Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HELP! how to know if psu can handle video card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 12, 2011 8:37:34 AM

i just bought a palit gt430 video card and it works fine for 3 weeks.. but then my computer started to crash and auto restarts, inm also getting error message "a hyper transport sync flood error occured on last boot"... i dont know whats wrong.. until i decided to removed the video card and it worked fine..

can someone like the "masters" tell me whats wrong.. is it because of my PSU cannot handle the video card? do i need a new PSU?

help pls.. i want to use my new video card. thanks in advance..

anyway here's my pc specs

AMD ATHLON II X2 250
EMAXX AMDD880HD3-PRO
2GB DDR3 KINGSTON RAM (x2)
PALIT GT 430 (but im currently using onboard video) :( 
and i have a generic PSU that came with the chassis "TECHWILL p4-650W"

More about : psu handle video card

July 12, 2011 8:57:03 AM

UP!
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2011 3:53:55 PM

That PSU only claims a MAX of 32 amps on the 12V rail..and Techwill is NOT considered as a reputable maker of PSUs. It is possible that the PSU is your problem. I would replace it with even a 500 watt PSU from Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, PCP&C, or Enermax.
Score
Related resources
July 13, 2011 4:21:38 AM

thank you! so it is the PSU and not my video card..
there are things that i dont understand on PSU, like these numbers " MAX of 32 amps on the 12V rail "

so is it ok for me to remove my DVD-RW and put the video card back? will it work? thanks clarkjd
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2011 12:21:44 PM

edron said:
thank you! so it is the PSU and not my video card..
there are things that i dont understand on PSU, like these numbers " MAX of 32 amps on the 12V rail "

so is it ok for me to remove my DVD-RW and put the video card back? will it work? thanks clarkjd

That means that the most current that your PSU can supply before shutdown is 32 amps. Since most of the components of your PC are powered from the +12 volt rail, it is likely that you are trying to draw more current than the PSU can supply. Compared to video cards, DVD-RW use very little power, and then only when burning a DVD or CD. I don't think that removing the DVD-RW will free up enough power to let the video card run correctly. It might work for web browsing, and such, but not for gaming.
Score
July 17, 2011 1:06:13 PM

clarkjd thank you very much.. now i know the basic...
and yes, i bought a branded psu.. all is working fine now. :) 
Score
!