Sign in with
Your question

URGENT!! NEED HELP with Radeon 4850 or ?? for my system

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 12, 2011 5:21:44 PM

hi all,

I think I need to replace my current graphic's card. I don't play any games, many watch Blu Ray movies and edit pics via photoshop. Of course do alot of surfing as well but don't think I put much load on my video card. I would like something more basic than my current GT 220 but probably don't need it. Only reason for replacement is because it continues to freeze on me regardless of the fact that I have cleaned out my system and reinstalled everything twice. It is strange as the freezing ONLY starts when I there is excess LOAD on the video card. I could run some vids ok, but when I enlarge to full screen on most, the system freezes and recovers afterwards!!

I am looking at the Radeon 4850 512mb or 1gb. Does anyone recommend anything else similar in price which would be better for my system?

My current computer configuration is:

Acer Aspire X3812

Carte Mère : Acer WG43M

Chipset : Intel G43/G45

Processeur : Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2500MHz

Mémoire physique : 8192Mo (4 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )

Carte graphique : NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 (I've noticed that my video card ONLY has 2 slots, DVI and HMDI) The Acer tower is slim in design so don't know if it would support wider cards.

Disque dur : Seagate ST31000528AS (1000Go)

Type de moniteur : Viseo 220Dx - 22 pouces (1920 x 1080)

Carte réseau : Intel 82567V-2 Gigabit Network Connection

Système d'Exploitation : Windows 7 Ultimate Professionnel Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64bits)

If you need any other info to help, please let me know. I would really appreciate some tips as I really do need to replace this card as the constant freezing is RIDICULOUS!!

Thanks in advance for any help.
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2011 5:40:38 PM

Power supply? I would get a hd5770 or hd6770. They would work just fine and give you DX11 and efficiency.
July 12, 2011 6:40:59 PM

HostileDonut said:
Power supply? I would get a hd5770 or hd6770. They would work just fine and give you DX11 and efficiency.

I don't know the power supply, maybe I'm a little naive but I have searched and cannot seem to locate the info. Where would I find the info?

Could you also tell me the difference between the 4850, 5770, and 6770? I looked on the hierarchy chart of GC and see that the 4850 rates really well among the others and is several classes better than my existing GT 220. I really don't play any games, just alot of photo editing, movies, and so forth.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks again for the help.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2011 7:07:54 PM

pekingduck1225 said:
I don't know the power supply, maybe I'm a little naive but I have searched and cannot seem to locate the info. Where would I find the info?

Could you also tell me the difference between the 4850, 5770, and 6770? I looked on the hierarchy chart of GC and see that the 4850 rates really well among the others and is several classes better than my existing GT 220. I really don't play any games, just alot of photo editing, movies, and so forth.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks again for the help.

The hd5770 is better for games and the strongest card, but the hd6770 would be your best choice because of it's power efficiency. you woulc open you case and tell me the brand name and PSU wattage.
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2011 7:09:57 PM

You would need to upgrade your PSU, you only have 220w.
July 12, 2011 7:10:19 PM

OK just found out the my computer has an ABISMAL 220W power supply!! Should I change this for a more powerful one? My case is a slim-case design and there is NO additional room for a LARGER power supply. Are more powerful power supplies the same size?
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2011 7:24:19 PM

Can you give me the dimensions of the PSU? Also, can you measure the space you have for a GPU?
July 12, 2011 7:42:33 PM

Current power supply is a Liteon PE-5221-08 220W.

Measurements are 20cm (L) , 9cm (w), 5cm (h).

Unfortunately, my slim cased Acer Aspire X3812 case has NO MORE room for anything bigger than this!! BS I know.

What do you think I should do? Do you think the HD 4850 would work with my current power supply if I cannot upgrade to a 5770 or 6770?
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2011 9:59:50 PM

pekingduck1225 said:
Current power supply is a Liteon PE-5221-08 220W.

Measurements are 20cm (L) , 9cm (w), 5cm (h).

Unfortunately, my slim cased Acer Aspire X3812 case has NO MORE room for anything bigger than this!! BS I know.

What do you think I should do? Do you think the HD 4850 would work with my current power supply if I cannot upgrade to a 5770 or 6770?

