mixing PC100 and PC133

G

I am looking to upgrade my PII400 on a P2B to a Tbird 900 on an ABit KT7. Right now I have 1 128M Samsung -GH PC100 DIMM and 1 Micron PC133 128M DIMM. I will probably buy another 128M PC133 DIMM.

My question is if I mix the PC100 and PC133 on the KT7 it all runs at 100Mhz, right? So, am I better off selling the PC100 DIMM and have 256M PC133 or would I see better performance by keeping the PC100 and have 384M at essentially PC100?

Thanks for your help,
Eric

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You will see a much greater performance increase by using 133MHz memory. This allows the Front Side Bus, (assuming that your motherboard supports 133MHz memory) to run 33% faster than a 100 FSB speed. This increases the speed of nearly everything in the computer. While Windows does run better with larger amounts of RAM installed, this performance benefit decreases exponentially once you go past 128MB. Only graphic-intensive applications, or programs that are capable of using large amounts of memory really benefit once you go over 128MB.

And so ... raising the FSB speed, and having 256MBs of 133MHz RAM, is vastly preferable to 384MB of PC100.

I would suggest that you run 256MBs of RAM if you using Win 98 SE or Win ME. Many new programs and games are demanding more and more physical memory ... it's best to be ready if you prefer to stay up-to-date.

Note: Don't mix and match RAM, if you can avoid it. That's just asking for problems, due to differences in the manufacturing processes amongst varying companies. Plus ... if you install both 133MHz and 100MHz RAM, you will be negating the purpose of having the faster RAM. It won't hurt anything, but a system can only run as fast as its slowest component, and the 133MHz RAM will be forced to run at 100MHz, as will the FSB.

Good luck ... Toejam31

G

One thing I'd change about that, 98 runs up to 128MB well. After that application becomes responsible for making proper use over it. Things like video editing and photo work take as much memory as you can throw at it usually. With 2K it utilizes up to 256MB well and everything past that becomes app dependant. Linux will cache hard drive access with all available mem so throw as much at it as you like and it'll help (assuming programs being run are bigger than physical memory). I'd have to agree with statement about avoiding mixing and matching mem types, though if you want to see how much of a difference it'll make, try benchmarking with both setups and see how it runs. If you're a gamer then a simple fps on a demo will tell you the impact (if any). Other stuff you might have to download a benchmark.

Hope it helps.

"The answer is not in your hair."
"I'd rather jump in the lava than be fragged by you."