CPU i7 2600 VS CPU i5 2500 plus OCZ Vertex 2(E Version) 60GB SSD?

henry81

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Hello everyone,
Which is the better option for CPU i7 2600 VS CPU i5 2500 plus OCZ Vertex 2(E Version) 60GB SSD? What do you think about the 2 options? Do you have any comment about that?

Thank you.

Henry

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
It depends what you will be using the system for, but in almost all cases, take the SSD combination.

The i7-2600k will only really show its worth if your using applications that make extensive use of HYPER-THREADING. Games do NOT make use of this technology "yet".

If your looking for an all-rounder build that will perform well across the board, the i5-2500k is certainly the processor of choice. And the SSD will just add to that performance with quicker start up and shut-down times and faster loading applications.

Get the second one, 2500K+SSD = more fun in real life. If u never had an SSD, it will knock your socks off.

I have one Vertex2 about 2 years ago, everything loads instant, except the large programs like CS5 and such.

I had Velociraptor, SSD shame that HDD. I can hardly see busy circle. Close 150tabs in chrome is instant.

U gonna enjoy it : )

henry81

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Thank you so much for your help.
Because I just need the speed of the computer for structural calculation design, 3D drawings and some games.
I really don't want to overclock the CPU because I think the speed of i5 2500 the same as i5 2500K without overclocking. So I prefer the i5 2500.
Also, because I live in Australia, so the price of parts here is a little more expensive than its in USA.
Thanks again.
Henry

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
For structural calculation and 3D design, you might benefit more from the quicker rendering and encoding of the i7-2600. Id wait to get a little more advice on this from someone who has experience with these programs before you make a decision.

In terms of games, the i5 will perform exactly the same as the i7 however.

I hear u, but its a compromise. If u will use it for structural calculation design and 3D drawings, the 2600 would be a better choice.

I can see that u are on the budget and if u will not OC, than 2500+SSD would look more justifiable. Considering the tight budget.

In any way it will be an improvement over what u have!

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Let me just throw some information in about over-clocking and CPU's.

There's quite a few users I see on this forum who say they wont over-clock the CPU, now for some this is simply because they just don't feel like they need to, or don't want to. However the majority say they wont be over-clocking because they don't actually know how to do it.

If your a user who won't be over-clocking due to lack of knowledge, keep reading :) If not just ignore the rest of my post.

Most, P67 and Z68 motherboards (socket 1155) will come with built in, over-clocking software. This require's zero knowledge at all of how to over-clock or anything involved. ASUS especially comes with a great AI Suite that's very easy to use, has a nice simple GUI and a big red button that says "OVER-CLOCK MY CPU". From personal experience of this, my motherboard over-clocked my i5-2500k right up to 4.5GHz (using a budget after-market cooler). That showed almost 35% performance increase on the stock speeds. Even with the stock cooler your looking at 4GHz or so.

Now lets look at the costs, in the UK at least:
i5-2500 - £162
i5-2500k - £174

For £12 difference, is it really worth missing out on an opportunity for 30%+ extra juice from the same CPU?

The only reason I can see to justify not wanting to spend that little extra would be if you planned to use a H61 motherboard that's really budget based. H61 boards can go for as little as £45, where-as Z68 boards are closer to £75 for a budget one.

Bottom line really is, don't dismiss over-clocking purely based on that your unaware of how to go about doing it. There's plenty of walk-through guides showing how to over-clock i5-2500k's manually, or as written above, use the motherboards features.

Just my thoughts anyway :)