Sign in with
Your question

SATA 2 Ports Invisible to Bios?

Last response: in Motherboards
September 23, 2012 12:48:57 PM

Ill first tell you my issue, then later describe some necessary background info, so that you understand my question immediately.

I have ruled out that ONLY the SATA 3 ports (two of them) work out of all six ports. I have trial many HDD's, and same 'unrecognizable' issue remains. Basically i cannot see any drives that are connected to the SATA 2 ports, and bios and the POST screen become really slow when drives are connected to those ports. Although, when drives are plugged into teh SATA 3 ports, they run perfectly normal.

Is there a way to enable these ports, or make my drives recognizable once plugged into these ports? Or do i have to get a whole new motherboard?

****************** Background Info*****************
Relevant computer setup:

I have a 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 SSD, this has windows 7 pro installed, and is the main drive i boot from and install the majority of my programs on. I also have TWO 500 GB Western Digital Green HDD's, which are setup in RAID 0 (Striped using the OS disk management tool), I store some small programs, and my data on this drive/s. On my mother board i have 4 SATA 2 ports and 2 SATA 3 ports. I plug my SSD into on of the SATA 3 ports (no particular reason) and i plug the RAID drives into the SATA 2 ports.
See full comp specs at bottom of post.

I will now tell you how i came about this problem. I was simply browsing the internet whilst downloading something for my uni course, when suddenly my computer started to get really slow, and then i went to 'My computer' and noticed i couldn't see my HDD's. Restarted comp, and issue still remains.

Thanks for reading, and thanks so much for replying.

SPECS:

4 x 4GB Kingston RAM (16 GB RAM)
Intel core i5 2400 3.30 GHz
1 GB ATI Radeon HD 5850
120 gb OCZ Vertex SSD
2 x 500 gb Western Digital Green HDD's
Thermaltake Lightpower 700 W PSU

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD3R
a b V Motherboard
September 23, 2012 2:56:00 PM

A. Setting Up a RAID-Ready System
Step 1: Configure the system BIOS
Enter the system BIOS Setup program, set eXtreme Hard Drive (X.H.D) under the Integrated Peripherals menu to Enabled to enable RAID for the Intel SATA controllers.
Step 2: Install the RAID driver and operating system
The X.H.D utility supports Windows 7/Vista/XP. Before installing the operating system, you have to load the SATA controller driver first. Without the driver, the hard drive may not be recognized during the Windows setup process. (For more details, refer to Chapter 5, "Installing the SATA RAID/AHCI Driver and Operating System." )
Step 3: Install the motherboard drivers and the X.H.D utiltiy
After installing the operating system, insert the motherboard driver disk. You can click the Xpress Install All button to automatically install all motherboard drivers, including the X.H.D utility. Or you can go to the Application Software screen to individually install the X.H.D utility later. This is from Gigabyte website for your motherboard
m
l
September 24, 2012 5:58:26 AM

For the purpose of fixing these ports i have removed the two RAID drives, and i am just trialing many different standard HDD's and my one SSD in those SATA 2 ports (Problematic ports) one by one, to see if the mother board will recognize them. And so, since i am only connecting one HDD at a time, having RAID turned off should not matter, am i correct?

However, when the SATA 2 ports did work, and i was running the two RAID 0 HDD's, i cannot recall having this X.H.D utility installed or enabled in bios, however i was not booting from these RAID drives, and so i thought it was unnecessary to have it enabled. Surely this couldn't have caused all my SATA 2 ports to become faulty, could it?

Thank again
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 5, 2012 11:32:28 PM

Don't know for sure, that s why I stay away from RAID.
m
l
!