Noise

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
April 1, 2005 12:41:58 AM

It is easy to decide on how many MP you want in a Camera and look at
those since they are all using that stat for advertising. I believe one
of the most important item in results is low noise.

Does any one know what Point and Shoots deliver low noise at 400 ISO?

While I heard that great results can be obtained from the Panasonic
FS20, it is poor on noise above ISO 100. In that case how can the
reviews be that favorable?

What we need is a noise measurement stat with each camera at various ISOs.

More about : noise

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 11:37:19 AM

> It is easy to decide on how many MP you want in a Camera and look at
> those since they are all using that stat for advertising. I believe one
> of the most important item in results is low noise.
>
> Does any one know what Point and Shoots deliver low noise at 400 ISO?

Canon 350D.

Seriously, it's about the same size and weight as the high-end P&S cameras.
With one of the cheaper Canon primes (28/2.8, 35/2, or 50/1.8) it's well
within the P&S size and weight category.

> While I heard that great results can be obtained from the Panasonic
> FS20, it is poor on noise above ISO 100. In that case how can the
> reviews be that favorable?

Beats me. Heck, I think the reviews are deluding themselves on the noise at
ISO 50.

The FZ10 was actually quite good at ISO 50, the FZ20 is noticeably worse.

> What we need is a noise measurement stat with each camera at various ISOs.

Dpreview gives that for some cameras, but they've been getting lazy of late,
and a lot of the P&S camera reviews are missing that.

What you can do is look at the ISO settings on the sample shots in the
samples galleries.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:56:59 PM

measekite wrote:
[]
> While I heard that great results can be obtained from the Panasonic
> FS20, it is poor on noise above ISO 100. In that case how can the
> reviews be that favorable?

Because in real-life, looking at real prints up to say 10 inches by 8
inches, or images at normal screen size, you can't really see the noise at
ISO 100. It's only when reviewers zoom in to 1:1 on a display (often the
equivalent of a print about 1 metre wide) that the noise becomes
objectionable.

There is also a fashion trend at the moment which says that /any/ noise is
bad noise, completely ignoring the dramatic impact that noise can add to
an image.

David
April 3, 2005 7:11:54 AM

DSLR have more weight and bulk. Just because the FZ20 is the largest of
the point and shoots that does not mean there are smaller. I want
something in the beginning that can produce stunning results, costs less
than $500 and has low noise at ISO 400.

David J. Littleboy wrote:

>>It is easy to decide on how many MP you want in a Camera and look at
>>those since they are all using that stat for advertising. I believe one
>>of the most important item in results is low noise.
>>
>>Does any one know what Point and Shoots deliver low noise at 400 ISO?
>>

>Canon 350D.
>
>Seriously, it's about the same size and weight as the high-end P&S cameras.
>With one of the cheaper Canon primes (28/2.8, 35/2, or 50/1.8) it's well
>within the P&S size and weight category.
>

>>While I heard that great results can be obtained from the Panasonic
>>FS20, it is poor on noise above ISO 100. In that case how can the
>>reviews be that favorable?
>>

>Beats me. Heck, I think the reviews are deluding themselves on the noise at
>ISO 50.
>
>The FZ10 was actually quite good at ISO 50, the FZ20 is noticeably worse.
>

>>What we need is a noise measurement stat with each camera at various ISOs.
>>

>Dpreview gives that for some cameras, but they've been getting lazy of late,
>and a lot of the P&S camera reviews are missing that.
>
>What you can do is look at the ISO settings on the sample shots in the
>samples galleries.
>
>David J. Littleboy
>Tokyo, Japan

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 7:14:28 AM

David J Taylor wrote:

>measekite wrote:
>[]
>

>>While I heard that great results can be obtained from the Panasonic
>>FS20, it is poor on noise above ISO 100. In that case how can the
>>reviews be that favorable?
>>

>Because in real-life, looking at real prints up to say 10 inches by 8
>inches, or images at normal screen size, you can't really see the noise at
>ISO 100. It's only when reviewers zoom in to 1:1 on a display (often the
>equivalent of a print about 1 metre wide) that the noise becomes
>objectionable.

I crop heavily. I want great depth of field. Therefore I am concerned
about noise at ISO400.

>There is also a fashion trend at the moment which says that /any/ noise is
>bad noise, completely ignoring the dramatic impact that noise can add to
>an image.
>
>David

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 1:48:54 PM

measekite wrote:
[]
> I crop heavily. I want great depth of field. Therefore I am
> concerned about noise at ISO400.

With the much smaller focal lengths of point-and-shoot cameras, you will
get a much greater depth of field without having to use a small aperture
(which I presume is why you mentioned ISO 400). Cropping heavily suggests
that you need to go for the highest number of pixels you can.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 5:03:22 PM

"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

> DSLR have more weight and bulk.

Have you handled the 350D yet? You'll be surprised at how compact and light
it is. (Yes, I realize its out of your budget.)

> Just because the FZ20 is the largest of
> the point and shoots that does not mean there are smaller. I want
> something in the beginning that can produce stunning results, costs less
> than $500 and has low noise at ISO 400.

The stunning results and under $500 are quite reasonable requirements. Shoot
at the lowest ISO, set the lens to f/5.6, use a sturdy tripod and any
quality dcam will do very well. The low noise at ISO 400 bit simply isn't
available in anything P&S nowadays. You might look at a used or refurbed
Canon G3 or Sony F717. FWIW, the F707 was a real pleasure to use, so I
recommend the F717 if you can find one. (Note that I'm a wimp and wouldn't
buy a used consumer dcam.)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong3/page16.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf717/page13.asp

Looking at the ISO 400 crop, I _think_ the G6 is worse than the G3. (The G5
was a disaster at ISO 200 and above; the G6 improved on the G5 quite
noticeably.)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong6/page14.asp

(The Sony V1, as I understand it, had pretty much the lowest ISO 400 noise
of any consumer dcam ever. The only problem was that it's "ISO 400" was a
bit of false advertising, and was actually more like ISO 320 or so.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan
!