Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Possible Motherboard Issue

Last response: in Motherboards
September 22, 2012 9:10:27 PM

Hi everyone,

About two months ago, I bought and personally built a brand new computer for graduate school with the specs listed below:

Rosewill Stallion Series RD450-2-SB 450W ATX V2.2 Power Supply
Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I32120
ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
Patriot Viper Xtreme Series, Division 2 Edition 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
and I run Windows 7 on it.

I recently bought 2 more sticks of RAM (G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D) to help the performance of the computer for some of the code I was running on it (C++ and Matlab mostly). I installed the RAM in the computer by turning it off, unplugging everything and placing the two new RAM sticks in the slots where the older two were, and then moving the older two to the open slots. Once this was done, I replugged everything in... and the computer didn't boot. The lights and fans ran for about 5 seconds, then it would shut off for a few seconds and start again. I took out the new RAM, and now when the computer will turn on the fans will run but nothing will boot or appear on the monitor.

I had been running a lot of different codes on the computer, so I think it could be a bad CPU, but I do think its the motherboard. Is there a way I can tell between the two?

Just another detail, but for the last month, the time displayed in the lower right hand of the screen would keep resetting itself. I assumed this was because the Motherboard's battery was dead but didn't think it was a big deal. Could this have been a part of the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : motherboard issue

a c 137 V Motherboard
September 22, 2012 9:27:39 PM

Did you add the new RAM with the old RAM still installed? It sounds like you did, so that's why I'm asking.

If so, that's why it was having issues booting. The old RAM is faster than the new RAM, so the BIOS is trying to OC the new RAM, and it obviously doesn't like it.

Clear the CMOS, so you're back to factory defaults, and set the old RAM to the same speed, timings, and voltage as the new RAM. It's still not guaranteed to work, but it has a lot better chance than just putting the new RAM in without doing so will.

Even if you just want to use the new RAM by itself, you'll need to clear the CMOS because the BIOS will try to boot with the old RAM's settings.

That's why, if you ever want to add more RAM to your existing RAM, you should always buy RAM that has the exact same specs (preferably the same exact kit, period).
m
l
September 22, 2012 9:34:53 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Did you add the new RAM with the old RAM still installed? It sounds like you did, so that's why I'm asking.

If so, that's why it was having issues booting. The old RAM is faster than the new RAM, so the BIOS is trying to OC the new RAM, and it obviously doesn't like it.

Clear the CMOS, so you're back to factory defaults, and set the old RAM to the same speed, timings, and voltage as the new RAM. It's still not guaranteed to work, but it has a lot better chance than just putting the new RAM in without doing so will.

Even if you just want to use the new RAM by itself, you'll need to clear the CMOS because the BIOS will try to boot with the old RAM's settings.

That's why, if you ever want to add more RAM to your existing RAM, you should always buy RAM that has the exact same specs (preferably the same exact kit, period).

Thank you for the reply.

How do I clear the CMOS? When I turn on the computer, with the old RAM or the New, the monitor goes black and I don't get any response. I've tried every possible combo of RAM. Can I manually do it with the computer off?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 137 V Motherboard
September 22, 2012 9:42:20 PM

drchops said:
Thank you for the reply.

How do I clear the CMOS? When I turn on the computer, with the old RAM or the New, the monitor goes black and I don't get any response. I've tried every possible combo of RAM. Can I manually do it with the computer off?

You do it with a jumper on the motherboard. You don't want any power connected to it at all to do it. Completely unplugged.

Short pins 2 and 3 with a jumper here:

September 22, 2012 10:08:23 PM

Best answer selected by DrChops.
m
l
a c 137 V Motherboard
September 22, 2012 10:09:23 PM

You're welcome. :) 
m
l
September 22, 2012 10:09:36 PM

Awesome. Thank you DJDeCiBel! I finally got it working. Thanks!
m
l
!