Upgrading a year old system with new RAM and CPU! Check it out please

Klimentiy

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Mobo: MSI 870-G45 AM3 (actual chipset is 770, AMD K10)
PSU: OCZ 600MXSP 600W RT
CPU: AMD Phenom II x2 555 (overclocked at 3.7Ghz)
VGA: Gigabyte GTX 460 768Mb (OC'ed to 875/1100/1750 Mhz)
Mem: 2x2Gb GSKILL F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL DDR3-1600 (OC'ed to 8-9-8-24-CR1)

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

I built this system over a year ago. The RAM has went down in price like 4x fold times, and the CPU's almost 50%. So i want to upgrade my CPU and RAM, perhaps may be the mobo as well if i have to.

Now my goal is to OC the CPU, i want either a decent quad or a six core chip. I use this computer mainly for multitasking including games and internet browsing, multiple windows opened at all times.

I want to OC the Ram as well, tighten up the timings.

I was always told i have to Use the same Ram chips, so i would have to go with another pair of 2Gb Gskills CL9 1600's?

I would like to get a combo deal, but i cant seem to find any for my memory and a decent CPU.

I am happy with my GPU at the time. Btw, the resolution is 1920x1080.

I am open to all suggestions, please feel free to critique, bitch me out or flame, any response is better than no response :) Thanks

Should i just stick with my mobo and get a whole new set of 4 memory chips and sell the two Gkill i have right now then wait until Bulldozer comes out so that the prices drop for AM3 socket CPU's?

Solution
I would just drop in something like a 965BE quad, unlocked multiplier, easy to bump up.
You may want to add another 4 gig of memory if you feel you are running low, but overclocking/faster memory won't net you any noticeable gains. So I would just get another pair of what you have.
But honestly, don't expect miracles here. Gaming and internet browsing, with a couple of open Windows is not what we consider heavy multi tasking. If you have the money for this upgrade and don't mind spending it for some marginal performance gains, I would do it. If you are tight on budget though, I would just hang on for a while longer. The money would be better spent on a new platform.
I would just drop in something like a 965BE quad, unlocked multiplier, easy to bump up.
You may want to add another 4 gig of memory if you feel you are running low, but overclocking/faster memory won't net you any noticeable gains. So I would just get another pair of what you have.
But honestly, don't expect miracles here. Gaming and internet browsing, with a couple of open Windows is not what we consider heavy multi tasking. If you have the money for this upgrade and don't mind spending it for some marginal performance gains, I would do it. If you are tight on budget though, I would just hang on for a while longer. The money would be better spent on a new platform.

Solution

Klimentiy

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010

So just 2 more sticks of what i already have? I was under impression that 2Gb 1600MHz 9CL is a bit weak, there is much better memory out there now at this point.

Also, what do you think about 1100T instead of 965 BE?

And one last question, are SSD worth the money at this time or should i wait a bit longer for the price to drop? From my understanding SSD will just launch my applications faster... and this is pretty much the only benefit from it.