Monitor goes to sleep and then turns on repeatedly

iTSinMW2

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Hello,
I have a problem.
My monitor goes to sleep and then turns on repeatedly. I turn the monitor off but then it turns on, goes to sleep, turns on, goes to sleep and keeps doing that. The only way i can stop it is if i unplug the monitor from its power source or if i keep it on.
HELP!

andy_in_kenya

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Hi!

Please carify -

- is the problem present when the PC is OFF or when it's ON or both?
- what happens if you turn your computer on? Does the screen act normally, or is it still cycling OFF/Windows screen?
- what happens if you disconnect the monitor from the PC and then turn it on? Stable on 'no signal' or sleep? or again cycling?

Best
Andy

iTSinMW2

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

When i put it on sleep mode and also when it is off

andy_in_kenya

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Sorry for the late reply; Some provider problem here in Africa...

Ok. This looks a bit like a problem with the power switching of the monitor. If it does that even when the PC is on and not in sleep mode check the push button on the monitor for being stuck halfway in by dirt or dust. If it is stable ON while you're working on the PC it looks more like a problem with power saving/sleep/on/off logic circuits, and probably the present signal from your PC overrides that circuit. In that case, well, you'd have to get it fixed in an electronics workshop or RMA it if still under warranty.

Hope this helps.
Best
Andy

iTSinMW2

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011

It has no dirt or dust so i guess that i have to get it to a workshop.. So why do you think this happened?

andy_in_kenya

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
That's very difficult to say without being able to have a look inside... ;)

Several possible causes:

- Component aging
- Premature component failure due to stress (ambient conditions/power conditions)
- Bad lot of components when the monitor was built
- Overall poor quality product?

What brand and model is your screen and how old is it?

iTSinMW2

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
I dont think that i said that it says power button lockout. I did the turning off the screen by holding the button for like 20 sec but then the power button lockout message comes right back. And it isn't very old.. I got it maybe 3 years ago