Can I transfer unalocated space to my C drive ?

Lars Aronsson

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
My hardisk has 500 GB, out of which the C drive has 100 GB. The D drive used to have 350 GB NTFS but I "reduced" that to 200 GB and the 150 GB I reduced, now show up (in windows disc managemant) as " unallocated" (without showing the NTFS next to it). I'am almost full on my C drive. Is there some way I can " transfer" the 150 unallocated GB to be part of the C drive? (If I click on the C drive, the option " extend" does not show up as an valid option). I'm a poor mortal with computers, so if you could please give some very simple ( "step by step" ( idiot proof) suggestion how to do it I'd be most greatful. If it's possible to do within "windows" (without having to buy/download additional programs that would be great)
Thanks you so much in advance.
Lars

Hi, yes you can. I used Partition Magic for that years ago, but not recently. Here is a list of programs that might help, I don't know if any are free:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disk_partitioning_software

The free approach is a little more risky. Backup everything to an external USB attached disk using windows backup. Resize the partitions. Restore. Double check that windows restore works when you are restoring to a different/larger partition. IMO partition magic was cheap/easy (but that was years ago)

TRENDING THREADS