Tearing my hair out trying to get this hd 6850 working

Status
Not open for further replies.

geedee

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Hello,
Im trying to install a single saphire hd 6850 1gb gddr 5 graphics card onto my new asus M4A89gtd pro/usb3 mother board im running windows 7 64bit with 4gb or ram it works fine on internal graphics but i just cant figure out how to run off the single hd 6850 card .board has a switching card installed in first pcie slot that runs the second pcie card slot at 16 or i can install to gcard running on 8 if i remove the switch which i confusing enough have 1000 wat atx psu i only get a blank screen when plugging into the graphics card i dont want to run in hybrid x or cross fire just off that one card i was up til 4 am and been at it all day just cant figure out why i cant get it runninng oh for the old days when you just plugged it in and hey presto it worked all components are brand new

Solution

The easiest thing is to get a replacement, pop it in and go.

geedee

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
yes have the switch in the grey slot the 6850 in the blue nothing tried disabling the onboard hd 4 whatever the hell it is still nothing set the bios to pci >gfx0>gpp>igfx disabled onboard graphics the hd 4 tried unistalling it as well still nothing fans spinning on the gpu board nothing but blank screen unless plugging into on board graphics comp post well i can hear it post and load but blank screen

geedee

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011

im wondering if it is something to do with chapter 5 of the mobo manual which says when adding a single graphics card to enable crossfire except there isnt an option to enable crossfire

geedee

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
hmmm cross fire is enabled automaticaly which may be the problem? since wondering if it will run off one card the hd 6850 or will it try to cross fire in a hybid x and becuase of the difference stop the hd6850 from working ?????? if thats the case i will have to send the card back and get two crossfire cards and run them on 8x or i could wait and check to see if this card runs on someone elses comp only problem is friend has an xfx mother board dont know if it will run a ati card

geedee

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011

thanks for all the help i did what you suggested except when i blank screened again instead of resetting the bios i did a little crafty trip and stole my brothers gpu its only a hd 6 series but i plugged that in turned it on worked fine reset the graphics adapter to onboard and went and took it back so im guessing since that card worked the hd 6850 is broken ?

You might initially assume so since his worked in the same slot, but now I wonder what kind of power supply you have and if the 6850s higher power requirement might exceed the limitations of the supply?

What is the make/model of your power supply?

geedee

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
so do i get a refund and run a crossfire setup card cost £134.54 or just get a replacement if indeed the card is broken since that other lesser card worked ???

geedee

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011

I cant remember the make and model its a few years old stripped it out of my old comp i got from my brother at one time he was using it to run a 9800gx2 if i remember right

geedee

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011

Hey Ubber I got my replacement Do you know if there are any bad cards floating around ???? the card i got as a replacement was different from the one i returned .The one i returned had two 6 pci pwr Slots on top of the card this only had one on the rear of the card im sure i spotted another post from a guy using the two power slot card having problems with it and it not working wondering if it should just have one slot or its and old board reused for new card maybe worth looking out for .Oh and after i disabled my on board graphics i got a reply from my board maker saying no i did not have to disable it lol.

That's pretty suspicious regarding the power connection. With the 6850 you should see only one 6-pin. Even this MSI OC'd to a core clock of 860MHz only uses one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127566

I would say you did get a bad one.

Status
Not open for further replies.