How long is the XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB (HD-695A-CNFC)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willardthor

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Hi,

I am assembling a gaming rig where every mm matters.

I am considering the XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB (HD-695A-CNFC).

If you visit the XFX HD 6950 website, you will be presented with the specification for the HD-695A-CNFC. There it says that the card has length 28.7cm.

If you then select the HD-695A-CNFC (by clicking the region circled in red in this image), you get a specification where it says the card has length 25.9cm.

Which is it? 28.7cm or 25.9cm? How is this measured? From connector end to the other end of the card, or just the PCB?

Do you have this card? If so, can you measure it (the length of space it takes inside the case when installed)? If not, do you know of a reliable source for the length of this card?

Thanks,
Willard.

Solution
On the website of the manufacture for this exact model it's written black on white:

Dimensions (Imperial):
11.3 x 4.38 x 1.5
Dimensions (Metric):
28.7 x 11.12 x 3.81

When measuring, you start at the backplate and go all the way to the tip of the heatsink. You do the same for the PCB. You then take into account the longer of the two. But for this card, both are the same as the card looks like a box of facial tissue ^^ too square for my taste...

For the Silverstone case, it's written on their website foir this exact model to be:

Support dual 10.5” graphics card. (26.67cm lenght) but the thing is, [strike]is this with or without the 6 pin connectors plugged in?? Since not every card are created equal I think it's calculating the card alone...

willardthor

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

The SilverStone SG04-FH. I have the case, and underestimated the internal space at my disposal. I did a measure, and from chassis rear (inside) to the air intake fans in the front, the distance is 270mm.

I was hoping to be able to squeeze in a CoolIT ECO C240 A.L.C., placing the radiator at the air intake. However, this would take ca. 24mm from this 270mm space. If all else fails, I will trade my CoolIT ECO C240 A.L.C for the CoolIT ECO A.L.C ("C120", if CoolIT only followed its own naming scheme).

Do you know what exactly they measure when they say the length is 25.9cm?

willardthor

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Hmm... I sent this query to XFX support at the same time I asked here, and just got back this reply:

Hi, thanks for your message, the cards length from part of holding bracket that juts out from the card to the other end of the card is around 28.7cm. Hope this helps. kind regards, James.

Did the guy just pick the safer of the two numbers?

ubercake, how sure are you that the length is 25.9cm?

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
On the website of the manufacture for this exact model it's written black on white:

Dimensions (Imperial):
11.3 x 4.38 x 1.5
Dimensions (Metric):
28.7 x 11.12 x 3.81

When measuring, you start at the backplate and go all the way to the tip of the heatsink. You do the same for the PCB. You then take into account the longer of the two. But for this card, both are the same as the card looks like a box of facial tissue ^^ too square for my taste...

For the Silverstone case, it's written on their website foir this exact model to be:

Support dual 10.5” graphics card. (26.67cm lenght) but the thing is, [strike]is this with or without the 6 pin connectors plugged in?? Since not every card are created equal I think it's calculating the card alone from tip to tip.[/strike]

EDIT: After getting complete the info on various cards, I found out that manufacturers are indeed measuring with the connector plugged in when it's on the tip. Yep, I've found a website reviewing the reference models of each cards:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6950-1gb-vs-geforce-gtx-560-ti-review/2

Look how they measure. Knowing that most manufacturers don't modify the pcb, they all measure with the connectors plugged in. Hey I'm proud to have found out that ^^

Oh well you gotta look for another case... or graphic card. Well then, we'll have to look somewhere else to fit a 6950 in this case (if possible) so let's start with the basics: 1 inch = 2.54 cm

Here is some result I got looking on different manufacturers website:

These are all Radeon HD6950 2GB cards - all measures are Lengh x Witdh x Height

Asus EAH6950/2DI2S/2GD5 : 27.94 x 12.7 cm
Asus EAH6950 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5 : 29.72 x 12.7 cm
Gigabyte GV-R695D5-2GD-B : 29.0 x 12.6 x 3.8 cm
(all Gigabyte 6950 cards have the same measures)
MSI R6950-2PM2D2GD5 : 27.5 x 11.0 x 3.8 cm
MSI R6950 Twin Frozr II/OC : 27.5x11.0x3.8 cm
MSI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC : 27.0 x 11.6 x 3.9 cm
SAPPHIRE HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 : 24.0 x 11.0 x 3.5 cm
SAPPHIRE HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 Dirt3 Edition : 26.0 x 11.0 x 3.5 cm
SAPPHIRE HD 6950 FleX 2GB GDDR5 : 27.0 x 11.0 x 4.0 cm

Also it's good to note that the reference ATI Radeon 6900 series card lenght is 27.0 cm, knowing that this include the cable plugged-in (about 1cm) as both 6 pins connectors are on the tip of the reference card. So as most of the manufacturers sticks to the reference design without modifying anything, unmodified reference design cards are too lenghty for that case by a ridiculous margin... :-(

So we got only two cards that fits the silverstone and both are sapphire cards. btw sapphire used to be THE reference ati radeon card, the one ATI made themselves when they showed up their new cards, then it was released to the other manufacturers to be modified by their own will. At that time, when looking at the specific internal manufacturer code (3 digits code so that the computer can easily know what brand it is) the code for Sapphire cards was "ATI" or "XXX". Don't know if it's still the case though since ATI is now making it's own cards, just to say Sapphire can be considered good for that experience as it plays a role.

Solution

willardthor

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Thank you for a very thorough reply!

XFX updated the HD 6950 page after I contacted their technical support staff and asked them this question. Before I contacted them, they had contradicting measures written in black on white ;-)

The reason why I don't just grab a short HD 6950 card is because the space in my case will be very confined. The shorter cards all have an axial fan which pulls air from inside the case, blows on a head sink, and lets the hot air spill back into the case. I am focusing on the reference design cards because they are cleverly designed to move hot air. There is a centrifugal fan in one end, which can pull fresh air from the front of the case, and then there is a hot air exhaust in the back of the card. Granted, some goes back into the case, but that internal exhaust is in a single place. My plan is then to place a small exhaust fan over that internal exhaust to redirect the hot air flow out of the case.

So, this is why I am only focusing on the reference design. Even they vary in length. Without any modifications, I have 270mm to work with. If I replace the 120x25mm fans that came with the case with 120x20 or a 120x12mm fans, I get the space I need to mount an Asus EAH6950/2DI2S/2GD5 or an MSI R6950-2PM2D2GD5. I can get even more space if I mod the frame which holds the front air intake fans, to get about 10mm extra (but I would prefer not).

Perhaps I am overdoing it. Is the hot air buildup in the case with these axial fan cooled cards (like the SAPPHIRE HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 and the SI R6950 Twin Frozr III Power Edition/OC) not as big an issue as I think?

Did you by any chance figure out the length of the SAPPHIRE HD6950 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E (Sapphire reference design 6950)? It's not written on their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.