My graphics card is taking up too much RAM. How do I fix it?

nanzer

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
I own an Intel iMac, 21.5", Late 2009. I have the standard 4GB of RAM, and the stock nVidia GeForce 9400M. It's supposed to take 256MB as shared RAM, but it has taken up 1.3GB and turned my RAM in Windows Vista Business 32-bit into just 2.7GB! That's about the bare minimum for Windows Vista, and I am just wondering if there is any way to fix it. I am planning to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit soon, and if a fresh install is required to fix it, I am already planning that, so if someone could help me out, I would be glad.
Thanks in advance.

You're 32-bit Windows installation can recognize a maximum of 4GB in theory, though with Windows 32-bit OSs it generally only shows 3-3.25GB total available due to how it allocates memory. So, this is consistent with what your showing if Windows 32-bit only shows 3 total available and your video is using 256MB leaving you with 2.7GB available.

Once you install the Windows 7 64-bit OS, you should see an increase in available memory. You will have to do a fresh install moving from the 32-bit to the 64-bit OS.

nanzer

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Thanks ubercake! But, their is no way to change it directly? I guessed as much because of the BIOS emulation by EFI, which is not accessible as compared to OpenFirmware :(