hard disk only reading 127gb

I have winodws xp professional and i have a 160gb ata 133
and a 250gb sata, but it is only reading 127gb on both
drives and i can't get it to read the full 160 and 250. I
have had people tell me to download service pack 1, but i
have tried hundreds of times and it will not let me
download it, it says server not responding, but the
internet connection is perfectly fine. If anyone could
please help me it would be greatly appreciated. THANKS
10 answers Last reply
More about hard disk reading 127gb

    "Ryan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I have winodws xp professional and i have a 160gb ata 133
    | and a 250gb sata, but it is only reading 127gb on both
    | drives and i can't get it to read the full 160 and 250. I
    | have had people tell me to download service pack 1, but i
    | have tried hundreds of times and it will not let me
    | download it, it says server not responding, but the
    | internet connection is perfectly fine. If anyone could
    | please help me it would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

    Here's something from a hard drive manufacturer.

    http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/capacity/137/os/winxp.html

    If you're having trouble downloading SP1 from the WinUpdate site try the
    Network download here.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp1/default.mspx

    That downloads the entire update to your hard drive and installs from there.

    (hope you have broadband :)

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    Hi Ryan,

    This has nothing to do with service pack 1. Most hard drives have the ability to limit the space
    usage through jumper settings. I would suggest you to go through the manual of the hard disk and
    make sure that the jumper settings are correct.

    This may also be the case if your hard drives are formatted using the FAT 32 file system.

    Limitations of the FAT32 file system in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314463&ID=kb;en-us;Q314463

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Ryan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have winodws xp professional and i have a 160gb ata 133
    > and a 250gb sata, but it is only reading 127gb on both
    > drives and i can't get it to read the full 160 and 250. I
    > have had people tell me to download service pack 1, but i
    > have tried hundreds of times and it will not let me
    > download it, it says server not responding, but the
    > internet connection is perfectly fine. If anyone could
    > please help me it would be greatly appreciated. THANKS

    Someone else said that it could only be able to read 24
    bit and i formatted it with ntfs. I read through the
    manual and everything is set right. Many other people
    have had this problem, and alot of people say its
    windows... i have no idea though. Thanks

    You may also want to contact the support professionals of the hard disk manufacturer.

    --

    > Someone else said that it could only be able to read 24
    > bit and i formatted it with ntfs. I read through the
    > manual and everything is set right. Many other people
    > have had this problem, and alot of people say its
    > windows... i have no idea though. Thanks

    You do need SP1 to get the full drive size.

    > Someone else said that it could only be able to read 24
    > bit and i formatted it with ntfs. I read through the
    > manual and everything is set right. Many other people
    > have had this problem, and alot of people say its
    > windows... i have no idea though. Thanks

    That is incorrect. What makes you think that Windows XP didnt support drives larger than 137 GB
    prior to SP1 ?

    --

    "RonK" <imhere@home.net> wrote in message news:iL9Kc.51645$RD4.2292747@news20.bellglobal.com...
    > You do need SP1 to get the full drive size.
    >

    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Someone else said that it could only be able to read 24
    >> bit and i formatted it with ntfs. I read through the
    >> manual and everything is set right. Many other people
    >> have had this problem, and alot of people say its
    >> windows... i have no idea though. Thanks

    This makes me know that !
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" <anando@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > That is incorrect. What makes you think that Windows XP didnt support
    drives larger than 137 GB
    > prior to SP1 ?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "RonK" <imhere@home.net> wrote in message
    > > You do need SP1 to get the full drive size.
    > >

    > > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Someone else said that it could only be able to read 24
    > >> bit and i formatted it with ntfs. I read through the
    > >> manual and everything is set right. Many other people
    > >> have had this problem, and alot of people say its
    > >> windows... i have no idea though. Thanks

    How did you get to be an MS-MVP with that blunder? Prior to SP1, XP
    did not support 48-bit LBA enabled BIOS, thus the largest hard drive
    size for 24-bit LBA enabled BIOS was 137GB. Why don't you read
    Q303013 for more info.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service

    Star Fleet Admiral Q wrote:
    > How did you get to be an MS-MVP with that blunder? Prior to SP1, XP
    > did not support 48-bit LBA enabled BIOS, thus the largest hard drive
    > size for 24-bit LBA enabled BIOS was 137GB. Why don't you read
    > Q303013 for more info.

    This was not a blunder. Drives >137GB could be used without any problems,
    prior to XP SP1, as long as they were partitioned properly. You simply could
    not have a single partition >137GB.

    You have been summarily reduced to the rank of Star Fleet Captain until you
    become perfect. :)

    --
    Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

    http://www.dts-l.org
    http://www.mvps.org
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

    Guinan reckons that he should be busted down to 'ensign'..

    "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Star Fleet Admiral Q wrote:
    > > How did you get to be an MS-MVP with that blunder? Prior to SP1, XP
    > > did not support 48-bit LBA enabled BIOS, thus the largest hard drive
    > > size for 24-bit LBA enabled BIOS was 137GB. Why don't you read
    > > Q303013 for more info.
    >
    > This was not a blunder. Drives >137GB could be used without any problems,
    > prior to XP SP1, as long as they were partitioned properly. You simply
    could
    > not have a single partition >137GB.
    >
    > You have been summarily reduced to the rank of Star Fleet Captain until
    you
    > become perfect. :)
    >
    > --
    > Ronnie Vernon
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    > http://www.dts-l.org
    > http://www.mvps.org

Configuration Hard Drives Windows XP