Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard screws

Last response: in Motherboards
September 23, 2012 12:06:25 AM

I am installing an asrock extreme4 z77 in a coolest master haf 912. The motherboard has 9 screw slots but only 6 of them line up with the case. Do I need to get a case where they all line up or does it matter? The 3 screws ( that line up vertically) on the right side of the motherboard don't line up with the case.

More about : motherboard screws

September 23, 2012 12:10:58 AM

capitathing said:
I am installing an asrock extreme4 z77 in a coolest master haf 912. The motherboard has 9 screw slots but only 6 of them line up with the case. Do I need to get a case where they all line up or does it matter? The 3 screws ( that line up vertically) on the right side of the motherboard don't line up with the case.

Correction- There are only 2 slots on the right side (top and bottom) and they are dont have the metal ring around the edge of the slot
m
l
Related resources
a c 249 V Motherboard
September 23, 2012 2:19:58 AM

I am surprised that your case does not have the full complement of screw mounting holes. It is an ATX standard.

But, so long as you have sufficient mounts to keep the motherboard elevated off of the case, and the motherboard is reasonably well secured, and does not bend much, you don't need every screw.
m
l
a c 450 V Motherboard
September 23, 2012 3:20:29 AM

Your board only requires 7 mounting screws (2 columns). The small holes you see at the far right of the board are not intended for screws.
Sometimes I use these plastic standoffs in those extra holes when I build if the board feels floppy when I insert memory sticks.
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-Plastic-Motherboard-Stan...
m
l
!