MP3 Jukebox to use as a Digital Photo Storage Device?

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b G Storage
April 1, 2005 12:55:07 AM

I am looking into buying an MP3 Jukebox and I found out that many of
them can be used for storing files other than MP3's, such as digital
photos. I have an extensive collection of MP3's, so storage size is
important, and sound quality is going to be my primary objective. The
ability to dump my compact flash will be of secondary importance. I
will probably only dump the CF on extended trips like vacations. For a
photo storage device, I would require it to be able to transfer files
without the device being connected to a PC. If it needs a PC, I may as
well store the files there. Also, my budget for this new toy is about
$300.

I was hoping other people in this group would have some experience
with some of these players and be able to provide some feedback. Here
are some players I am considering and some concerns I have about them:

1. IRiver H320 - I am really leaning toward this one. It has an LCD
display to view photos on. However, I am getting conflicting reports
on whether it can transfer files directly from a CF. Some have said
that you can connect a CF card reader directly to the player and copy
files to it. I read where US versions of this player won't transfer
because of Digital Rights Managment. Can anyone verify this?

2. Apple Ipod Photo - looks like a real good option, but very pricey.
Seems like it will copy digital photos and display them on the screen.
I like this one but I think it is way beyond my budget.

3. Apple Ipod - Lots of accessories for this player. Looks like the
only way to copy files away from a PC is by using a card reader. Many
reviews of this option is that the card reader is slow and eats
batteries.

4. Creative Zen Touch - I think this one is not an option for storing
photos, I think that the only way to transfer files is using the
included software on a PC.

5. Archos GMini 400 - Looks like this one does it all. It has an LCD
to view photos, and a memory card reader built in. It also can play
video files. I like this player a lot, but I don't see alot of reviews
on how well it works, and I'm not too familiar with the brand. The
price is a little more than I want to spend.

Sorry this is so long winded. Thanks in advance for any advice.

David
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 1, 2005 12:55:08 AM

Nunya Bidnis <nunyabidnis@xyz.com> writes:
> I am looking into buying an MP3 Jukebox and I found out that many of
> them can be used for storing files other than MP3's, such as digital
> photos. I have an extensive collection of MP3's, so storage size is
> important, and sound quality is going to be my primary objective. The
> ability to dump my compact flash will be of secondary importance. I
> will probably only dump the CF on extended trips like vacations. For a
> photo storage device, I would require it to be able to transfer files
> without the device being connected to a PC. If it needs a PC, I may as
> well store the files there. Also, my budget for this new toy is about
> $300.

This looks interesting. I have no idea about the sound quality.

http://store.yahoo.com/tonyh/apshstcdwi40.html

I think you're right that the iRiver H320's US model doesn't support
the USB host port. I'm not sure that DRM is the reason.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 1, 2005 9:07:55 AM

I have the Zen Touch 40GB version. In terms of sound quality, etc it's
pretty good (97dB SNR). Greatest thing about it is the battery life
(24hrs for playback), which is more than any of the others. But you're
right - you have to install the Nomad Explorer or the Organizer to
transfer files.
a b G Storage
April 1, 2005 10:45:22 AM

"Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote in message
> Nunya Bidnis <nunyabidnis@xyz.com> writes:
>> I am looking into buying an MP3 Jukebox and I found out that many of
>> them can be used for storing files other than MP3's, such as digital
>> photos. I have an extensive collection of MP3's, so storage size is
>> important, and sound quality is going to be my primary objective. The
>> ability to dump my compact flash will be of secondary importance. I
>> will probably only dump the CF on extended trips like vacations. For a
>> photo storage device, I would require it to be able to transfer files
>> without the device being connected to a PC. If it needs a PC, I may as
>> well store the files there. Also, my budget for this new toy is about
>> $300.
>
> This looks interesting. I have no idea about the sound quality.
>
> http://store.yahoo.com/tonyh/apshstcdwi40.html

Well since it doesn't actually play MP3s, there is no sound quality.

Mark
Anonymous
a b G Storage
April 1, 2005 8:03:48 PM

Take a look at the Archos Gmini 120 and 220 mp3 jukeboxes. Both have
integrated CF card readers and should be available in the $200 range.

!