Crossfire question

testctv

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Hi

I recently upgraded my machine with 8GB RAM, a new Sandy Bridge Core i7 CPU and an Asus Sabertooth P67 motherboard.

The motherboard uses Intel's P67 chipset which does support AMD/ATI Crossfire but only in 2X 8 lane configuration per card instead of 2X full 16 lanes per card.

I already have an ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB running on it's own and I just ordered another identical one today.

I know I cannot double the figures and that the game support and profile has to be active/working.

Would this 8 lane per card restriction hinder my performance severely or will it be able to work perform better than having one card at least?

Thanks

G

I'm pretty sure that if your motherboard has cfx support that it will run much better then on card. That 8 lane per card thing is on one card, when you have two cards it will still be much better. That 8 lane is probably for stability, Don't worry is what i need to say

Theirs hardly any performance loss when running at x8 speeds(About 5 FPS on average) compared to x16 speeds.You should see a drastic increase in performance from adding a 2nd card.In fact you should see a huge improvement even if they were running at x4 speeds.
Just make sure you have the PSU to power it all.

What is the make/model of your psu?

testctv

Distinguished
May 5, 2010

I have a 600W Omega MegaPower Modular PSU. I am planning on getting a CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 800W.

I purchased the card since its close to EOL and I got it for a good price. Theoretically I may just barely get away with my current PSU and if it does not work I understand why.

I just have to save up another month for a new PSU.

testctv

Distinguished
May 5, 2010

I know most mobo's do 1X 16 or 2X 8 lanes. My previous X48 based board did however do 2X 16 lanes.

But as you all said it should be ok on the new board.

testctv

Distinguished
May 5, 2010

And what about a Corsair GS700 Gaming Series 700W? Any good?

Well, the total system power draw with x2 5870's is around 556watts.It's possible your PSU can deliever around 580 watts and then it would be fine,although it's not reccomended to run the PSU at/near it's max for a long period of time.

The Corsair GS700 is not actually a very good PSU.It's on the lower end of the high end PSU's from Corsair,mostly a cheap model.I would reccomend going with this PSU.It's fully modular.

CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 $140=$120 after MIR + Free Shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139010

testctv

Distinguished
May 5, 2010

And what about the CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 800W modular?

The Corsair HX750 has almost the same efficiency as the CoolerMaster one but for cheaper.But if your paying upwards of $150 for a PSU I wouldn't go with CoolerMaster,imo.

I think the 750watt Corsair is a good PSU and a great deal.It has power for even a triple 5870 crossfire.It's priced usually at $170 but its on sale for $140 with a $20 MIR and free shipping.I'd take that deal anyday.

testctv

Distinguished
May 5, 2010

The thing is that I live in South Africa so we always en up paying more than what you guys can get it from say Newegg etc. The importers/distributors sell to resellers, who in turn resell to us the general public at inflated prices.

On my side there is like a $7 difference between the CM and Corsair.

But I still do keep your recommendations into consideration.