Asrock H77 Pro4 MVP Thoughts

G

I am planning to use this mobo, Asrock H77 Pro4 MVP, for the system below, since it does everything I need it to.

One concern I have is that I hear Asrock boards are made of cheap material and are thinner in general, so they don't last as long. However, since I won't be overclocking, won't be SLI/CFXing, shouldn't this board be sufficient?

This board didn't have any reviews that I could find so I just decided to ask.

If you have used this board, please tell me you experience with it.

System:
i3-2120
Sapphire HD 7770
Corsair Vengeance 2x2GB SDRAM 1600
Seasonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze PSU
Seagate 500GB Barracuda SATA 3
Asus 24x DVD Burner

One concern I have is that I hear Asrock boards are made of cheap material and are thinner in general, so they don't last as long.
How long do you expect it to last? A lot of cheap motherboards still work fine after 10 years.

When using a thinner motherboard, you only need to be more careful when inserting components. You could install the memory modules before mounting the motherbaord in the case.

G

Ten years? I'll probably have a new computer by then. :) That's great, thanks for the thumbs up.

One thing though, since this mobo doesn't have any reviews I wasn't able to find out if it had any known major issues. :/

G

Yeah, the only two. Two other Youtube reviews that just went over the features. Do you think I should just go for a Z68 or P67 board?

Or the Asrock Z77 Pro3? I was considering it, but I read it had a common PCIe slot issue.

If you want a motherboard that has been released at least a year or two ago, then you have no other option. On the other hand, which ones are you convinced will be better and last longer than the Asrock H77 Pro4 MVP? Asus, ASRock, Gigabyte and others have been building socket 1155 motherboards for a few years.

G

Wait, what did you mean no H77's are great? Because they can't overclock?

I'm really not sure what mobo will last long. As you said, I think the mobo should last long as long as it was manufactured properly and I don't buy a defective board. That's why I've been asking for advice but all I've been getting is "cheapest 1155 socket board", and this seems to fit that description.

I don't know much about Giga boards.

Wait, what did you mean no H77's are great?
There won't be any full featured $300 H77 motherboards because there's no market for those. They just can't compete with the best Z77 motherboards, but that doesn't mean they won't last as long. The only motherboard that ever failed on me in the last 10 years was a rather expensive motherboard.

Gigabyte manufacture good motherboards. If you're looking for an H77 motherboard, then you could also consider this Gigabyte mATX motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128548

G

Thanks, but I might need the extra PCI slots in the future, that's why I wanted an ATX, but its ATX version is not sold on Newegg.

I found this board: The Asus P8Z77-V LX

It seems really awesome, just the -V without all the features I don't really need like SLI. It supports CFX though, but the other PCIe slot is running @ 4x mode, so that probably won't work too well.

The only complaints I'm seeing on it are DOAs.

What do you think? It's pretty cheap too. :) Thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate the help.

If you need 2 PCIe slots at 8x, then why don't you consider the ASUS P8Z77-V LK http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131837? After the $20 rebate, it costs the same as the LX and it includes 8GB of memory. Any motherboard can be DOA, but the reviewer may also be responsible for the failure. The actual failure rate is low because people having issues are more likely to post a review.

G

Wow, that's a great price. :) I'll be getting this mobo then, thanks for all the advice and all that, at least I've chosen a mobo now and am ready to start building this PC. :D

TRENDING THREADS