Install to Different Folders

I find that with a large number of subdirectories right
off C:\Program Files it's hard for me to find what I'm
looking for. I'd like to have a more hierarchical setup,
maybe C:\Program Files\Messaging and then have AOL
Messenger, MS Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, etc., all as
subfolders there. I might similarly have C:\Program
Files\Media with various media playeres, etc.

Alot of the Microsoft programs seem really badly behaved
about asking me where I want them installed! It's even
worse with my second computer, with a fairly small C:
drive, so I want most of these programs installed on
drive D:

How do I tell the Micisift Installers for products like
Messenger, Windows Media Player, Outlook Express, etc. to
ask *me* where *I* want them installed? Is there a
command-line switch or something?

Thanks,
Alan

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

One way to try to get around that problem is to always opt for a Custom
install when you are installing programs - then you are usually given the
option of selecting the drive, directory, and subdirectory you want.

If that option doesn't exist, then you cannot make your own selection.

"bn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I find that with a large number of subdirectories right
> off C:\Program Files it's hard for me to find what I'm
> looking for. I'd like to have a more hierarchical setup,
> maybe C:\Program Files\Messaging and then have AOL
> Messenger, MS Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, etc., all as
> subfolders there. I might similarly have C:\Program
> Files\Media with various media playeres, etc.
>
> Alot of the Microsoft programs seem really badly behaved
> about asking me where I want them installed! It's even
> worse with my second computer, with a fairly small C:
> drive, so I want most of these programs installed on
> drive D:
>
> How do I tell the Micisift Installers for products like
> Messenger, Windows Media Player, Outlook Express, etc. to
> ask *me* where *I* want them installed? Is there a
> command-line switch or something?
>
> Thanks,
> Alan

As Jerry said, always choose "Custom" when installing software and
you'll get the option of which folder aka path you want the software
installed.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service