I am no expert on ITX PSUs... sorry... I don't know.
July 12, 2011 9:59:56 PM

Hi,
Your PSU is definatly, needing for an upgrade. 220W is very low in power and your definatly goner need to jump to atleast 450-500W. For the Gpu, i would recommend for the style of computer use you are having, i guess the 4850 is a perfect card for what you need. It will handle those blu-ray movies perfectly and photoshop wouldnt be a problem. Go for the 4850 if you have the money, but dont forget!!! Remember to get a new PSU!!!
a b U Graphics card
July 12, 2011 10:00:55 PM

Kari said:
that sounds like mini-itx sized psu...
does it look something like these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

edit googled it and it is a mini-itx / flex atx unit... good luck finding a more powerfull one :p 

Also, i don' know what GPU will work in there... It is pretty small...
July 12, 2011 10:13:50 PM

Quote:
Hi,
Your PSU is definatly, needing for an upgrade. 220W is very low in power and your definatly goner need to jump to atleast 450-500W. For the Gpu, i would recommend for the style of computer use you are having, i guess the 4850 is a perfect card for what you need. It will handle those blu-ray movies perfectly and photoshop wouldnt be a problem. Go for the 4850 if you have the money, but dont forget!!! Remember to get a new PSU!!!

hi Joe,

Thanks for the comments. May I ask you a question since I really am a noob. If I were to upgrade my PSU (450w) to accomodate the Radeon HD4850 it would cost me around 200 EUR. Probably more than half of what my system is worth!!

I was thinking about maybe getting a GeForce GT240 (DDR3) which would cost me 56 EUR and from what I have read so far, it is VERY efficient and does not use alot of power. I think my POS PSU could handle the GT240, no? At least it would be an immediate solution to my crashing current GT220 and I would probably buy another ENTIRE system to supplement my system now instead of spending additional money on this system. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Gainward-GeForce-GT-240-512Mo-Carte-...

Thanks again for the help.
July 12, 2011 10:17:20 PM

HostileDonut said:
Also, i don' know what GPU will work in there... It is pretty small...

I found a PSU that I think would work but it is going to cost me 130 EUR + GPU (around 70 EUR) for total cost of 200 EUR. Probably more than half of what my system is worth!!

I was thinking about maybe getting a GeForce GT240 (DDR3) which would cost me 56 EUR and from what I have read so far, it is VERY efficient and does not use alot of power. I think my POS PSU could handle the GT240, no? At least it would be an immediate solution to my crashing current GT220 and I would probably buy another ENTIRE system to supplement my system now instead of spending additional money on this system. What do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Gainward-GeForc [...] 3a66a222db

a c 271 U Graphics card
July 12, 2011 10:19:25 PM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • URGENT NEED RECOMMENDATION for my current system.
    a b U Graphics card
    July 12, 2011 10:19:58 PM

pekingduck1225 said:
    I found a PSU that I think would work but it is going to cost me 130 EUR + GPU (around 70 EUR) for total cost of 200 EUR. Probably more than half of what my system is worth!!

http://cgi.ebay.fr/Gainward-GeForc [...] 3a66a222db

well, it MIGHT support a 240, but I wouldn't take the chance.
    July 12, 2011 11:06:04 PM

Your current system is freezing, because of the PSU, not because of the graphics card. The graphics card just don't receive enough power to operate normaly. Change the PSU with at least 400-450W and I believe everithing will be OK. If with this PSU you add a 5770 to your systm it will simply not start at all.
    July 12, 2011 11:17:31 PM

badtaylorx said:
    this will solve your issues
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

it fits right into a dvd drive bay and will power any gfx card ....and you still use your psu to power the rest of your computer

This is a way overkill for his system.
    And a decent regular 400W PSU /which is enough/ is somewhere around 50USD, not 200.

a b U Graphics card
    July 12, 2011 11:23:55 PM

pepe2907 said:
    And a decent regular 400W PSU /which is enough/ is somewhere around 50USD, not 200.

Yeah, a non-ITX power supply...
    a b U Graphics card
    July 12, 2011 11:25:31 PM

pepe2907 said:

size is the issue tho...he only has room for an itx psu ......and its only 80usd
    July 12, 2011 11:28:25 PM

pepe2907 said:
    Your current system is freezing, because of the PSU, not because of the graphics card. The graphics card just don't receive enough power to operate normaly. Change the PSU with at least 400-450W and I believe everithing will be OK. If with this PSU you add a 5770 to your systm it will simply not start at all.

Thanks for the advice. You are probably correct that it is my PSU and not my GPU that is crashing my system as it freezes sometimes even though the GPU is not under heavy load. I just went ahead and bought a NEW PSU (500W) that will fit into my slim ITx case. Cost my 113 EUR with shipping. Hope this solves my problem.

