todzal

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I'm currently scoping out a good CPU/MOBO combo. Right now I have a Phenom II X4 940 with an Asus M3N72-D Mobo and when I go into bios to overclock the highest Multiplier I can get is x15. It won't allow me to go any higher and the only way for me to overclock is to raise the reference clock and doing that makes the system very unstable. I'm curious if (a) there is an option for my setup that will allow me to get more out of my processor or (b) what characteristic of the MOBO allows for the overclocking of the processor? I want to make sure if my setup can't be overclocked that the next one I get can. Any help is appreciated.

todzal

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I think the CPU is rated for voltage no higher than 1.45v. I'm at 1.41 right now. Are you saying I should up the voltage more and then it will unlock the higher multipliers? As of right now I'm at 1.41v with x15 but there is multipliers that are higher just won't go above x15.

What I'm saying is that when you raise the multipliers and the computer won't run the thing to do is add some voltage to help with the raising of the multipliers and make it stable then you may be able to raise the multiplier some more but you'll have to keep an eye on the voltage so it doesn't go over the 1.45v.

todzal

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Well in my Bios it has a listing all the way to like 22x but If I put it on anything over 15x it still stays at 15x. My initial question is still here.
{I'm curious if (a) there is an option for my setup that will allow me to get more out of my processor or (b) what characteristic of the MOBO allows for the overclocking of the processor? I want to make sure if my setup can't be overclocked that the next one I get can. Any help is appreciated. }

When you have a motherboard and you install a cpu into it that is on the compatability list then that motherboards bios will recognize the cpu and activate the features and settings that the cpu is allowed to use. So if the multiplier on the cpu will only go to 15x then that motherboard will allow up to 15x and by there being 22x on the right it means that if another cpu was installed and that cpu allowed up to 20x then the motherboard will go to 20x. The 22x that you see is the top multiplier that motherboard can do and you need a cpu that will go to 22x.
So if you are going to upgrade then you'll be looking at a Phenom 11 x4 965 of 955 and with that cpu and a new MB you will be able to go to a higher overclock and a higher multiplier. However you may want to wait a bit for the new cpu coming out from AMD called Piledriver.
Also since you are looking to upgrade you may want to switch to Intel and get a better cpu especialy for gaming.

todzal

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Ok well here is another question: If my CPU can only goto 15x and while it's at 15x it runs at the normal 3.0 Ghz then my cpu can't be over clocked can it?