Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Laptop display fails; external monitor alone works

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 12, 2011 3:50:34 PM

Built-in monitor goes blank during boot. External HP w2408h alone works.
Dell Inspiron 1520 WinXP Pro SP3 3 GB / 320 GB (3-1/2 yo.) Intel GMA 965 chipset (x3100 graphics)
Internal monitor shows BAD_EDID in registry.
Restore points fail at detection of faulty wpfb_igxcrd32.dll (Pivot Software for the 2408)
I pulled backup config folder to c:\windows\system32 and laptop monitor makes it through to loading the Intel GMA chipset drivers via P&P re-discovery. Then both displays fails (2408 back only again after a forced reboot).
Image backups, safe mode, etc don't allow examination of registry w/ previous good EDID settings for the built-in display. During Windows init it says "Display drive has changed. AutoPivot needs to be re-installed..."
Installing or not yields same failure of built-in display.
Re-installed the most recent Dell GMA drivers from website. Ditto for HP drivers. No better.
I am afraid to mess with the Pivot Software dll lest I wind up with a totally usable system.
VMI (sysinfo) also has problems but not sure if this is related.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Jeff
July 12, 2011 6:40:44 PM

The display requires no drivers and is NOT a software issue. you are likely dealing with a dead monitor. at this point there are a few checks you can do.

Hold a bright flashlight up to the monitor and check if you can see any information displayed on the screen. If you can see information it is probably just the back light or inverter for the back light. you can easily replace those with some quick googling.

Otherwise you can replace the screen entirely and it is not too difficult of a process if you find the correct guide to help you along.

Good luck!
July 12, 2011 8:02:22 PM

If the monitor is dead then why does the laptop display work with Recovery Console, Safe Mode and Shadow Protect 2008R Recovery? This was many hours of usage.

Something is changing the registry settings for the default monitor perhaps?
Related resources
July 13, 2011 10:58:51 AM

Jeff, as I understand by your description, you are able to boot to safe mode and recovery console on the system's LCD screen itself. If that is correct then it’s definitely an issue with the corrupt video drivers. I would suggest you to boot to Safe mode and completely remove the drivers including the software and restart the system.
It should boot to normal mode with the default drivers, you can then download and install the Video drivers which should take care of the issue. I have included the link to download the drivers from our support website.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx...

If you still have any concerns please contact our tech support over the phone or reach out to us at @dellcares on twitter or facebook.com/dell, we would be glad to help.

Regards
ShridharAtDell
July 13, 2011 5:12:22 PM

ShridharAtDell said:
Jeff, as I understand by your description, you are able to boot to safe mode and recovery console on the system's LCD screen itself. If that is correct then it’s definitely an issue with the corrupt video drivers. I would suggest you to boot to Safe mode and completely remove the drivers including the software and restart the system.
It should boot to normal mode with the default drivers, you can then download and install the Video drivers which should take care of the issue. I have included the link to download the drivers from our support website.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx...

If you still have any concerns please contact our tech support over the phone or reach out to us at @dellcares on twitter or facebook.com/dell, we would be glad to help.

Regards
ShridharAtDell

Well that didn't work - came back to HP w2408h again. I had used Control Panel to remove the GMA Chipset Media Accelerator which was the only item shown related to graphics drivers. And reinstalled in Safe Mode. You also mentioned deleting "software" in addition to drivers. Did I miss something on the uninstall?

I still suspect I need to delete the faulty registry keys, etc associated with BAD_EDID under default monitor. In Safe Mode this is a daunting prospect with the DOS reg command. Question: Can I delete everything under a BAD_EDID in normal mode and will the system then (a) boot into safe mode; (b) boot normally -- recreating the missing keys. My system is functional on the HP w2408h and I don't want to make it worse right now. Thanks for the assistance.
July 20, 2011 5:55:24 AM

Perhaps much ado about nothing (at least that I care to further understand)... In frustration I finally did a complete bare metal restored from an image backup (12 hrs before the problem -- thank you ShadowProtect!) and everything was back to dual monitor normal. I doubled checked with Malwarebytes full scan which turned up nothing. Perhaps corrupted video drivers from the chkdsk repair. We'll see how the Hitachi does (500GB; 7200 rpm) vs the slower WD that came with the system 3-1/2 years ago...

Best solution

July 20, 2011 5:52:36 PM

Sorry JCN9801 it appears that I misunderstood your symptoms, I was under the impression that it did not work at all. Glad you got your problem fixed!
July 27, 2011 3:24:49 AM

Best answer selected by JCN9801.
!