I will probably upgrade the GPU anyways to either a Radeon HD 4850 or GeForce GT 240. Which one would be better in your opinion?
    a b U Graphics card
    July 12, 2011 11:31:04 PM

the 4850
    July 12, 2011 11:37:08 PM

badtaylorx said:
    size is the issue tho...he only has room for an itx psu ......and its only 80usd

Unfortunately I don't have enough room in my current slim box which is why I need an ITX sized PSU. I wish I could simply add the booster you listed but it will not fit into my box config.

Anyways, I just bought a PSU from Ebay, listed below. Hope it works.

Forgot to link the PSU I bought on Ebay. I am in France.

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=13054...

The one you listed, I don't think it would fit into my slim case as I need one that is around 20cm (L) x 9cm (w) x 5.3cm (h).
    July 12, 2011 11:57:21 PM

Not absolutely sure, but what's about nvidia cards gt240 seems to me kind of outdated /and not so magnificent architecture actually/. I'd consider something like /128bit variants of/ GT 430 for even a lower price /and more power efficient I think/ or even a GTS 450 - little more expensive, but usualy comes with some rebates.
    But, correct me if I am wrong, but 4850 is something of a completely different class - it's a high class card, although not the newest model.
    July 13, 2011 12:07:50 AM

pepe2907 said:
    Not absolutely sure, but what's about nvidia cards gt240 seems to me kind of outdated /and not so magnificent architecture actually/. I'd consider something like /128bit variants of/ GT 430 for even a lower price /and more power efficient I think/ or even a GTS 450 - little more expensive, but usualy comes with some rebates.
    But, correct me if I am wrong, but 4850 is something of a completely different class - it's a high class card, although not the newest model.

Hi,

Yes the 4850 is a higher class card BUT it is the same price where I am in France. At least I can get it for around the same price which is why I asked regarding these 2. I was also recommended the 5770 or 6770 but I think they are more expensive and probably would be overkill for my general purposes. I am not a GAMER and would use the better GPU for photo-editing, blu ray movies, etc...

Just want to get the most bang for my buck since I am probably going to upgrade the GPU anyways. And now that I have sufficient power with the 500W PSU I just bought, I figured to have more options.
    July 13, 2011 12:10:17 AM

Then go for a 4850 without any hesitation :) 

And btw I think 4850 will trumple 5770 to the ground. You basically get a high level card for the price of an average mid level.

I mean - why you even ask :) .
    July 13, 2011 12:15:40 AM

pepe2907 said:
    Then go for a 4850 without any hesitation :) 

Great!! Thanks so much for the help. It was greatly appreciated!!

Last question. I have read that the 4000 series Radeon cards run HOT and the newer 5000 and 6000 series run significantly cooler. Should I be concerned about overheating since I have such a SMALL and SLIM sized ITX case? There is ONLY 1 fan in my box besides the one that would be attached to the GPU and PSU.
    July 13, 2011 12:30:19 AM

5770 is clocked very high, compared to 4850 it's with lower transistor count, but higher clock. And is hot. 6770 is cooler, but less powerfull. 5770 is the highest clocked variant of it's hardware, while there is a higher clocked variant of 4850 - the 4870 - meaning - as a chip it can take considerably more stress. And there are 4850s with very good cooling solutions, so I pretty much doubt it to be hotter as 5770. Ofcourse it depends much of the particular model, but still...
    a c 84 U Graphics card
    July 13, 2011 10:44:50 PM

the reference design 4850 had a single slot cooler with a small fan. Avoid these if possible, they were loud and hot under load.

5770 and 6770 are the exact same chip/card, though the 6770 has an added feature: hdmi 1.4a. (Can you say 'renamed')

also 5770 is FASTER than a 4850, runs cooler and uses less electrical power
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Powercolor/HD_5770_P...

unless the 4850 is a lot cheaper, go with the 5770 or 6770

edit bloody noobs and their misinformation :mad: 
    July 13, 2011 11:45:43 PM

Kari said:
    the reference design 4850 had a single slot cooler with a small fan. Avoid these if possible, they were loud and hot under load.

