Power cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbseven

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
Hello,
I just installed a cpu cooler but now the computer power cycles on boot- the fans switch on for a second, then switch off, then the process repeats. The cooler installation went flawlessly, the only thing i can think of that might be an issue is the front panel connectors. ive tried reversing the polarity of the power switch connector to no avail. Any suggestions?

Solution
Take the HSF off and remove the CPU. Than remove the thermal paste from the CPU and HSF. Re-apply the thermal paste properly by watching this video and be sure to properly install the HSF. If it's a spring loaded push-pin design... tighten the screws in a criss-cross manner to prevent any air-bubbles and the CPU socket from cracking. Plug the 3/4-pin fan power connector the way it was designed to be plugged in. This should solve all of your issues.

Edit: Also you don't need the expensive thermal-paste remover. Good old rubbing alcohol will do the trick. Just try to get at least 70% (I myself use 93% because I do alot of upgrades for people but has a very strong oder).

Centora

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Take the HSF off and remove the CPU. Than remove the thermal paste from the CPU and HSF. Re-apply the thermal paste properly by watching this video and be sure to properly install the HSF. If it's a spring loaded push-pin design... tighten the screws in a criss-cross manner to prevent any air-bubbles and the CPU socket from cracking. Plug the 3/4-pin fan power connector the way it was designed to be plugged in. This should solve all of your issues.

Edit: Also you don't need the expensive thermal-paste remover. Good old rubbing alcohol will do the trick. Just try to get at least 70% (I myself use 93% because I do alot of upgrades for people but has a very strong oder).

Solution

jbseven

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011

Believe me this is not my first cpu cooler- which is why i was stumped as to why it wouldnt work when everything went swimmingly.

Turns out the motherboard died on me. Which is puzzling as i made sure i was grounded while handling the parts. the only thing i can think of that caused it was the warning in the hsf manual about the o rings (shims) putting stress on the board.

Anyway since i got it replaced im happy. thanks for the advice though.

My system specs:

i5 2500k
Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3
8GB Gskill Ripjaws 1333Mhz
850w Corsair TX850
Coolermaster HAF-932

Status
Not open for further replies.