Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Graphics card confusion....

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 12, 2011 8:34:19 AM

Hi Guys,
I hav a gigabyte ga-ma78gm-s2h motherboard with PCI Express 2.0(PCIE x16) slot(I bought it 3 years ago).Now I want to buy a graphics card for it.
My specs-
Amd authlon x2 dual core processor (6000+, ~3GHz)
4gb ddr2 ram
450 watt smps
my m-board has a ati hd 3200(256 mb) inbuilt graphics

I hav consulted with my brother & two card dealers. they said....
1) my board supports only ddr2 graphics cards, ddr3 & ddr5 cards may fit in my board but they will overheat my motherboard. if i use ddr2 ram, i need to buy a ddr2 card.
2) my board supports ddr2, ddr3 & also ddr5 cards. it has nothing to do with the ddr memory. if the card supports PCIE 2.0 then it will work fine on my board.
3) my board will give great performance if i buy ati graphics cards, if i buy nvidia cards then it will not give great or its best performence & i may face many graphical problems...

Man I am totally confused.......
pls help me out guys...........
Thanx in advance.......
July 12, 2011 9:16:47 AM

1) It depends what your mobo can support. if it supports 2.0 pcie then any card with the pcie2.0 will work no matter the ram. that being said you can bottleneck your card if you go to high. seeing as your cpu is on the lower/mid end i wouldn't think high end gpu
2)Ati tend to use less power, nvidia seem to run better in most games do to high direct x but run hotter.
3)make sure your power supply can handle the card you throw at it
4)
m
0
l
July 12, 2011 10:09:09 AM

jason gran said:
1) It depends what your mobo can support. if it supports 2.0 pcie then any card with the pcie2.0 will work no matter the ram. that being said you can bottleneck your card if you go to high. seeing as your cpu is on the lower/mid end i wouldn't think high end gpu
2)Ati tend to use less power, nvidia seem to run better in most games do to high direct x but run hotter.
3)make sure your power supply can handle the card you throw at it
4)


Thanx for the reply.......
so you are saying i can buy ddr5 graphics cards... right??

i can buy ati or nvidia whatever i want..??

nvidia runs hotter but does it cause any damage to my m-board by overheating it??

pls reply...........
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2011 10:35:57 AM

Any pci express based video card will work regardless of memory being DDR2 or DDR3 or DDR5. All you need to make sure is if your power supply will power it adequately. As for getting hot, it depends on the video card and cooling solution installed on it. Nvidia cards being more hotter or power hungry is not true. It depends on the specific card. How much is your budget? What is your playing resolution (or monitor resolution)? Which games do you play or wish to play?
m
0
l
July 12, 2011 10:43:53 AM

Emperus said:
Any pci express based video card will work regardless of memory being DDR2 or DDR3 or DDR5. All you need to make sure is if your power supply will power it adequately. As for getting hot, it depends on the video card and cooling solution installed on it. Nvidia cards being more hotter or power hungry is not true. It depends on the specific card. How much is your budget? What is your playing resolution (or monitor resolution)? Which games do you play or wish to play?


thanks for the reply....
my budget is $100(usd),
not sure about resolution, i hav a 17'' samsung crt moniter,
i want to play high graphics games like just cause 2, batman arkaham asylum, gta 4 eflc etc.....
pls reply.....
m
0
l
July 12, 2011 10:56:28 AM

yes what emperus said. as long as its 2.0 express your fine. when i said they tend to run hotter its not by much..and it depends on the card. performance/performance ati run the same or slightly cooler however their are more nvidia made games. It will do no damage to your computer just req a few more watts nothing to worry about.

ati/nvidia is your choice. find cards around the same performance/in your price range and compare.

A quick search and your budget revolves around gts 450, 5670, 5750(little more)

gts 450
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500187-$104. after rebate: $74.99

5750
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150448-$114.99

5670
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102920-$99. After rebate: $84.99

Pass mark scores. higher the better. gives you an idea.
pass mark 5750------------- 1497
pass mark gts 450 ----------1442
pass mark 5670------------- 1224
m
0
l
July 12, 2011 11:27:48 AM

In my m-board specs i got this line --

"Please use ATI Hybrid CrossFireX certified DX10.1 VGA card (i.e., ATI Radeon HD 3400 series etc....."

What does it mean??
pls reply.......
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2011 1:39:46 PM

Pretty much any new age video card is good enough for you currently while gaming on a 17" screen. Having said that, you can safely choose any of the video cards mentioned above by Jason. They are all nice. If I have to give a recommendation then i'll mention the HD 6770 in addition to Jason's list.

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681410294...

And don't bother with the Hybrid CrossfireX thingy. It has little to no improvements.
m
0
l
July 12, 2011 6:00:10 PM

Emperus said:
Pretty much any new age video card is good enough for you currently while gaming on a 17" screen. Having said that, you can safely choose any of the video cards mentioned above by Jason. They are all nice. If I have to give a recommendation then i'll mention the HD 6770 in addition to Jason's list.

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681410294...

And don't bother with the Hybrid CrossfireX thingy. It has little to no improvements.


does ati radeon cards 3d vision ready like nvidia??
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
July 12, 2011 8:25:54 PM

No they are not. They instead have Eyfinity feature which enables three monitors usable via a single card i.e. high resolution display stretching. Google up for more information/clarification.
m
0
l
July 12, 2011 8:49:32 PM

Emperus said:
Pretty much any new age video card is good enough for you currently while gaming on a 17" screen. Having said that, you can safely choose any of the video cards mentioned above by Jason. They are all nice. If I have to give a recommendation then i'll mention the HD 6770 in addition to Jason's list.

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681410294...

And don't bother with the Hybrid CrossfireX thingy. It has little to no improvements.



How the hell did i miss that card. blaming that on jager. on a side note. trex if you can afford the $124 and wait for the rebate making the card just under $99 get that 1
m
0
l
!