't worked even replaced my rams. I cant say the issue will be the same for every 1. With no choice left i took the mobo to serv center for repair. Within a week i got a new mobo which i got back and tried to run my system with it. It didnt boot up again no signal on monitor. Then again i took the mobo to the servc centre told dem its not wrkin they apologised and took it back again after 1 week i got a new mobo which was checked informt of me that its workin and giving monitor signals. I took the motherboard home and tried running my ststem on it.It worked for like 5 mns and again crashed on restarting same no monitor signals. Luckily it was day time i immediately took the mobo back to servc center and told its not working they said they checked it was working which was correct. Then again they checked it didn't worked. The tech person allowed me to sit with him and see what was the issue as i was highly frustrated with all the efforts i was putting on a new mobo. Then he told that the mobo got shot circuited. I asked then he told me what i was doing wrong. Again this may be a scenario not applicable for every1. I was directly placing the mobo on my chasis. which when powered up earths the mobo and short circuit happens. To avaoid it the mobo comes with some golden socket screws which are suppose to be placed on the chasis mobo area and the attach the mobo on these socket screws which will prevent it from earthing and every thing will run jus fine. Hope it helps
m
l
August 1, 2015 4:06:51 AM

8/1/2015
A few things to note on the ASUS m5a97 LE r2.0

Power Supply- 600w or Better ( 550w is Minimum)

Memory- If using multiple sticks, Install one ant a time, test for stability. Please read Pg 1-10 of the manual about memory

Video Card- (This had me scratching head for 2wks) Top slot is X16 / Bottom is x4. If card is in Top and rebooting is happening, Move to bottom. I don't understand why, you may be able (After BIOS Updates or something to move it back up, but at time of install, just go with it.

CD / DVD /HDD - Pay attention to Power

My Setup
Power supply 600w Generic
ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 + SB950 6 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W FD6300WMHKBOX Desktop Processor
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Memory Model F3-1600C9S-8GXM
Hp nVidia GeForce 9800GT 1GB Dual Dvi Vc
2 CD-DVD Drives
2-WD 500G HDD

Installing Win 8.1 As I'm typing this up.....(looking over) Yep, it's installing...

I hope this help someone out.

Rich
m
l
August 8, 2015 4:41:25 PM

I have problem with BIOS update 2603 (latest one). After update, I can't start Win7. I've tried to clear CMOS (moving jumpers as it was described in manual), but nothing happens! I've tried to remove battery (for more than 2 minutes). BUT ALSO NOTHING! After rebooting my BIOS version is still 2603!

What I'm doing wrong? Why I can't simply restore BIOS to the factory settings?
m
l
August 21, 2015 6:22:08 AM

@apropo: I have the same problem with this firmware. But, wait about 10 minutes and your pc will start normally. I'm searching for a solution for this also.

Greetings
Hollenthon
m
l
September 29, 2015 3:28:32 AM

apropro said:
I have problem with BIOS update 2603 (latest one). After update, I can't start Win7. I've tried to clear CMOS (moving jumpers as it was described in manual), but nothing happens! I've tried to remove battery (for more than 2 minutes). BUT ALSO NOTHING! After rebooting my BIOS version is still 2603!

What I'm doing wrong? Why I can't simply restore BIOS to the factory settings?

They somehow killed the last release version, but the beta before still works great! So try it...

BIOS download

The news were that they finally allow all 3 clocks (base clock and both Turbo clocks)!
Turbo CORE Ratio --> Turbo High Core Ratio
Turbo CORE1 Ratio --> Turbo Low Core Ratio
Set them carefully! But the beta works since then, zero problems.

m
l
December 12, 2015 4:12:03 PM

The problem arises when there is a problem with the bios settings, related to frequency of work of memory, CPU, and HT
Resolves rewriting bios computer is turned off and properly setting the working frequencies.
Insert only one memory module ram slot A2.
Important rename the files of 'latest BIOS as "M5A97R20.CAP" otherwise the file write returns an error viewing the diode LED always on.
If this problem occurs, turn off the computer, remove the 'power supply and wait for the LEDs on the card are completely extinguished.

Insert the USB key containing the renamed file, press the button for 3 seconds rewriting, wait for the 'operation is finished.
To restart to enter the bios, it is necessary to have patience. If the video is dark, press the test button of memories, wait a few seconds
and you will hear a beep. The computer will turn on but most likely the home screen will freeze.
Re-run the restart, immediately press Del or F2 keys.
Try again if it freezes the 'image, until you set the frequency manually, respecting the ratings Rams, for example 1600Mhz, 2000MHz fsb, PCIe 200 Mhz, etc.
Saved and the computer can not work properly until the next error lol³ :lol: 

If you do not solve the problem... If all else fails... Replace the CPU and everything starts to work properly.

m
l
February 3, 2016 2:58:03 PM

This may not seem to be the solution that you want or need I was having the same issue for over 5 month. I had no ideea what was going on, but I thought my HDDs might be the issue. I had gotten compatible RAM from the qualified vendor list. I had all "good parts" but I was still having the same issue that you are experiencing.

Si8nce I thought my HDDs were the might be part of the problem, I checked them. one's a 1 TB sshd and the other is a 4TB hdd, so I thought that might be too much for it, so I unplugged the 4TBG and it booted up fine. PCIe slot for vid card seemed fine, and everything else was cool.

I dont know about expanding storage on this. Might have to look into that or switch to a newer board, but that seemed to be it.
m
l
February 3, 2016 4:10:28 PM

What to say about it ... I had several problems with this motherboard, the last problem cost me a new CPU, but the problem occurred again

even after the replacement of the CPU fx 6300, by AMD Center, but in this case it is not burned, as also one other cpu fx8320.

It should be emphasized that it is never due to a memory or disk compatibility problem, that this problem occurs, when

these components comply with the nominal values ​​of voltage and timing, regardless of their brand or better to say, in the case in which the component

It does not appear in the list of supported brand models.

For example, if a memory works at 1.5V and times of 9-9-9-24 and is without logo, it must operate correctly in each case.

My problem has occurred before using vmware, then with an update of a build of Windows Dev 10.

The problem does not occur with the original version, but only with the developers version.

This problem occurred when the CPU is replaced by AMD and also with an FX 8320.

When the problem occurs "no boot, no video, no beep," in essence, the problem is the same as "the same defect and the same side" in my particular case, I think it is caused by a software problem, which undermines the hardware, particularly the CPU.

This problem is not verified using the same components mounted on a motherboard Asrock 980de R2.0, for example ...
m
l