5770 and 6770 are the exact same chip/card, though the 6770 has an added feature: hdmi 1.4a. (Can you say 'renamed')

also 5770 is FASTER than a 4850, runs cooler and uses less electrical power

unless the 4850 is a lot cheaper, go with the 5770 or 6770

edit bloody noobs and their misinformation :mad: 

hi Kari,

Thanks for the help. My slim Acer case UNFORTUNATELY is too small and thin for a double slotted card with larger cooling fan. I have measured it and because of the motherboard positioning inside my box, there is little room for a double slotted card. When I remove my existing card, which is approximately 2.1cm in thickness (height), there is no more room. My existing GT 220 card has a small fan on top of it BUT it is very slim in design to accommodate the case. It might be OEM since it ONLY has a DVI and HMDI slot, no other slot since the case is slim in design. This is where I am stuck!!

I could probably get away with getting a wider card and have it stick out a little since I will run the system with an open case BUT the height of the card is what worries me. I would love to get a Gainward Radeon HD 4850 Golden Sample since it runs cooler and also is slightly overclocked: http://www.fudzilla.com/reviews/item/18876-gainward-rad...

I can get this card from a friend for a STEAL!! 50 EUR to be exact but because of the thick cooling fan and since it would take up 2 slots, I don't think I would have the room. Any card I get NEEDS to be a single slot card with a slim cooling system to fit. My box is actually strange in that it has 2 slots BUT where the card connects to the motherboard, there is ONLY a 2.2cm GAP to the top of the case which limits the card thickness. There is NO way to adjust this as I have examined the case and where the motherboard is screwed into the case CANNOT be moved. I don't think it would be wise to FORCE a thicker card in place and bend the connectors downward to fit.

Was looking at this option as well and it looks to be a single slot card with a larger cooling system which might fit my case. What do you think? http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

I am REALLY in nee of help and suggestions so please let me know what you think as this is a dilemma for me at the moment. Thanks in advance for the help.

a c 84 U Graphics card
    July 14, 2011 12:19:18 AM

well the one you linked is deactivated item and out of stock, so you wont be getting it anytime soon (ever). Though you being in France you wont be buying anything from newegg anyways :p P....

anyhow, there are similar cards in the 6770 flock as well, like this one
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

whether it will fit, I dont know, you'll have to make some pretty accurate guesses about the positioning of the heatsink and the limits of your case...

though.. You wouldn't be having a low profile card? something like this one (notice the low profile back plate in one of the pictures..)
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImage...
    that would limit your choices quite a lot...
    July 14, 2011 12:35:04 AM

hi Kari,

Well the 6570 seems slimmer in design and probably would fit better as I notice that the heatsink on the 6770 is taller.

If you look at the 5th pick where it shows the low-profile bracket, my current card actually has the bracket just left of the low-profile bracket which contains ports for DVI and HDMI only, and does not include the detachable VGA port.

Are there any cards that are low-profile or not as tall like the 6570 in the link you showed me which are similar in quality and performance as a 4850, 5770, 6770? What about a 5750 or actually any card which is lower profile?

July 14, 2011 1:26:46 AM

Kari said:
    well the one you linked is deactivated item and out of stock, so you wont be getting it anytime soon (ever). Though you being in France you wont be buying anything from newegg anyways :p P....

anyhow, there are similar cards in the 6770 flock as well, like this one
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

whether it will fit, I dont know, you'll have to make some pretty accurate guesses about the positioning of the heatsink and the limits of your case...

though.. You wouldn't be having a low profile card? something like this one (notice the low profile back plate in one of the pictures..)
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImage...
    that would limit your choices quite a lot...

hi Kari,

Well the 6570 seems slimmer in design and probably would fit better as I notice that the heatsink on the 6770 is taller.

If you look at the 5th pick where it shows the low-profile bracket, my current card actually has the bracket just left of the low-profile bracket which contains ports for DVI and HDMI only, and does not include the detachable VGA port.

Are there any cards that are low-profile or not as tall like the 6570 in the link you showed me which are similar in quality and performance as a 4850, 5770, 6770? What about a 5750 or actually any card which is lower profile?
    a c 84 U Graphics card
    July 14, 2011 9:04:21 AM

pekingduck1225 said:
    well they are both low profile brackets.. Sounds like you really should buy a low profile card.

Because of the limited board area available on the low-profile cards, they are only made with slower, low power chips. For the 6000 series it looks like only 6450 and 6570 are available as low-profile versions...

And FYI the 'low-profile' is standardized form factor with limits on how big the card can be.
    July 14, 2011 11:23:43 AM

Kari said:
    well they are both low profile brackets.. Sounds like you really should buy a low profile card.

