First System, Question about GTX 570

Dietlightsaber

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Hi everyone, first time poster here.

I'm building my first desktop system from scratch with the help of my buddy. It's going to be primarily for gaming. I bought everything off of Newegg last week. The graphics card I decided to go with was the EVGA GTX 570.
This is the link of the card that I bought:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814130593

As I was browsing today I saw a listing for the same card OC'd that is 10 dollars less.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] llFullInfo

I guess my question is, can I OC the card that I have coming in 2 days comparable to what the factory OC'd version is? I've read through reviews on both and the first seems to be stable and perfect out of the box. For the OC'd version it seems like a lot of the people have issues with the graphics card being OC'd but still having some stock settings for like the voltage and such, and then having to adjust that stuff anyway. I'm not too concerned with the 10 dollar price difference but I am concerned whether or not I can get my card to the OC'd specs that the Factory OC'd one has. I'm pretty sure I can return the card I have coming and then buy the OC'd one but that would set me back from building my desktop which I want to use now. My laptop just crapped out on me 2 weeks ago so I've been waiting imo too long to get this desktop. So the most convenient thing for me at the moment would be to just use the card I have that will arrive with everything else and OC it later. I really dont want to return/get OC'd card but I will if its better and I can't achieve same OC by myself.

System specs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.728860

i5 2500k
Asus P8P67 mobo
Corsair vengeance 4GB (2x2GB) 1600 DDR3
Raidmax hybrid 630W PSU
Raidmax Helios case
Seagate 1TB HD
GTX 570 *regular :(*

Thank you for taking the time to read/reply.

holdingholder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I've never been a fan of company's charging extra money for factory overclocks. In my opinion, always go for the cheaper standard clocked card, download MSI Afterburner, and overclock at your own whim and fancy, easy as can be.

Dietlightsaber

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post holdingholder and dish_moose. Ya I think ima just keep the card I have now and try to OC it. My buddy was telling me about MSI Afterburner and I hopefully can get it to work stable. Cooling shouldn't be much of an issue. My tower has 4 fans pre-installed and im getting a side one. Thanks again and have a good day guys.

That PSU will explode if you use it with that build. What on earth made you think to get a Radimax PSU, they do not produce their rated power.... well they do, but only for a split second in a ball of flames. Please do your research on power supplies or you will end up with a dead psu and it may destroy other components. Why spend all that money on a good system, and so little on a crappy PSU?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

Although it probably wont "explode". The above is correct.

Running such a high-end GPU you really DO NOT want to skimp out on a PSU. A single GTX570 should be using a 650w unit and generally something of good quality 80PLUS Bronze or better is recommended. Brands to consider include: Corsair, XFX, SeaSonic, Enermax, Antec.

Going cheap on the 1 component that can potentially take out every other component, not a good idea :O

Dietlightsaber

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Hello iam2thecrowe, Ah the build that I got was a do it yourself combo from newegg, that was the power supply that was in the combo and I read some of the reviews and it seemed fine for other people running it with the same processor. I Didn't think it was that terrible. My buddy that is helping me build it put what I was going to run in a power calculator and determined that the usage I would have, even with 20% capacitor aging was 578 W. So I figured since this PSU I have is greater than what the calculator said it would be fine. Thanks for bringing this to my attention though. If it really is going to crap out on me I'll look into a different psu. Will it work fine without blowing up then in the week or so i'd use it till I get another?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
When you look for a new PSU make sure you look for the 80PLUS efficiency rating.

A cheap 500w PSU might only deliver say 60% of its actual wattage meaning only 300w. 80PLUS rating shows that it will always deliver at absolute minimum 80% of its wattage so 500w would never deliver less than 400w

Dietlightsaber

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

Good info to look out for, thanks for reading/responding Mr. AdrianPerry. Just fyi though, the powersupply I have is rated at 85% efficiency. Is it really not going to work :(

you must not have read the review of the guy that tried to run it with a gtx570 and it failed. About 40% of the reviews were negative. If you discount all the people only running the PSU on low end systems which don't count as your build is high end/high power requirement, then 90% of the reviews are negative. You really think a $40 600w PSU is going to be as good as a $90 600w psu???? Its like buying a KIA over a Subaru, and expecting the build quality to be the same, and both cars to last as long......... you get what you pay for.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
The efficiency of the PSU you have says UP TO 85%. Which means at say 10% load, it could be 85% efficient, but at 60-70% load (where most high end builds fall in terms of power consumption) the efficiency could be much lower.

There's nothing wrong with running the PSU you have, its just advisable that if you spend big money on good components, pay for a quality PSU to go with it to avoid any potential mishaps.

Dietlightsaber

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

I appreciate the advice good sir. Thank you for taking the time to read/reply to my post. I was browsing through the different brands you advised earlier in one of your posts, do you have a suggestion for the amount of power Wattage I need?

Again running:

I5 core 1500K
Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 MOBO
4 gigs (2x2 G) Corsair vengeance memory DDR3 1600
2x Seagate Barracuda 1Tb 7200rpm storage Raid-0 config
24x lite-on dvd writer/reader
Coolermaster 212 plus heatsink
Case is running 5 fans, 3 with leds 120mm all

Again thank you for your time.

Dietlightsaber

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011

I see your point and it is well taken good sir. I just want to say I am thankful that you took the time to read/reply to my post and offer your suggestions to help me fix/improve my build. As I mentioned in the OP this is the first time i've ever built a system from scratch, I've always had pre-made ready towers bought from stores or dell. I saw the do it yourself combo on newegg and thought it was sufficient. It had everything I was looking for, just a psu not up to snuff for the gpu I bought. I mean I wasn't looking to skimp on the psu really, but this build had a nice looking tower that I wanted and all the other components in the combo that I was aiming for so I went for it. I shoulda done my hw a bit better but I also didn't want that combo to expire so it was a spur of the moment type of buy. I'll learn from this mistake in my future builds. Again thank you so much for your time and expertise, I'll be looking for a sufficient power supply now. Do you have a suggestion for the amount of Watts I would need?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
650w is plenty for a single GTX570. Just make sure the PSU is actually outputting somewhere near that figure (80PLUS rating of Bronze or higher).

Recommended Brands include: Corsair, XFX, SeaSonic, Antec and some OCZ PSU's.

ALWAYS look at reviews before buying. Modular PSU is recommended - but not required.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207014

:non:

It shows that the power supply is capable of maintaining 80% ( or higher ) efficiency, between 20 and 100% load.
It shows that 80% ( or more ) of the AC drawn from the wall will be converted to DC power for your components.
It shows that an 80+ rated, 500 watt psu would require 625 watts from the wall ( AC ) in order to output full DC power .
Here's an example
http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/psu_reports/Antec_EA-500_500W_80PLUS_Report.pdf

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

Sorry yeah my example was pretty poor, but was based on 100% load so drawing 500w from the wall and delivering 400

Dietlightsaber

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Just wanted to say that I used the psu I had and it works perfectly fine. Ran heaven's benchmark 5 times in a row and had 0 problems. I will invest in a better psu soon, but this thing I lucked out on and works great.