Sign in with
Your question

CPU i7 2600 VS CPU i5 2500 plus OCZ Vertex 2(E Version) 60GB SSD?

Last response: in CPUs
December 13, 2011 8:45:26 AM

Hello everyone,
Which is the better option for CPU i7 2600 VS CPU i5 2500 plus OCZ Vertex 2(E Version) 60GB SSD? What do you think about the 2 options? Do you have any comment about that?

Thank you.

Henry
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2011 8:49:18 AM

It depends what you will be using the system for, but in almost all cases, take the SSD combination.

The i7-2600k will only really show its worth if your using applications that make extensive use of HYPER-THREADING. Games do NOT make use of this technology "yet".

If your looking for an all-rounder build that will perform well across the board, the i5-2500k is certainly the processor of choice. And the SSD will just add to that performance with quicker start up and shut-down times and faster loading applications.
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2011 8:55:39 AM

Get the second one, 2500K+SSD = more fun in real life. If u never had an SSD, it will knock your socks off.

I have one Vertex2 about 2 years ago, everything loads instant, except the large programs like CS5 and such.

I had Velociraptor, SSD shame that HDD. I can hardly see busy circle. Close 150tabs in chrome is instant.

U gonna enjoy it : )
Related resources
December 13, 2011 9:13:40 AM

Thank you so much for your help.
Because I just need the speed of the computer for structural calculation design, 3D drawings and some games.
I really don't want to overclock the CPU because I think the speed of i5 2500 the same as i5 2500K without overclocking. So I prefer the i5 2500.
Also, because I live in Australia, so the price of parts here is a little more expensive than its in USA.
Thanks again.
Henry
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2011 9:19:08 AM

For structural calculation and 3D design, you might benefit more from the quicker rendering and encoding of the i7-2600. Id wait to get a little more advice on this from someone who has experience with these programs before you make a decision.

In terms of games, the i5 will perform exactly the same as the i7 however.
December 13, 2011 9:24:12 AM

Thanks Adrian & Nikorr so much.
I welcome more advices from everyone.
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2011 10:03:32 AM

henry81 said:
Thank you so much for your help.
Because I just need the speed of the computer for structural calculation design, 3D drawings and some games.
I really don't want to overclock the CPU because I think the speed of i5 2500 the same as i5 2500K without overclocking. So I prefer the i5 2500.
Also, because I live in Australia, so the price of parts here is a little more expensive than its in USA.
Thanks again.
Henry

I hear u, but its a compromise. If u will use it for structural calculation design and 3D drawings, the 2600 would be a better choice.

I can see that u are on the budget and if u will not OC, than 2500+SSD would look more justifiable. Considering the tight budget.

In any way it will be an improvement over what u have!
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2011 11:50:57 AM

Let me just throw some information in about over-clocking and CPU's.

There's quite a few users I see on this forum who say they wont over-clock the CPU, now for some this is simply because they just don't feel like they need to, or don't want to. However the majority say they wont be over-clocking because they don't actually know how to do it.

If your a user who won't be over-clocking due to lack of knowledge, keep reading :)  If not just ignore the rest of my post.

Most, P67 and Z68 motherboards (socket 1155) will come with built in, over-clocking software. This require's zero knowledge at all of how to over-clock or anything involved. ASUS especially comes with a great AI Suite that's very easy to use, has a nice simple GUI and a big red button that says "OVER-CLOCK MY CPU". From personal experience of this, my motherboard over-clocked my i5-2500k right up to 4.5GHz (using a budget after-market cooler). That showed almost 35% performance increase on the stock speeds. Even with the stock cooler your looking at 4GHz or so.

Now lets look at the costs, in the UK at least:
i5-2500 - £162
i5-2500k - £174

For £12 difference, is it really worth missing out on an opportunity for 30%+ extra juice from the same CPU?

The only reason I can see to justify not wanting to spend that little extra would be if you planned to use a H61 motherboard that's really budget based. H61 boards can go for as little as £45, where-as Z68 boards are closer to £75 for a budget one.

Bottom line really is, don't dismiss over-clocking purely based on that your unaware of how to go about doing it. There's plenty of walk-through guides showing how to over-clock i5-2500k's manually, or as written above, use the motherboards features.

Just my thoughts anyway :) 
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2011 12:32:01 PM

I just got my 2500k/Mobo put in this weekend, and I agree Overclocking couldn't be more simple. Though I have yet to use the AI Suite to actually overclock, I've been considering it.
a b à CPUs
December 13, 2011 12:34:10 PM

The forums keep unchecking my option to show my signature. So I am posting again to make it display.
!