Because of the limited board area available on the low-profile cards, they are only made with slower, low power chips. For the 6000 series it looks like only 6450 and 6570 are available as low-profile versions...

And FYI the 'low-profile' is standardized form factor with limits on how big the card can be.

hi Kari,

Thanks again for the help. I will ask the community but wanted to ask you 1st what you think would be the best LOW PROFILE card for the money would be? BANG for the BUCK as they say?
    a c 84 U Graphics card
    July 14, 2011 6:44:54 PM

HD5670 with gddr5 memory
    at least from the ones listed at newegg.com
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

heres a good review of a slow card (6450 passive), just look at the summary graphs to see relative performance of different cards for the last 2 generations.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/HD_6450_Pas...
    And find out what low profile cards they are selling at your local online retailer, and make a choice.
    There are few modells missing from the chart but look at their listed specs to make some guesses about their performance..
    July 14, 2011 7:47:54 PM

Dear Kari, get for example this chart:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2010-gaming-graphics...
    and say me how exactly do you came to the conclusion that 5770 is faster than 4850??? Unless ofcourse you have in mind a resolution of 480x360 for which unfortunately I can't find reliable tests. Or on boiling eggs?
    July 14, 2011 8:21:37 PM

Dear Pekingduck, if you go to a site like newegg.com /I am referencing it, as I am most frequently using it/ if you go in desktop videocard section and switch to power search, there is an option to search only for low profile, or low profile ready cards and there are several cards to choose from. I don't think somebody else may choose for you, but if you like more as one card, you have some doubts about your choice etc., you may ask for an opinion :) 
    As I see, these cards /better ones of them/ are mostly Radeon 5570s /SAPPHIRE 100293L Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card/, 6570s, even 5670 /MSI R5670-PD512 Radeon HD 5670 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card with Eyefinity/, and Nvidia GF 430 /SPARKLE SXT4301024S3LHS GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card/ and some 440 /Palit NEAT4400HD01-1081F GeForce GT 440 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card/. I am mostly an Nvidia oriented /feel myself more comfortable with them and they generaly have better OpenGL, which is important for me/ and a GF430 or 440 would be a nice upgrade to your 220 but I shoud admit ATI/AMD offers more choices in this segment.
    a c 84 U Graphics card
    July 14, 2011 9:39:39 PM

pepe2907 said:
    Dear Kari, get for example this chart:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2010-gaming-graphics...
    and say me how exactly do you came to the conclusion that 5770 is faster than 4850??? Unless ofcourse you have in mind a resolution of 480x360 for which unfortunately I can't find reliable tests. Or on boiling eggs?

Well if you looked at the summary graphs at TPU that I linked to, you would have seen it yourself
    ""To create this graph we took all performance results of the five resolutions we tested, threw them together and calculated the relative performance of each card, compared to our review sample. In a sixth graph we also combined all tests in all resolutions to calculate the total relative performance of the review sample.""
    4850 77%
    5770 stock 97%
    factory oced 100% (the reference card for this graph)

July 14, 2011 9:43:44 PM

So you mean a particular highly overclocked 5770 is faster than the average 4870?
    Maybe. Barely noticeable, wait, actualy not at all, they both are at 100%.
    But I may say you that - the difference will be bigger if you overclock the 5770 even higher, and don't mind burning it, the important thing is to pass the test, and underclock the 4870.
    Unfortunately whatever you do with a 5770, you would never beat even a slightly overclocked 4870. And the 4870 have a plenty of room for overclocking.
    a c 84 U Graphics card
    July 14, 2011 9:44:46 PM

pepe2907 said:
    So you mean a particular highly overclocked 5770 is faster than de average 4870? Maybe. Barely noticeable. But I may say you that - the difference will be biger if you overclock the 5770 even higher, and don't mind burning it, the important thing is to pass the test, and underclock the 4870.

lol no stock 5770 is faster than a 4850 lol

you are looking the results from a wrong card lol
    a c 84 U Graphics card
    July 14, 2011 9:52:07 PM

@pepe also the toms 3dmark06 results that you linked to shows that 5770 scores higher than a 4850, We've never talked about 4870...
    July 14, 2011 9:53:22 PM

Sorry, my mistake :) , I realy had in mind the 4870.

But anyway - if pekingduck can find a 4850 for 50$ /same applies for 50E/ - it's a good deal, very good.
    !