Gigabyte superb 720 watss

rolandftw

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
howz it goin. a friend bought me this psu for my b'day and i don't feel like spending money on a different psu. But, is this psu good enough for overclock a gtx 560 non-ti (asus oc verison) to 950mhz and perhaps a intel core i7 2600k to 4ghz? i got basic things, on dvd-drive, a gigabyte z68xp-ud3 mobo, 2 sticks of 4gb kingston hyperx ram (2x4gb) and some other things. is it enough and most importantly, is it safe?

Solution

It should be electrically sufficient for your system using two ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU II OC in 2-way SLI mode as long as you don't manually overclock them beyond their factory overclock settings.

You will have to use two dual 4-pin Molex peripheral to 6-pin PCI Express adapter cables.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
I didn't know that Gigabyte made PSUs. I can't find any listi8ngs for Gigabyte PSUs at Newegg either.

But re. a 720 W PSU: it should be able to easily handle a 1155 mobo OC'inmg the 2600K and running a GTX 560. Safety will depend on the PSU OEM, and I can't tell you if the PSU you list is good or just junk.

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 560 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

The Gigabyte Superb E720 (GE-E720A-C3), with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps and two 6+2 pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is more than capable of powering your system with a single overclocked GeForce GTX 560 graphics card. It is weak in the +12 Volt rails when compared to a reputable name brand 700 Watt power supply unit.

The Gigabyte Superb E720 (GE-E720A-C3) is actually made by (i.e. OEM'd) the FSP Group for Gigabyte.

rolandftw

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Back again, I din want this to close since I knew I would be asking this question. I am looking to buying another gtx 560 ( SAME CARD) for sli. Is this psi sufficient enough? I might not overclock either of them. If NOT, plz suggestthe cheapest reccomended psi I can use but note that I really don want to have to buy another one. Thanks in advanced g
uys.

For a system using two GeForce GTX 560 graphics cards in 2-way SLI mode NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 600 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 37 Amps or greater and that has at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

The Gigabyte Superb E720 (GE-E720A-C3) is sufficient in its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating but is deficient by two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors. You will need to use two dual 4-pin Molex Peripheral to 6-pin PCI Express adapter cables that are usually included in the graphics card package.

It should be electrically sufficient for your system using two ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU II OC in 2-way SLI mode as long as you don't manually overclock them beyond their factory overclock settings.

You will have to use two dual 4-pin Molex peripheral to 6-pin PCI Express adapter cables.

Solution